[Newbie's Review] Rudistor RP010B MkII : Quad Mono Headphone-Pre Amp.
Oct 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

OmoNemo

New Head-Fier
DSC03090.jpg

Prologue: A decade and couple years ago I used to work in the club, that's the time I explored the music world that had me realized how cool the sound of live performance was, even though I quit the job for running my own business but the passion in the music still, so I get myself a small cans set-up that I could enjoy the songs from my CDs collection after work.

Sometimes I went out Cans Jam with my friends so we could share our thought on songs and learn the differences between sound signature of the Cans and amps from various manufacturers, for doing that, live performance experienced as well as an hours of observation still in need so we could defines how good&different the sound were.

Few weeks ago my good friend peeradonn give me an opportunity testing his Rudistor RP010B MkII with my Cans set-up and I kinda like it so I decide to share my expression with you guys.

My setup:
Cans: ATH L3K, Senn HD650+Equinox XLR, W5K+Equinox XLR, GS1K and UE11 Pro.
CD : C.E.C. TL51XR
PC: Mac mini
DAC: Bel canto Dac3
Amps: Rudistor RP010B, RSA the Apache
Cables: Cardas Golden Reference XLR, Kimber AGDL Digital XLR, Kimber B-bus USB, Kimber PK10 power cords.

DSC03086.jpg

First Impression: The size is huge for the headphone amp, the sound was Neutral and Real out of my L3K, I'd say it's more like the sound of lives performance from my Jazz collections and tubes like in sound signature, most of all the amp is slamming on Rocks. With the CD "The weaver's Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1963" the Soundstage is wide, deep and transparent, the Ambient is great, the background is black using both Balanced&Single-ended.

Bass: Punchy, tight, deep, detailed, the separation of deep mid and upper bass are outstanding, the PRaT[Pace Rhythm and Timing] is good, I think I'm in love with the fast & precise note in low area from the amp.

With full size cans both close & open the bass is great but how about an IEM? my UE11 has some problem with the boomy bass while plugged into many headphone amps but not this RP010B, the quantity and quality is perfect out of my UE11.

Midrange: The amp has excellent midrange, it's full, neutral, smooth, perfectly presented&warm, a bit recess so it's good for a long period listening session.

Comparing with the midrange of STAX SR-007A+Woo GES Maxed Electrostatic headphone amp, it's even in smoothness and shared almost the same sound signature but STAX setup is somewhat better.

The female voice out of my L3000 is full, lively and feel like the singer is standing right in front of me, especially Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem".

Treble: Silky, lively, extended and tamed my W5K tinny sound[before I had fitz modd]. I have to admit that I like the treble from the tube amp over solid state, I thought the treble of SS amp are edgy and also has a sibilant mid-hi but after the listening session with RP010B I have to change my point of views with all that.

The sound of cymbal, hi-hats and brass percussions are sharp and extend, the dynamic are fast as they should be, I could hear the clear long vibrating resonance after they've been hit as well as the sound of guitar strings from the CDs "Sound of Wood&Steel and Persuasive percussion", the focus of the higher notes are excellent.

Tonality: Smooth and Natural.

RP010B and RSA The Apache in Comparison: Using balance mode IMO they are par in details and image, RP010B excels Apache in Low freq, clarity, depth layering, The soundstage is more 3D and slightly wider than The Apache.

DSC03088.jpg

Conclusions: If you want the Musically, Neutral, Wide soundstage, Vividly detail and Tube like sound signature Solid state Amp, this is the amp for you.

IMO when I listen to the sound from my L3K connected with RP010B felt like I could "interact" with the sound that I've heard, as the feeling I had when listen to the musician play in Live performance, that's all I could say about the amp, Thank you for reading this far. "Enjoy your listening"

Thanks peeradonn, I'm agreed with you that this amp sound good with any Cans especially the dark ones, appreciated my friend.
L3000.gif

For more info: HIC SUNT LEONES.....RP010

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 21
Thank for Sharing

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Great Review, I'll tell rudi about this, I think he'll like to read!

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Great impression and sharing, and welcome to the Rudi owners club
smily_headphones1.gif

For myself, after I have the RP010B MKII at home, I have very little intention to try other SS amps - at least not until the new 3 Channel Headcode surfaces....

F. Lo

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 21
IMHO, GS-X is the not the same league of Rudistor RP010B MkII

despite the price difference( 2000$ GS-X and 5000$ RP010B MKII ) The Sonic performance as well as Quad-Mono engine of RP010B MkII leave GS-X for some ages. and RP010B MKII is truely another "proud to be owned" Head amp.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 21
This is the kind of review that makes me wonder how much better this is than my RPX-100. Wallet go hide ....

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks you all for comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the kind of review that makes me wonder how much better this is than my RPX-100. Wallet go hide ....

I'm always thought that RPX-100 is one of the best ss amp. IMO if you do enjoy the sound of the amp, no need to pay some more, yet.

Never heard these two in comparison I think Rudi could give you the answer 'bout how different they are
L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmoNemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks you all for comments.

I'm always thought that RPX-100 is one of the best ss amp. IMO if you do enjoy the sound of the amp, no need to pay some more, yet.

Never heard these two in comparison I think Rudi could give you the answer 'bout how different they are
L3000.gif

I moved from RPX-100 to RP010B MKII.

Although the RP010BMKII is sonically superior, RPX-100 is obvious much better value, and offers more features too.

F. Lo

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by peeradonn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, GS-X is the not the same league of Rudistor RP010B MkII

despite the price difference( 2000$ GS-X and 5000$ RP010B MKII ) The Sonic performance as well as Quad-Mono engine of RP010B MkII leave GS-X for some ages. and RP010B MKII is truely another "proud to be owned" Head amp.

Could you please elaborate more on your statement? Why do you think so?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back