Newbie Repair Question
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bradysays

New Head-Fier
Hi I am currently diagnosing a fault with my Audio Technica headphones (the left ear is not working).

driver2.jpg

Using a multimeter, I have continutiy from the end of the plug to the three points on the bottom left, and also to the two points on the right. However no continuity current between the two points I've circled (they are hard to see due to glue).

I am guessing this means there is no current flowing through the driver itself and I need a new driver?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 3
If you run DC across your driver you have a good chance of burning it up. I don't know how much it takes but I was always told DC will kill headphones. Hopefully somebody has more info on this. But basically just probing anything without a circuit diagram seems like a really bad idea.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 3
In the picture it's a little hard to see what's going on... but If you put your multimeter in resistance mode you can measure the resistance between the positive and negative you should get a measurement close to the rated impedance of the headphone. You'll also want to test continuity between the plug and the driver to make sure the cable is not the problem. Check for resistance that's more than an ohm or so (multimeters have trouble with really low measurements but if you see something high like 20 ohms you know there's an issue. If these don't turn up anything, reflow the joints and see if that helps. Be careful not to leave the heat on too long as that can damage some drivers. If none of this helps, it's probably time for a replacement driver. Do note that drivers are usually matched, so you might notice a very slight imbalance if you only replace one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back