Newbie question. Woo wa2 or Schitt Lyar ?
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dguitarnut

100+ Head-Fier
I have a senn 650 with thoughts of upgrades in the future like an hd 800 or an LCD .
Using an e17 fiio now.
I have waded through the hundreds of posts on both these amps. Sorry but I can't digest all that I have read.

I'm torn between a Schitt Lyar plus bifrost or getting a Woo wa2 . I would have to get a good Dac later for the Woo.
Do you think the Schitt combo might satisfy for a few years or will I feel the need to upgrade ?
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Larry

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Sorry its such a basic question.   And yes I did use the search button many many times and waded thru hours of postings.
This forum seems to get off topic so easily and the threads are just enormous. Very difficult to find helpful information easily.
thanks
Larry

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 3
I have heard the WA2 with the HD800 and LCD2 and was not very impressed.  Both sounded muddy and overly warm.  Also, it is not the best idea to pair an ortho like the LCD2 with an OTL amplifier like the WA2.  Personally I would look more to the WA6-SE.
I also wasn't a huge fan of the LYR.  It didn't do anything wrong but it didn't blow me away.

I think you will be surprised what a good DAC like the bifrost will do for your system.  If it were me I would get the bifrost uber and a Vali rather than a Lyr.  The Vali blew me away with the HD800 and is supposed to be a good match for the 650 as well.

On the other hand if you have heard the WA2 and consider that your end-game then I say go for it.  Amplifier technology is not changing nearly as fast as DAC technology.  In the long term a high quality amplifier is a better investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back