Newbie question: need help choosing good closed-back headphones
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dobbouy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been reading this site and forum for a while, what a great resource!

Anyway, I was considering a pair of Grado Sr80i, I'm very tempted and this is around my budget, though I could spend a little more.

However, I'm thinking I should get some closed back headphones to reduce noise leakage thus allowing me to wear them at work in an office environment.

I'm after recommendations for good closed back style cans in similar price range to the Sr80i. I mostly listen to rock/electronic, blues and funk/hip hop.

Or, if anyone is an owner of the Grados and can attest that they don't leak noise then that's great news too.

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi,

Anyway, I was considering a pair of Grado Sr80i, I'm very tempted and this is around my budget, though I could spend a little more.

However, I'm thinking I should get some closed back headphones to reduce noise leakage thus allowing me to wear them at work in an office environment.

I'm after recommendations for good closed back style cans in similar price range to the Sr80i. I mostly listen to rock/electronic, blues and funk/hip hop.

Or, if anyone is an owner of the Grados and can attest that they don't leak noise then that's great news too.

Thanks.

I've owned grados and they're by far the most "open" headphones I've ever tried. I can here the grados of someone at the back of the bus while I'm at the front if he's playing them loud enough to hear them over the bus.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.

They leak a lot of sound, both in and out. They are quite fun to listen to though.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm not well versed enough with different headphones to compare their sound quality to others, but I can tell you that the Sennheiser HD 280 pro does a great job isolating outside noises and is pleasing for me to listen to.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Just thought I'd update, I've received my ATH-M50s and so far I'm very happy.

I'm upgrading from a pair of Sony MCR-CD380s which I've had for 11 years, I'd gotten pretty accustomed to their sound and particularly good low end warmth (I got pretty lucky with those cans really, picked them randomly off the shelf at age 15).

The M50s are more than capable in the bottom end, but it's the detail in the higher mids that I've really noticed straight away. There is a touch of sharpness too in the treble but I'm unsure if this something that will go away with burn in, or maybe it's revealing the flaws in my source (320kbps mp3, iPod classic 120gb)

They're rock solid too, and sit a lot more firmly on my head. The old Sonys had a lot of creakiness on the cabinets after 11 years of love, these are like solid blocks. I'm hoping the headband will loosen up a little with use to releive a bit of the pressure on my temples though!

Overall, stoked.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
They're rock solid too, and sit a lot more firmly on my head. The old Sonys had a lot of creakiness on the cabinets after 11 years of love, these are like solid blocks. I'm hoping the headband will loosen up a little with use to releive a bit of the pressure on my temples though!

The M50s loosened up a bit after using them for a few weeks, but if it's not enough, you could always try stretching them over a shoebox/couch arm for a few hours.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Honestly, the M50s are the most durable headphone I've ever seen. If anything, they should be called the 50 Cent headphones, because they could be shot 9 times and still survive.

I've heard about these things getting thrown down escalators and not getting scratched.

For a nice sounding, long-lasting, and fairly portable headphone, the M50s do a very nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back