Newbie Question -Is Sennheiser HD598 An Overkill For An Ipod Touch/Iphone?
Dec 20, 2010 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ryder78

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first post here on Head-fi forum and would appreciate some advice from knowledgeable members.

I am a novice in this and have never owned any headphones before except for some cheapie earphones that come with walkmans and discmans during my college days. I am wondering if the HD598 would be too much of an overkill if used on an iPod Touch or iPhone even though the audio files are high resolution AIFF and WAV(Apple lossless) formats. If not, what would be the best cost-efficient headphone to be used on an iPod Touch/iPhone? 

Lastly, I have a decent stereo system at home. How do I hook up the HD598 to the system? There are no inputs for a headphone on my amps and CD player.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 12
What do you mean by overkill? Not being able to drive the headphone? if so, then probably not.

There is no 'most' cost efficient pair of cans. It depends on the ears and tastes in music.

As for your amplifier, does it have a 1/4" plug? If not, you may need a special adapter. But its better to get an amplifier made for headphones, not speakers, as their impedances may not pair well.

Head-fiers need more information from you to help. What music do you like? Do you want a portable headphone? Do you prefer bass, midrange or high freqs? Flat or colored sound?

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the response. What I meant by overkill is the potential of the HD598 may not be fully tapped ie. using a cheaper headphone will yield comparable sonic performance as the more costly HD598, since there are limitations hooking up the headphone directly to the iPod.

I just figured out that my Sony HT processor(TAE-9000ES) has a 6.3mm headphone jack at the front panel. I guess I can hook the headphone to that if I can't hook it up to my home audio rig. Not too sure if the sound quality from the HD-598/558 hooked up to the Sony processor will be optimised and sound better when compared to listening through the main audio rig though.

Generally I listen to everything from instrumental jazz to pop and rock except for hard metal. Currently I am listening to a lot of Peter White's works. Great guitar music. My favorite artists are Peter White and Pat Metheny. I have their music on CDs and LPs .

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 12
The HD598 can be easily driven by an Iphone / Ipod, I can't turn the volume to max. on my Iphone with the HD598 on my head.
Due to the modest DAC used in the Iphone/Ipod, you will not get the best possible sound out of your headphones though.
Doing an a/b test on my Ipad with headphone out vs. with Udac 2 in between (using USB camera adapter / powered hub), on the Ipad's headphone out treble and bass are more dominant vs. the midrange, with bass being less defined i.e. more 'boomy' compared to the udac 2.
For casual listening it's perfectly OK though, it's not as if the difference is huge.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 12
i stand by my sennheiser hd 558's they already offer great sound through my iphone but u dont hear as much as u would with a more powerful source like a laptop or computer i keep my volume at about 75%

By the way the 3M cable isnt the best for portability and neither is the quarter inch jack (i think that is what its called) so a different cable would be a good thing to get (BTW if u know where to get a new cable that's shorter for iphone use i would appreciate it)

anyways sound quality the senns are the best way to go if ur gonna stick by ipod/iphone 50 impedence is not that high

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 12
I Just bought a paid of HD 598's.....for use on my PC - IDT HD Codec and blackberry 9780, I read through the threads and orderd a Fiio 11 which is coming tomorrow. So far the headphones are really comfortable and I literally stuck to my head....I like a range of music from Latin, old skool Hip Hop, Reggae, Rare Groove, Funk and cross genre Wicked sound....Bass is really good keeping all ranges in check.

Im gonna wear them on the train....though i will keep in down...a shame cos it is like riding a big motorbike..the throtttle (Volume Control) is begging to be opened up....

Need to sort some new seperates...Amps etc

These HD 598......banging bruv!!!! shame about the colour....better plan my outfits!!! lol

Let you know how I find the new portable amp

Oh...a company down in new malden does cables for the HD 598....i have ordered 2 x 1.5m....straight and right angled 3.5mm jack, the latter might not be poss as lead size issues awaiting a confirmation call

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Other then the size of the headphones and length of the cord being a bit of a pain if you are going portable with them(mine don't leave the house) I would say get them if you like them.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
What I meant by overkill is the potential of the HD598 may not be fully tapped  ----> Correct. Unamped and from a relatively poor source card such as an ipod it will not be fully tapped, BUT

ie. using a cheaper headphone will yield comparable sonic performance as the more costly HD598 ---> Nope. The HD598 will still sound LEAGUES better than most headphones under its price....though note I said "most", because depending on your music preference other headphones might have sound signatures more suitable for your taste.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 12
Wow......Fiio 11.......what a difference from my PC / Berry.....suppose I can see them running in now!!!

Iooking a proper set up.....

I realise that I may have to keep my 598's at home as really you cant listen to it at such a low level to prevent leakage so I have to look at something alternative for my ventures on Public Transport?

Thanks forum for guiding on a good set of cans and port amp

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 12
598's will do just fine. They'll work better plugged into a stereo receiver or a PC though.

If you can, get access to an ipod dock so you can just run it into a stereo receiver and use that to power the headphones. You get better performance and a more dynamic listening experience out of it.

Welcome to head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back