Newbie on Headfi, looking for closed cans that fit my criteria !
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jyin94

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm new to headfi.

I've been a long time lurker and reader, but never actually registered until I decided to invest in a pair this thanksgiving weekend.

After taking very careful considerations about my ears (I don't know if they are relatively large or not but yeah), I've decided to post their measurements, and for those who own headphones, it would be greatly appreciated if you measured the openings of the earcups in centimeters so I don't end up buying a pair that doesn't even fit right! lol, that would be a total mess.

my ear measurements:
vertical 5.5 cm
horizontal 3.8 cm

So basically, I'm a student and I listen to a variety of music. Lots of electronic/trance/dance but also country and classical. What I'm looking for is a punchy bass but also crystal clear highs.

My budget is ~$200

From priority: It would be nice to have a circumaural/closed phone that isolates sound, but doensn't leak it. A portable design would be nice as well as a short cable. (not a long studio one, my purpose is for portable use). Also, good looks can't hurt, right? xD

Another thing that I might throw in there is the fact that I wear glasses. Yeah, glasses. Plastic ones. I don't know how many of you headfiers wear glasses while wearing headphones, But i wear glasses. I have honestly no idea how inconvenient this may be.

So I'm asking if you guys could give me some recommendations on phones you have that might match this criteria. Again, after reading lots of posts on HeadFi, you guys are definitely knowledgable people! So i've resorted coming to the best of the best. Thanks again!

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to headfi.

Welcome and I'm sorry about your wallet.

I've been a long time lurker and reader, but never actually registered until I decided to invest in a pair this thanksgiving weekend.

Like most people on head-fi, nothing wrong with that.

After taking very careful considerations about my ears (I don't know if they are relatively large or not but yeah), I've decided to post their measurements, and for those who own headphones, it would be greatly appreciated if you measured the openings of the earcups in centimeters so I don't end up buying a pair that doesn't even fit right! lol, that would be a total mess.

my ear measurements:
vertical 5.5 cm
horizontal 3.8 cm

No need for this they should fit.

So basically, I'm a student and I listen to a variety of music. Lots of electronic/trance/dance but also country and classical. What I'm looking for is a punchy bass but also crystal clear highs.

My budget is ~$200

First thing to my head is Shure SRH750DJ's.

From priority: It would be nice to have a circumaural/closed phone that isolates sound, but doensn't leak it. A portable design would be nice as well as a short cable. (not a long studio one, my purpose is for portable use). Also, good looks can't hurt, right? xD

Now I'm thinking HD 25-II's

Another thing that I might throw in there is the fact that I wear glasses. Yeah, glasses. Plastic ones. I don't know how many of you headfiers wear glasses while wearing headphones, But i wear glasses. I have honestly no idea how inconvenient this may be.

Not a problem on nice headphones unless your a specially case. Just try to stay way from the really cheap pleather like on JVC RX700 or most things( not the XB series, it seems better to me) that sony makes.

So I'm asking if you guys could give me some recommendations on phones you have that might match this criteria. Again, after reading lots of posts on HeadFi, you guys are definitely knowledgable people! So i've resorted coming to the best of the best. Thanks again!

Sure someone will say something else but what I added should do what your looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back