Newbie needs a headphone amp
Aug 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KevinF

New Head-Fier
Greetings. I am a newbie here and very excited by all I am learning from the different threads. Also a bit confused. I would not say what I have is by any means high end by the standards I have seen here, but for the time being at least its what I have. And what I have is:

Ipod classic         160 Gigs
Ipod Touch 3g      64 Gigs
Iphone 4              32 Gigs

Sennheiser E6
Digizoid Zo

I use the Zo and E6's when I travel, which can be alot. I also will carry a set of powered speakers for the hotel room, Bose Companion 2.

At home I have:

Pro-Ject   Ipod Dock Box
Pro-ject    Pre Box
Pro-Ject   USB Box
Audioengine A5 Speakers

I am looking for a small portable headphone amp that I can carry with me with ease. Right now I use the volume control on the Ipod. But after reading on the forums I am thinking about getting an LOD cable to go between the source and the ZO. But as I am sure you all know, I will need some sort of volume control between the the Zo, and the Sennheiser E6. I would also like to be able to use it between the Zo, and Bose speakers.

In a perfect world, I would like to keep the total cost around $150 for both the LOD, and the amp.

Suggestions, advice?

I thank you all in advance

Kevin

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure what your budget is, but the ibasso line is good stuff that is priced well.
Ray samuels stuff is more expensive, but has a great reputation.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 7
I am in a similar position as you in just getting out the gate.  Ordered an iBasso CB-05 ($35 delivered) to connect my 4th gen 20GB to the Pa2V2 (about $60) I received today. If you are still in need of feedback when the LOD arrives I will chime in then.

I figured the Electric-Avenues amp was a good place to start. The iBasso was recommended by a fellow Head-Fi'er.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 7
So many toys to pick from, what will I do!!! LOL.  I have been looking at the iBasso page, and the T3 seems like what I am looking for. Also have been looking at the Fiio E7.  Part of the reason I am looking at these, and similar items is the design, as well as the tech specs. I like the idea of using bands to hold the units back to back for travel, airplane, train, etc. But I am open to, and more to the point, require guidance.

The iBasso CB-05 looks like a good idea. I am very interested in your thoughts after some use. My biggest roadblock is. I have champagne taste's, on a Budweiser budget

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

My biggest roadblock is. I have champagne taste's, on a Budweiser budget

jecklinsmile.gif

beerchug.gif

I know that feeling all to well. Not cheap, but frugal as all hell...

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I am in a similar position as you in just getting out the gate.  Ordered an iBasso CB-05 ($35 delivered) to connect my 4th gen 20GB to the Pa2V2 (about $60) I received today. If you are still in need of feedback when the LOD arrives I will chime in then.

I figured the Electric-Avenues amp was a good place to start. The iBasso was recommended by a fellow Head-Fi'er.

I would like to hear your opinion on the LOD.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back