Newbie - needing advice on ipod's (link to intro page)
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Danthuyer

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Please follow this link to view my original topic in the intro area where I am trying to understand if I should upgrade my media player

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680783/new-to-audiophile-and-need-suggestions-please

I currently have:
iPod 3rd Gen 20Gb
FiiO E12 Portable Amp
Alessandro MS-1

looking to better understand if I should

- imod my 3rd gen ipod
 - buy a 5th gen ipod
 - buy a 5th gen ipod + imod

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
By imod, do you mean the mod that RWA does? If that's the case, I would just buy an AK100 with that money. I don't know why there are so many AK100 haters, but they are an exceptional player(unless you use them with multi-ba low impedance iems).

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 7
  By imod, do you mean the mod that RWA does? If that's the case, I would just buy an AK100 with that money. I don't know why there are so many AK100 haters, but they are an exceptional player(unless you use them with multi-ba low impedance iems).

I am talking about the below one :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/269604/the-apple-diymod-my-take-on-the-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-and-nano-1g

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 7
little update

I was laid up yesterday with a shoulder injury so i decided to buy a few things

Ipod 5th gen 30G

so once this arrives I can test it out to see if there is much of a difference bwteen the 3rd and 5th gen with my current setup (chances are not)

also been looking for the Black Gate NX Hi-Q 6.3V 47uF and these are not cheap :frowning2:

oh well in for a penny in for a pound !

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Ipod 5gen arrived yesterday and have been playing around with it today @ work.

TBH - to my ears without doing the imod yet and simply using the rockbox with LOD into FiiO E12 and Alessandro MS-1 (old version) the gen 3 ipod seems to have a more robust sound to it than the gen 5 (using the same file) ......

Does this mean that the same sound characteristic's would carry over after the imod ?? if so then my ears are all for the 3rd gen over the 5th gen although TBH I will prob mod both of them and give one to my GF

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 7
So have been trolling eBay and acquired all the new parts I need

Gen5:
Case
Screen
Battery
Click wheel
CF adapter
CF card
Capacitors
Protective case

Gen3:
Battery
CF adapter
CF Card
Capacitors

Once these arrive I can have a crack at the mod

Does anyone have more detail around the mod for the gen3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back