Newbie looking to upgrade, would like recommendations
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 21
As a separate point, your laptop test makes sense. You're claiming that you used a modi with the headphone out of your laptop, but the headphone output is already later in the chain t han the DAC in your PC. That's a nonsensical test. More likely, you used it with a Magni, if anything, and if the headphones are efficient enough to run from an integrated PC amp/dac, the power itself won't have much effect, but the coloration of the amp will. It's possible you just prefer the sound signature the Mojo's amp provides (warm/cold). Which again, makes no sense as to your recommendation of the Mojo's DAC. In fact, in all of the situations you provided, you never used the Mojo's DAC without the amp section.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 21
I think that's debatable. My dad has some SR-407s which, like most electrostats, has great transient response, but despite the decent mids and wonderful highs, the bass was hollow, and outside of brass and some string&bow instruments, the music lacked impact.

I think the 400i's and Ethers are both more engaging. They're a bit behind in transient response, but they have a deeper extension into bass, and their presentation places more emphasis on vocals. The STAX are a bit depth neutral in regards to vocals, where as the Ether and 400i bring vocals front and center.

My other issue with the recommendation is spending money on redundancy. With you're recommendation, the OP would be buying two amps, a DAC, and earspeakers. If you can shell out 500 for an amp/dac, why not get a 500 DAC? Used bimby's go for about that, or less, and have more of the form factor that the OP is looking for.

I actually did look at the bifrost multibit at first before looking more towards the Aune S6, and it was really just for the additional inputs like the balanced XLR out and the UI. I wouldn't really need the S6's amp function since the Stax have their own specifically for it iirc, but in the event I wanted to power my X2's or a set of planar magnetic headphones in the future, I'd have most of the things I need already in one unit.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 21
I actually did look at the bifrost multibit at first before looking more towards the Aune S6, and it was really just for the additional inputs like the balanced XLR out and the UI. I wouldn't really need the S6's amp function since the Stax have their own specifically for it iirc, but in the event I wanted to power my X2's or a set of planar magnetic headphones in the future, I'd have most of the things I need already in one unit.

Perhaps this is my folly, but does the SRM-252 even have balanced in/out? Have you looked at the Woo WEE Energizer? Unless you're running a VERY long XLR cable to your headphones, I don't know why it would be important.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 21
I think that's debatable. My dad has some SR-407s which, like most electrostats, has great transient response, but despite the decent mids and wonderful highs, the bass was hollow, and outside of brass and some string&bow instruments, the music lacked impact.

I think the 400i's and Ethers are both more engaging. They're a bit behind in transient response, but they have a deeper extension into bass, and their presentation places more emphasis on vocals. The STAX are a bit depth neutral in regards to vocals, where as the Ether and 400i bring vocals front and center.

My other issue with the recommendation is spending money on redundancy. With you're recommendation, the OP would be buying two amps, a DAC, and earspeakers. If you can shell out 500 for an amp/dac, why not get a 500 DAC? Used bimby's go for about that, or less, and have more of the form factor that the OP is looking for.

It's all just opinions in the end. I favor accuracy, and STAX sounds accurate to me with all types of music. (STAX also almost always have more accurate measurements as well.)

By the way, the SR-L300 isn't delicate or ethereal like older STAX can be. It has plenty of impact too.

The Mojo is a DAC that happens to have amplification in the analog output stage instead of a separate amp section. (So it's more akin to a variable line out, and is even cleaner than most DAC line outs.) The Modi Multibit is the same as the Bifrost Multibit aside from the power supply and modular upgradeability. (General consensus is that they sound about the same.) And like I said, I think the Mojo has far superior sound quality. (I have owned two each of the Mojo and Modi Multibit.) But if form factor, features, etc. are more important, then something else could win out.

Perhaps this is my folly, but does the SRM-252 even have balanced in/out?

RCA only.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 21
Perhaps this is my folly, but does the SRM-252 even have balanced in/out? Have you looked at the Woo WEE Energizer? Unless you're running a VERY long XLR cable to your headphones, I don't know why it would be important.

I don't believe it does, but i'm not entirely sure either. I wont be using XLR with the stax specifically, I was just alluding to it being convenient to have those present in the event I ever picked up some planar headphones or wanted to power my X2's. The energizer would tack an extra 200 onto the stax and I'd still need a stereo amp if i'm reading their site correctly. Ideally I'd just have my source route into the S6, have that out directly to the STAX amp. Its not the most efficient setup but its simple and it'd leave me with some wiggle room for future upgrades.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 21
As a separate point, your laptop test makes sense. You're claiming that you used a modi with the headphone out of your laptop, but the headphone output is already later in the chain t han the DAC in your PC. That's a nonsensical test. More likely, you used it with a Magni, if anything, and if the headphones are efficient enough to run from an integrated PC amp/dac, the power itself won't have much effect, but the coloration of the amp will. It's possible you just prefer the sound signature the Mojo's amp provides (warm/cold). Which again, makes no sense as to your recommendation of the Mojo's DAC. In fact, in all of the situations you provided, you never used the Mojo's DAC without the amp section.

All wrong.

Go back and actually read my post. I said that I compared a Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 to the headphone outputs of my laptop.

The Mojo's amp is far less colored than external amps. This has been documented extensively in the Mojo thread and elsewhere.

But, like I covered in my previous reply, the Mojo's amplification is in the DAC's analog output stage, so you are basically listening to the direct output of the DAC. There is effectively no difference between the DAC and the amp inside the Mojo because you can't separate them. (All DACs have amplification inside to send the signal out. The Mojo just has that adapted so it can drive headphones too.)

Those were examples of using it as a DAC/amp for headphones, because you made it seem like I was only talking about using it as a standalone DAC with an external amp.

FYI, I use my current Mojo as a DAC and digital preamp for my active speakers. I'm even more impressed with how good it sounds with speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back