newbie... ipod & outboard DAC combo/classic receiver
Nov 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tmanwell

New Head-Fier
Hi guys:

My primary audio system is a classic McIntosh 1900 receiver hooked to Paradigm reference 20 speakers.

I've been using an iPod classic with audio out from its headphone jack. I'm now ready to upgrade to a digital out=> outboard DAC option.

The outboard DACs I'm considering are all in the entry level category:

1. Peachtree DAC-IT (the original, lower priced model, not the new x model)
2. Schiit Bifrost
3. Cambridge audio dacmagic
4. Emotiva xda-2

I had initially also thought about the Arcam rdac, but I can no longer find the base model.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what you all think regarding the sonic characteristics of the above & how they would synergize with my classic receiver.

Thanks.

TM

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 5
The first thing you should do is make sure all of those DACs will work with an iPod. How do you plan to connect them? I don't think you can just plug the USB cable that goes into your computer into the DAC; the DAC needs to be iPod compatible as well. 

The HRT iStreamer and CEntrance M8 work AFAIK, not sure about the ones you listed. The Peachtree might work. 

This thread might be of help, but note that it's about devices running iOS.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 5
Right...
I did leave out some links in the chain. I do realize that I need to take the raw digital out of the iPod. So, my thought right now is to use the NuForce iDo. This will take the raw digital data... it has a digital coax out jack which will then go to the input of one of the above mentioned DACs, then analog out from there into my McIntosh.

TM

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 5
  Right...
I did leave out some links in the chain. I do realize that I need to take the raw digital out of the iPod. So, my thought right now is to use the NuForce iDo. This will take the raw digital data... it has a digital coax out jack which will then go to the input of one of the above mentioned DACs, then analog out from there into my McIntosh.

Why not just get a FiiO X3 ($200) or iBasso DX50 ($240).
Load your music files on to one of those and run an analog audio cable from the X3 or DX50 to the RCA inputs on the Mcintosh receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back