Newbie audiophile here, how can i tell if i need an amp?
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 27
I had the same question. I have a sansa clip v1 with rockbox. My pc has an onboard sound card (high definition audio device is the name?). When I use my earphones (soundmagic e10) with my clip it sounds ok'ish but lacks any omph and energy. When I plug in the same earphones into the lineout of my cheap desktop speakers (which is connected to the pc), the music sounds much much better. The soundstage is slightly bigger, musical separation is notably better, there's a lot more energy, and the bass has much more omph. Is this down to the pc having more power or the software? I'm using winamp/foobar without any sound enhancers.

Will an amp be enough to recreate the sound from my pc?  

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 27
Hi acme15. What source unit(s) and phones are you using?

I recently "upgraded" from iPod Video to iPod Classic (an upgrade of capacity only). The new iPod sounds really crappy compared to the older one and I'm guessing it's got a poor quality amplifier given that they had less space to work with in the new slimmer design. This is one example of a case where an amp will make a huge difference (the new iPod's internal amp lacks bass, seems to have a harsh peak in the 8 - 16kHz range and lacks detail and separation in the sound).

Another reason as already mentioned is that some headphones have the ability to really show off the qualities of a good amp (and the shortcomings of a bad one). I agree with Head Injury that volume is volume. Mathematically / scientifically speaking, he's 100% correct, but I've also experienced what wolfen68 is talking about with some headphones (like my Ultrasone HFI-680s) sounding much much better with amplification. I think it's more a case of the higher impedance headphones needing more grunt to create the subtle movements of the drivers that create detail and nuances in the sound.

I know that my HFI-680s come alive with amplification in comparison to my old (i.e. good sound quality) iPod. With amplification they are more detailed, have a more spacious soundstage, and reproduce the "magic" in the music which comes from harmonics and the subtlest nuances in the recording.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Hi acme15. What source unit(s) and phones are you using?

I recently "upgraded" from iPod Video to iPod Classic (an upgrade of capacity only). The new iPod sounds really crappy compared to the older one and I'm guessing it's got a poor quality amplifier given that they had less space to work with in the new slimmer design. This is one example of a case where an amp will make a huge difference (the new iPod's internal amp lacks bass, seems to have a harsh peak in the 8 - 16kHz range and lacks detail and separation in the sound).

Another reason as already mentioned is that some headphones have the ability to really show off the qualities of a good amp (and the shortcomings of a bad one). I agree with Head Injury that volume is volume. Mathematically / scientifically speaking, he's 100% correct, but I've also experienced what wolfen68 is talking about with some headphones (like my Ultrasone HFI-680s) sounding much much better with amplification. I think it's more a case of the higher impedance headphones needing more grunt to create the subtle movements of the drivers that create detail and nuances in the sound.

I know that my HFI-680s come alive with amplification in comparison to my old (i.e. good sound quality) iPod. With amplification they are more detailed, have a more spacious soundstage, and reproduce the "magic" in the music which comes from harmonics and the subtlest nuances in the recording.

An Asus Xonar DS and Koss Pro DJ100's (which i'm not sure if i need an amp for or not, some of the frequencies seem to buzz slightly at higher voloumes, but this might just be static or damaged headphone drivers)

OR

A Cowon i9 and the Koss Pro DJ100's (which 100% definitely needs an amp) or Sennheisser CX300-II's (which probably dont need an amp)

So i am basically buying a portable amp for my Cowon i9...

i realise that i have practically answered my own question here :/

I will probably buy a FiiO E11 for £39.99 (unless someone knows where sells them cheaper, or i f anyone knows about a classified for an e11/e7)

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
An Asus Xonar DS and Koss Pro DJ100's (which i'm not sure if i need an amp for or not, some of the frequencies seem to buzz slightly at higher voloumes, but this might just be static or damaged headphone drivers)

OR

A Cowon i9 and the Koss Pro DJ100's (which 100% definitely needs an amp) or Sennheisser CX300-II's (which probably dont need an amp)

So i am basically buying a portable amp for my Cowon i9...

i realise that i have practically answered my own question here :/

I will probably buy a FiiO E11 for £39.99 (unless someone knows where sells them cheaper, or i f anyone knows about a classified for an e11/e7)

I think the i9 is pretty good already if it's anything like the J3, but I could understandd wanting a bit more power. I don't think you'll find a significant change in sound quality because the DJ1000s are only 38 ohms (i.e. not that hard to drive). You will get more punch and volume though so if that's what you're after, you're on the right track.

I've just ordered an E11 to go with my iPod Classic (+LOD) so I'll do a full write-up in my blog soon and share the results. It might help clarify the question of "to amp or not to amp?"

Good luck with your system!!

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
amps are overrated

I am never going to be able to take you or anyone named "Eisenhower" seriously ever again because of that damned avatar.

You person.

Quote:
I've just ordered an E11 to go with my iPod Classic (+LOD) so I'll do a full write-up in my blog soon and share the results. It might help clarify the question of "to amp or not to amp?"

Good luck with your system!!

Any reason you didn't wait for the E17?

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I am never going to be able to take you or anyone named "Eisenhower" seriously ever again because of that damned avatar.

You person.

Any reason you didn't wait for the E17?

Yes. My decision to keep or return the Cowon X7 I just bought all rests on the sound quality from the iPod Classic + E11 combo. Is the E17 meant to be that much better? When's it due?

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 27
I've had a chance to play with the E11 now and, although the sound quality is not quite as good as the Cowon X7, it's very respectable for a sub $100 amplifier and makes the iPod Classic much more listenable!

For those in need of volume, it'll definitely do the trick, but the quality will still only be as good as your player's output if you're using the headphone out.

I've written a short review here.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Yes. My decision to keep or return the Cowon X7 I just bought all rests on the sound quality from the iPod Classic + E11 combo. Is the E17 meant to be that much better? When's it due?

The E17 should be available mid-february, last I heard. Some are already shipping (the first batch). It's supposed to be a lot better, fixing the "issues" with the E11 and adding a DAC.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
The E17 should be available mid-february, last I heard. Some are already shipping (the first batch). It's supposed to be a lot better, fixing the "issues" with the E11 and adding a DAC.

Hmmm.... I might have to upgrade. The E11 is good, but I like the idea of the external DAC and an accessible volume control rather than the E11 's volume knob which is difficult to use when strapped to the iPod.

Do you know if the E17 can be used as a mobile DAC? (i.e. completely bypassing the iPod circuitry?)

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 27
If I experience really piercing highs when volume is maxed out on my ipod classic with my 4r when I'm in noisy environments, do I need an amp? I considered getting one but like everyone said, if the volume is sufficient I may not need an amp?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back