Newbe. Suggestion request.
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Marco101

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Here' s Marco from Italy. I've read several treads of this forum and I found them very interesting and helpfull. Now, I would ask you some suggestions.
I love first of all classic rock, pink floyd ( from meddle to final cut), genesis, rolling stones, beatles, led zeppelin, queen, police. And coutry rock, blues rock, eagles, csny, america, clapton, ecc...
I love classic jazz, coltrane, davis, baker and midern jazz and fusion too.
Some time I listem to acustic folk, and sometimes classic simphonic.
My sources are cd's and liquid (flac, mp3 at 320).
I own a sennheiser hd 598, and I love it. My reference headphone. I find it a very nice all rouder, for every generes I described before.
And I own a akg k701. I love it for acoustic and vocals, for classic and strings, but i find it too soft for rock and funky soul.
And I have a grado sr225. Sorry, I don't like it. Too much mids. Even with lo fi rock and lo fi jazz I can't appreciate this headphone.
And at last I have a creative auravna live. Nice for rock, pop, dance. Nothing special, not the same league of my akg and sennheiser.
So, I would try a nice headphone for classic rock and jazz, where my akg is too cold and analitical, and where my sennheiser is too relaxed. I ask you a suggestion even for another headphone for disco ( i mean classic 70 disco ) /funky too.( earth wind and fire, tower of power, the crusaders ecc...)
Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Howdy, Marco101,

I don't have any great ideas on the above, but just to give your question a bump...

Are you looking for open, or closed-back headphones with better bass extension?

And are there any particular headphones that you're already considering?

Also, how much are you looking to spend?

Is your Sennheiser HD 598 the open or closed version?

Also, I don't see any planar magnetics on your list of current headphones. Is that something that interests you at all? Or do you have a preference for dynamic drivers?

A couple threads in the music forum you might enjoy...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-classic-rock-thread.901225/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/country-music.178976/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fav...oft-rock-city-pop-muzak-music-artists.898109/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/on-a-mission-to-like-jazz.693212/

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 16
My sennh 598 is open back. I would like ti add a more bassy headphones for some dance/funky/electronic/modern rock. In general I prefere open back ones. I was thinking about a fidelio x2 or a denon ah d2000, or maybe the byederdynamics dt770 for this music.
And then if it's woth upgrading my sennh 598 to the sennh 58x for pop, sinphonic, rock, jazz. And upgrade my akg 701 to hifiman sundara for acoustic, string quartets, vocals.
I'm intended to sell my grado 225 or keep it only for rolling stones and old blues.
The creative auravna live are going to be sold too.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 16
I can personally recommend the Denon AH-D7200, not familiar with the 2000. The X2HR is probably close to the voicing you're looking for, too.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 16
To summarize : i would like to own 3 headphones for my different kinds of music :
A) one headphones, very detailed and airy, graat soundstage, for acoustic, vocals strings, classic and hi resolution jazz. That would be the akg 701 that I already own. Shoud I do better upgrading to hifiman sundana or anything else ?
B) one headphones, with a bit of musicality and warmth, slight funny , but well balanced overall, for classic hi quality rock, synphonic, jazz, pink floyd, and hi class pop ( I mean joe jackson, steely dan, chicago ecc...). For these purpose I own a sennheiser 598 open back. I LOVE IT. Should I upgrade to sennh 58x ?
C) one ( or better 2 ) headphones for "fun" music.
C1) Maybe one for technopop, '70 dance, funky, acid jazz. Could be a denon ad h2000 ? Or a fidelio x2hr ? Or what else ?
C2) maybe one for rock in a lively way ( for led zeppelin , queen, stones, clash ). For this purpose and for everything else too, I dont like grados...So, which couod be a nice choice ? Beyder dt770 ? Anything else ?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 16
I don't really see a need for that many different cans for those specific scenarios. It sounds like you want a fairly detailed, analytical, mostly neutral open back, maybe with a little treble emphasis -- the 701 and or 598 should be good for that. If you want to go higher up, maybe look at the Focal Elex.

For the fun music / rock / technopop headphone, a closed back is more likely to get you that sound signature, though the X2HR does that well if you want an open. Denon AH-D7200 or possibly D2000, though I'm not familiar with the D2000. Might also look at a used Fostex/Drop TR-X00.

I am not a big fan of Beyerdynamic as a rule because they often have the "Beyer spike" in the treble I find unpleasant.

What are you using as a source?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 16
When they say source, they mean what is the music player? Because some headphones need an amp and others don't need one or don't need much of one.

Are you listening from a PC, does it have a soundcard? Or do you have a DACamp etc.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 16
When they say source, they mean what is the music player? Because some headphones need an amp and others don't need one or don't need much of one.

Are you listening from a PC, does it have a soundcard? Or do you have a DACamp etc.
[/QUOTE
I

I plug my headphones to a little dot i+ , or to my marantz 6001 heaphone out

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 16
And yes, I love open back cans. Great sounstage and an "airy" feeling. So, which "funny", musical , open back one would you suggest me for classic rock and funky disco from '70s ? Could be a little v shaped one, as a beyder dt990 ?
Or should I better go closed back, as fidelio x2/denon d2000 ?

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 16
Fidelio X2 is open back.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 16
So, what about these following upgrades ? :
-From Sennh hd 598 to fedelio x2 , for general listenig without amp, and a more funny sound.
-From akg 701 to hifiman he500 (or sundana) for detailed listenig with amp.
-from creative auravna live to denon ah 2000, for punchy rock and pop.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 16
If you think Grados are too aggressive in the mids (which I can agree on), then the Fidelio X2 or maybe the L2 could very well be your thing. I have the X2 and L2, and I love their V-shaped sound, detail, clarity and openness. I personally like the L2s slightly more for their slightly better low-end punch (they're half-open headphones), both those could be difficult to find (I found them recently still available on amazon.com, price including shipping and customs <€150).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back