Newb looking for a new set of headphones... gaming, music, movies, possibly a bit of mixing
Dec 18, 2010 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

breakfast

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've lurked quite a bit and kind of narrowed down what I want to Sennheiser HD 555 and Audio-Technica ATH-A50.

I'm mostly going to be using these headphones for gaming (COD MW:2 and Black Ops) and listening to music while studying. Occasional movies and if I pick up some gear this summer I'll be doing a small amount of monitoring/mixing... but I wouldn't base your suggestion on that at all.

What should I get? Do either of these have poor "direction"? i.e. if a guy is running behind me to the left, will I hear it in that direction or will I just hear to the left?

Cheers,
Ryan

Edit: Just thought I'd add that I'm from Canada and if anyone know of any wicked deals on these headphones or others that you'd suggest I'd appreciate if you'd let me know.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 9
For gaming definitely the HD555s. Do the easy (and free) mod to make them into HD595s and you've got some pretty nice cans for music listening. 

I've owned the HD595s before and they have fantastic mids which are great for vocals. They are slightly bass light though, which could be a problem. Worked quite well when I used to play CSS a lot. The M50s are pretty average for audio positioning and not that comfortable for extended gaming sessions.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 9
How is the soundstage on the M50s, though? I'd be willing to put up with average soundstage (where I can still hear directionally) to be able to use the headphones for studying at school.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 9
I own the M50's and I game and I can literally leave them on for 12 hours straight without a problem. Just saying.. I could even go longer. They don't bother me at all. They were a bit tight at first. But they just loosen up for you within a week. It also depends on your head. Heard great things from the HD555's aswell.. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Oh and I'm from Canada too :D Lol :p

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I own the M50's and I game and I can literally leave them on for 12 hours straight without a problem. Just saying.. I could even go longer. They don't bother me at all. They were a bit tight at first. But they just loosen up for you within a week. It also depends on your head. Heard great things from the HD555's aswell.. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Oh and I'm from Canada too :D Lol :p

Yeah I've heard both are pretty comfortable. If you don't mind, would you tell me where you got yours and how much they cost?

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Take a look at Denon's D1100. They don't need an amp, and are probably the best bang for your buck at that price. You can also wear them for extended periods of time comfortably.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 9
eBay. I got them for 100 dollars + S&H + Tax (Cause we get charged for buying products from other countries.. God damn Canadian government) came to a total of about 150 dollars Canadian. Which I think was worthit :D

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Take a look at Denon's D1100. They don't need an amp, and are probably the best bang for your buck at that price. You can also wear them for extended periods of time comfortably.

Again, how are these for being directional? I play mostly FPS games on 360 so that's what I'd be looking for (to hear people coming from the sides, behind, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back