New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,216 of 1,364
My zishan z1 seems to be broken, it won't play any music, but the blue led is still blinking if I put sd card there and i already charged it for several hours, it still works as an amp though, so opamp shouldn't be the problem, it also doesn't put out sound as a DAC, and installing the new firmware didn't do anything. Anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution? :frowning2:

In the walnut thread a long while ago someone received a unit with a weak microusb jack. Might be worth a look. Data wire and power wire is different.

In electronics when the ground is not fully connected strange behaviors can occur. But your sd card not playing does suggest something even more strange.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,217 of 1,364
.......... well I have no idea what is going on with my Zishan Z1 right now because the light keeps on flashing (non-stop) even if I am using amp mode............... When I tried to charge it, the light stop flashing rapidly and revert to its original flashing pace................. and after a while, the problem returns................. QC............. come on................

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,218 of 1,364
Hello.

Can someone tell me how to activate Amp mode?
This is what I tried, but there's absolutely no sound difference so I guess I am doing it wrong :
Plug 3.5 to 3.5 from smartphone jack to zishan LO.
Plug earphone to Zishan PO.
There is sound indeed, but there's absolutely 0 difference.
If I invert LO and PO, no sound comes from the earphones.

Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks a lot.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #1,220 of 1,364
Hello.

This is what I tried, but there's absolutely no sound difference so I guess I am doing it wrong :

Thanks a lot.

Actually tested using the iphone 7 plus + CCK + Z1 as the DAC!! it works!!!!

It was previously posted by hellfire8888, the proper setup on how to use the z1 as an amp for smartphone/PC.,

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,221 of 1,364
Hello.

Thanks a lot.
You are more likely to notice a difference with hard to drive/high impedance earphones

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,222 of 1,364
Well..

I know how to use zishan as a dac, it's just that it's mentioned nearly everywhere that the zishan can work as a standalone amp, I just wanted to try that feature that is all.

I have an earphone that is harder to drive than other earphones (huge difference when using smartphone VS using zishan) but when I plug it into the zishan that is plugged to the smartphone via 3.5, the sound that comes is exactly the sound I would get from plugging the earphones directly into the smartphone.

And by the way, I'm still a "noob" at this stuff but, would it be a good idea to couple a walnut and a zishan together? I really like the zishan, but the sound isn't as loud as I would like it to be. Buying a walnut and use it as an amp would solve the problem of not enough loudness right?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,223 of 1,364
Well..

I know how to use zishan as a dac, it's just that it's mentioned nearly everywhere that the zishan can work as a standalone amp, I just wanted to try that feature that is all.

I have an earphone that is harder to drive than other earphones (huge difference when using smartphone VS using zishan) but when I plug it into the zishan that is plugged to the smartphone via 3.5, the sound that comes is exactly the sound I would get from plugging the earphones directly into the smartphone.

And by the way, I'm still a "noob" at this stuff but, would it be a good idea to couple a walnut and a zishan together? I really like the zishan, but the sound isn't as loud as I would like it to be. Buying a walnut and use it as an amp would solve the problem of not enough loudness right?

yes for sure you can use the walnut as an amp for the zishan, actually some people post in the fb EA thread say they love this setup.
I do think is weird that you don't hear difference using your phone and amp, because I do, soo I don't know there must be something wrong somewhere...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,225 of 1,364
Well..

You hear no different in volume?

You mean you turn the Z1 volume up and nothing changed?

That's strange because I connect like you did and it's work.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,226 of 1,364
I want to buy a DAP and I've been trying to catch up on this thread -- people are saying the muses02 opamp is expensive. I found this reasonable priced muses02: https://goo.gl/dp7BsK. Is it fake?

hey buddy, I took the risk to purchase from the link you've shared and I was totally surprised with the result on my Z1. It becomes a bit warmer, clarity and details are still sparkly, separation and soundstage has greatly improved as well. Without knowing whether it is original or fake, I must say the improvement is evident while listening using Pioneer CH9T and diy EMX500.,thanks for the share buddy.,. :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #1,227 of 1,364
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,228 of 1,364
Hi. When using Zishan as USB DAC in computer, I hear clicking noise when playing videos in Zoom player or WMP (both in line out and phone out). All videos higher than 720x480 resolution have noise. Most 720x480 and lower doesn't have noise but not all.

Btw, it's perfectly fine when listening to music using foobar. Does anyone experience this?

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,229 of 1,364
Hi guys, i know a lot of opamps are listed here but it would take me a while to list each of the posted here.

What are your favourite opamps for Z1/Z2? Would like to get opamps that won't break a bank or atleast not expensive than the Zishan.
Any recommendation?

Thank you!

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,230 of 1,364
Hi guys, i know a lot of opamps are listed here but it would take me a while to list each of the posted here.

What are your favourite opamps for Z1/Z2? Would like to get opamps that won't break a bank or atleast not expensive than the Zishan.
Any recommendation?

Thank you!

There are quite a few posts about Opamp (and capacitor) rolling in the Walnut v2 thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wal...s-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp-ok_hand.828315/

Of the Opamps I've tried in the Z1, the one I currently like best, is the LME49720HA (TO-99 round metal case) [$14.50 ea].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back