New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,188 of 1,364
Please help, a Zishan Z1 noob here...

I cannot understand which order is followed when the Z1 switch folder (Pause then Next or Prev).

And, is there a way to generate a listing of the files on the sd card so that you can have an hardcopy of the order he follows ?

Tried with dir to no avail.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,189 of 1,364
Z1 plays files/folders with the same order they were copied to the microsd.
It reads the file system and it doesn't sort the files/folders, it just plays them by the order the were written.

I think someone already posted this to sort the microsd card file system, but I didn't tried it yet:
http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

I didn't tried it yet, because in windows I copied the folders with the order I want them to be played.
Windows copies the last select folder/file first.
So I selected all the folders from bottom to top.
This way the top of the list will be the last selected and the first to be copied.
But if you want to add files, this wont work, you'll have to copy all again.
So next time I'll try the above software.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,190 of 1,364
on windows file explorer and mac finder you have to browse the folder into "details" mode and select or add the option "date of creation" to see what order they will play in the sd card. You can cut and paste in alphabetical order in a subfolder of the sd card, that "KIND OF" do alphabetical order but sometimes there is some hi cups

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,191 of 1,364
By a twist of fate I ended up with two Z1's in my possession, my old modded one ("basic mod") and a brand spanking new stock one. One thing leading to another I ended up with this set up for A/B comparison between the two, using stock opamp.

IMG_5600.jpg

Early results: the difference is very subtle, but noticeable (to me at least): stock Z1 has recessed lowest octave and a bit of bump in high-lows/low mids (I'd say 1, maximum 1.5 dB, 1/3 to up to 1/2 octave wide, centered around 150hZ); modded Z1 sounds as if LPF (shallow, 1st order or even less) has been turned off and low mid bump removed. Also, subjectively (VERY subjectively!) kicks and bass release portion of ADSR has shortened a wee bit, audiophile would say that they "reverberate" less.
This is noticeable only on some tracks (notably Era - Avemano Orchestral) and only on DT770 and CH9T, not that much on emx500.

Another slight difference was in upper mids/low highs area, and a very subtle one indeed: stock has just a touch of harshness on cymbal's attacks, which sound much (well, 0.5-1dB) smoother on the modded Z1.

These are early impressions, I plan to burn stock Z1 in, insure that they both have same firmware, and then try to use EQ to match the sound of one to another, also try to play white noise from HP outs into analyser and see if it shows any difference, may even open a new thread as I plan to mod new one and then do some op amp rolling, as soon as my Bursons arrive :wink:

Quick conclusion: caps replacement and addition of 82pF cap in opamp's feedback loop do have an effect, but a very subtle one and noticeable only on some tracks and head/earphones.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,192 of 1,364
If you have the time, consider playing white noise in stock Z1, to see if FW 0.3 vs FW 0.4 has the same OFF equalization playing FLACs?
Maybe it's just some music with sub bass vs another cleaner music, but sometimes 0.4 didn't sound so good here.
I went back to 0.3, but can't say for sure if there was a difference.

Did you bought the replacement parts from traditional sellers?
I've read that china is a bad source for op-amps and audio capacitors, because they have many fakes.
I'm still waiting for a cheap ESR meter I ordered from AliE, so I could measure the stock/new capacitors ESR.

I look forward to read about all your planned mods.
I wanted to do some but need a good guide.
Thanks for sharing.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,193 of 1,364
If you have the time, consider playing white noise in stock Z1, to see if FW 0.3 vs FW 0.4 has the same OFF equalization playing FLACs?
Sure, but I'll need to mod new Z1 the same way first. Might do a quick photo tutorial, seems there's a bit of demand for simple and easy to follow instructions (maybe even in a separate thread), the good news is that my soldering skills are sooooo basic, that if I can do it, anyone and their dog can :wink:

I rolled back to 0.3 too, there was something odd about the sound, but I may be imagining things here...

Did you bought the replacement parts from traditional sellers?
Ebay, Chinese suppliers, except for feedback caps.

To me it's an excerise in developing acute hearing and ability to discern minute and untangable details and differences rather than attempt to improve the circuit, I'll leave the latter to experts in electronics, but will happily follow their ideas. Obviously I don't mind if sound improves at all! :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,194 of 1,364
Tested (on a variety of music and files, not white noise, I'd rather keep my hearing faculty undamaged for now :wink: ), I could not detect ANY sonic difference between FW 0.3 and 0.4 (also 0.1 and 0.3 AND 0.1 and 0.4) whatsoever.
I'd suggest doing full reset after each FW update just to be on a safe side: power on while holding "Prev", wait until blue light starts blinking fast, turn off, turn on.

By the way, I can confirm previous observations re: effect of the "basic mod":
Better low frequency extension (or rather them being present as opposed to "absent" or significantly reduced in stock), diminished hump in low mids (combined effect on bass is more pronounced fundamental, rather than second harmonic in stock), smoother (warmer, less harsh) high frequencies even on the stock op-amp.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,195 of 1,364
Tested (on a variety of music and files, not white noise, I'd rather keep my hearing faculty undamaged for now :wink: ), I could not detect ANY sonic difference between FW 0.3 and 0.4 (also 0.1 and 0.3 AND 0.1 and 0.4) whatsoever.
I'd suggest doing full reset after each FW update just to be on a safe side: power on while holding "Prev", wait until blue light starts blinking fast, turn off, turn on.

By the way, I can confirm previous observations re: effect of the "basic mod":
Better low frequency extension (or rather them being present as opposed to "absent" or significantly reduced in stock), diminished hump in low mids (combined effect on bass is more pronounced fundamental, rather than second harmonic in stock), smoother (warmer, less harsh) high frequencies even on the stock op-amp.

Hi please tell me what it is the 'basic mod'.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,196 of 1,364
Hi please tell me what it is the 'basic mod'.
Apologies, I should have been more clear on this.

1. 100uF capacitors (gold/black in stock) replaced for 10V 100uf 10V Nichicon Muse FG Fine Gold or similar high-grade audio low ESR electrolytic capacitors
2. 10uF capacitors (purple/white in stock) replaced for 35V 10uf ELNA GOLD SILMIC II or similar high-grade audio low ESR electrolytic capacitors
3. 82pF capacitors across opamp's terminals 1-2 and 6-7

Photos of #1 and #2 here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-zishan-z1-dsd-player-thread.844417/page-45#post-13531960

My own implementation, #1 and #2:

IMG_5601.jpg

#3:

IMG_5602.jpg

All the credit goes to the original poster maxkur, post #269 here:
https://goo.gl/NZj9s1

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,197 of 1,364
Apologies, I should have been more clear on this.

1. 100uF capacitors (gold/black in stock) replaced for 10V 100uf 10V Nichicon Muse FG Fine Gold or similar high-grade audio low ESR electrolytic capacitors
2. 10uF capacitors (purple/white in stock) replaced for 35V 10uf ELNA GOLD SILMIC II or similar high-grade audio low ESR electrolytic capacitors
3. 82pF capacitors across opamp's terminals 1-2 and 6-7

Photos of #1 and #2 here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-zishan-z1-dsd-player-thread.844417/page-45#post-13531960

My own implementation, #1 and #2:

IMG_5601.jpg

#3:

IMG_5602.jpg

All the credit goes to the original poster maxkur, post #269 here:
https://goo.gl/NZj9s1

I guess it depends on which Op-Amp you're using, to know whether the H/F Filtering is needed (ceramic capacitor between output pins and input pins).

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #1,198 of 1,364
I guess it depends on which Op-Amp you're using, to know whether the H/F Filtering is needed (ceramic capacitor between output pins and input pins).
Agree.
I used 82pF as they give 194kHz LPF cut-off frequency with stock 10k resistors, however I am more sure than not that they improved HF in stock too (less harsh, especially on cymbals attacks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back