New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,112 of 1,364
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,113 of 1,364

my bad, the post I linked to is for Zishan DSD and Z2

here is the block diamgram for Z1

zishan z1 block diagram.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,114 of 1,364
Thanks! You saved my Z1!
I got the Z1 last week and put some FLACs, very high quality recordings, but it sounded so bad, bass out of control, voices sound bad, it sounded even worst when I turned the volume higher.
I had 3 folders, all with the album art and some other files.
I deleted all the extra files and now it plays well, no more distortion!!!!
Finally I'm listening to music.
So glad that this worked for you - I was surprised at the difference I heard comparing WAV files with no tagging, etc. to "cluttered" files.
The Z1 can really sound so engaging and musical - it is really special with some headphones. I'm having so much fun using it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,115 of 1,364
So this basically means: If my NAD's input impedance is too high the line-out and even the power-out of the Zishan might not be able to drive it. Correct?

Probably, yes but I'm surprised I used to have zen player before and feed it to my Denon I dont hear any distortion I just get it from the 3.5mm phone out ...btw where did you feed your PO/LO going to NAD? Line input I supposed using male 3.5mm phone jack to RCA males (L and R)... did you try to your mobile phone as player and feed it to NAD?. Curious these integrated amps can easily take on external sources easily.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,117 of 1,364
Hi, I'd like to know if then combo Zishan Z1 / multi BA + DD IEM (for example KZ ZS5 or Xiaomi Hybrid Pro) is ok ...

I remember that with Walnut v2 that kind of IEM was not recommended.

No, I don't recommend pair Z1 with ZS5.

In earlier posts, some modified their Z1 to have a low impedance. Maybe you can try it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,118 of 1,364
So glad that this worked for you - I was surprised at the difference I heard comparing WAV files with no tagging, etc. to "cluttered" files.
The Z1 can really sound so engaging and musical - it is really special with some headphones. I'm having so much fun using it.
I thought my Z1 was broken, but after I deleted all the extra files, I stayed all night listening to music :ksc75smile:

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,119 of 1,364
No, I don't recommend pair Z1 with ZS5.

In earlier posts, some modified their Z1 to have a low impedance. Maybe you can try it.
I've removed the output resistors, though I don't have anything really low ohm to try with it. Its quite easy to remove them, I guess it would be more difficult to replace them (for me..).

Should'nt removing the resistors in theory make it produce more juice, like for driving that NAD?

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #1,121 of 1,364
I did some a/b test with a folder full of crap and the other one only audio. No difference to me...
Please note that 100hr burn in is recommended before doing any final thoughts on the audio quality.

I think it's not the crap files in the folder that matters. The metadata, such as tags, embedded pictures and lyrics may cause the CPU lagging.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,123 of 1,364
I'm more familiar with clipping that's due to driving too low of an impedance, where the amp doesn't have enough current output to generate the required voltage across the load.

I'm sorry, I didn't think. This makes way more sense.

Thanks for the info!

Probably, yes but I'm surprised I used to have zen player before and feed it to my Denon I dont hear any distortion I just get it from the 3.5mm phone out ...btw where did you feed your PO/LO going to NAD? Line input I supposed using male 3.5mm phone jack to RCA males (L and R)... did you try to your mobile phone as player and feed it to NAD?. Curious these integrated amps can easily take on external sources easily.

Headphone Jack to RCA Male, correct. I'll try my mobile phone tomorrow. My mobile phone via Oppo HA-2 works nicely though. I will also try different inputs on my amp. After all it's a pretty good, very universal and actually quite simple amp...

Thank you guys for all the input! I'll try everything tomorrow and I'll report back (I'll try Walnut on the NAD too).

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,124 of 1,364
Hi guys!
I've been reading this whole zishan z1 thread for quite sometime and thanks to you guys I really learned alot.
So last week I bought z1 while still waiting for zishan z2. And yeah amazing as it is this z1 can really work as an android dac but sucks my Xiaomi redmi note 4x battery.

Now let me share this trick I did to my micro usb cable so it will stop my android phone from discharging fast once connected to zishan z1 dac mode.
I stripped my micro usb cable then traced the +5v line which is the red wire in my case, then I cut it and soldered it to a on/off switch.
On android dac mode I use that cable to connect my android phone and zishan z1. The switch on the micro usb cable is turned ON initially then when I hear zishan z1 starts playing music I will turn the switch OFF.
Zishan z1's charging led will be turned off but you will hear no interruption.

No more issue of zishan z1 draining my android phones battery when in android dac mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back