New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #769 of 1,364
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #770 of 1,364
Hi,
I just discovered this amazing forum, and I'm interested in Zishan/ Walnut players.
I hope my english will be correct enough (I'm french).

I've red most of the Z1 and V2 topics, but I still a bit confused about how it works.
So this is what i understood:
- if you connect the line out (or phone out) of a player to the line "out" of the Z1 (here working as a line in), it acts as an amplifier for a headphone.
- if you connect the Z1 via USB to a player, it acts as a DAC for the device connected to the line out (work bad whith Walnut).
Is it right ?
And is it suitable to amplify any "headphone out" source like TV ones ?
Can we use the device as an DAC+Amp from USB source to headphone ?

I've ordered an Edifier H850 which has a pretty low sensibility of 96dbB SPL/mA, so I think Z1/V2 could really help.
And it seems being a bit weak in the mid. Here the mesurements.
Do you think the Z2 (Z2S) would be a better combo for great voices?

Also I'll attempt to listen 192Kbit/s MP3 or even less quality ones.
Did someone encounter bacground noises on MP3 whith the Z1 or Z2?
Thanks.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #773 of 1,364
Hi,
I just discovered this amazing forum, and I'm interested in Zishan/ Walnut players.
I hope my english will be correct enough (I'm french).

I've red most of the Z1 and V2 topics, but I still a bit confused about how it works.
So this is what i understood:
- if you connect the line out (or phone out) of a player to the line "out" of the Z1 (here working as a line in), it acts as an amplifier for a headphone.
- if you connect the Z1 via USB to a player, it acts as a DAC for the device connected to the line out (work bad whith Walnut).
Is it right ?
And is it suitable to amplify any "headphone out" source like TV ones ?
Can we use the device as an DAC+Amp from USB source to headphone ?

I've ordered an Edifier H850 which has a pretty low sensibility of 96dbB SPL/mA, so I think Z1/V2 could really help.
And it seems being a bit weak in the mid. Here the mesurements.
Do you think the Z2 (Z2S) would be a better combo for great voices?

Also I'll attempt to listen 192Kbit/s MP3 or even less quality ones.
Did someone encounter bacground noises on MP3 whith the Z1 or Z2?
Thanks.
I only have Z1 and an older revision Walnut V2 with soldered on opamp, and I only listen to FLAC and WAV files. Furthermore, I've only tried V2 AMP mode and Z1 USB DAC mode.

With that said, I have tested and can confirm Z1 is better than V2 in sound quality. V2 has bass and treble roll off, thus giving it a 80s stereo sound, and some likes it for that sound signature. From what I read, Z1 sounds better than V2s. Furthermore, V2s in USB DAC mode has some issues with background noise

Sound quality aside, in terms of AMP power, Walnut V2 has a bit more raw power than Z1, however the V2 amped sound also has that bass and treble roll off. I don't have info on how V2s AMP power compare to Z1 and V2

However, overall, I feel Z1 to be the better option

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #774 of 1,364
Got my LME49720NA I ordered a long time ago on Ali - later found out they're probably fake most of them, so did'nt have high expectations. But on first listen it sounds great, really really smooth and very clear. However I quickly notice I miss the bass of the 2604, its like the whole signature is tilted a bit to the bright side (or maybe neutral, but bright for me), and it does'nt have the drive in the bass I'm used to.

Does this seem recognizable for those with a genuine 49720NA? I am a bit surprised it sounds so good and even might be genuine, as it was almost free;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LME49720NA-LME49720/32791663402.html

I bent the legs in my own bag after it had travelled all the way from Malaysia (?), doh:triportsad:

Should receive a dual opa627 from jade audio today or monday, looking forward to that even though I don't know if voltage etc. will be optimal.

IMG_0642.jpg

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #775 of 1,364
Got my LME49720NA I ordered a long time ago on Ali - later found out they're probably fake most of them, so did'nt have high expectations. But on first listen it sounds great, really really smooth and very clear. However I quickly notice I miss the bass of the 2604, its like the whole signature is tilted a bit to the bright side (or maybe neutral, but bright for me), and it does'nt have the drive in the bass I'm used to.

Does this seem recognizable for those with a genuine 49720NA? I am a bit surprised it sounds so good and even might be genuine, as it was almost free;

I bent the legs in my own bag after it had travelled all the way from Malaysia (?), doh:triportsad:

Should receive a dual opa627 from jade audio today or monday, looking forward to that even though I don't know if voltage etc. will be optimal.

IMG_0642.jpg

it's obvious that the one on the seller's ad is genius :wink:

LME49720NA-LME49720-integrated-circuit.jpg_640x640 2.jpg

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #777 of 1,364
I only have Z1 and an older revision Walnut V2 with soldered on opamp, and I only listen to FLAC and WAV files. Furthermore, I've only tried V2 AMP mode and Z1 USB DAC mode.

With that said, I have tested and can confirm Z1 is better than V2 in sound quality. V2 has bass and treble roll off, thus giving it a 80s stereo sound, and some likes it for that sound signature. From what I read, Z1 sounds better than V2s. Furthermore, V2s in USB DAC mode has some issues with background noise

Sound quality aside, in terms of AMP power, Walnut V2 has a bit more raw power than Z1, however the V2 amped sound also has that bass and treble roll off. I don't have info on how V2s AMP power compare to Z1 and V2

However, overall, I feel Z1 to be the better option

Thanks for your reply.
I think i'll wait a bit to know more about the Z2s sound signature as i'm not against warm voices.
I'm referring to james-O-hifi post too, who seems not so pleased whith the stock Z1.
I also red we have to untag all the files, but it's not hard to do.

When you use your Z1 in the DAC mode (via usb), does it desactivate the AMP+ headphone output ?
Can it transfer files via usb as i have no mini-SD cards reader ?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #778 of 1,364
it's obvious that the one on the seller's ad is genius :wink:
Don't understand what you mean? It's clear they are different, but as far as I can see most sellers (not just on Ali) make the disclaimer that the batch may wary. On Mouser they don't show batch/serial or what its called also, as far as I can see at least. Do you mean the ad one is genuine and in my image is not - if so, how do you judge that ?

I still expect it to be fake, I'm just surprised how good it is.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #779 of 1,364
Don't understand what you mean? It's clear they are different, but as far as I can see most sellers (not just on Ali) make the disclaimer that the batch may wary. On Mouser they don't show batch/serial or what its called also, as far as I can see at least. Do you mean the ad one is genuine and in my image is not - if so, how do you judge that ?

I still expect it to be fake, I'm just surprised how good it is.

lol, i didn't say your's fake, just trying to say that sellers advertising like they selling genuine products but you can't be sure what you've got!
sorry if it didn't help..

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #780 of 1,364

IMG_0642.jpg
The HA will give you the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back