Feb 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #106 of 367
My wallet quakes in fear!

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #107 of 367
My wallet has already died knowing its on its way lol

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #108 of 367
Many of us will try to upgrade before the meeting
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #110 of 367
Hey this sounds awesome, I will come and bring my WA7 with the Electro Harmonix gold plated pings and an Audeze LCD-3 and my LA7000 to the show.

If anyone is interested, I can bring along my Adële VK-1 as well but it's not super high end, just not many around one could test otherwise.

Looking forward to this!

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #111 of 367
  Hey this sounds awesome, I will come and bring my WA7 with the Electro Harmonix gold plated pings and an Audeze LCD-3 and my LA7000 to the show.

If anyone is interested, I can bring along my Adële VK-1 as well but it's not super high end, just not many around one could test otherwise.

Looking forward to this!

Nice mate! The more the merrier.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #112 of 367
Hi all!

Hopefully a little more news coming this way shortly :)

In the meantime I had a question for you all: what do you think about an entry fee?

At the moment I'm covering all the expenses, and at this stage I've asked exhibiting stores and so forth if they would perhaps consider contributing via a prize draw of some kind, rather than directly paying towards costs.

I'd really rather not have an entry fee, especially considering that many of the attendees will also be bringing their own gear for the benefit of us all.

For the sake of absolute clarity let me say that I do not mind covering the costs for this year, that isn't an issue here. So far the costs have only come to $400 (+$300 bond) for venue hire, and I don't expect them to increase too substantially from there (awaiting quotes for a little external generator hire to augment our power supply, tripping the fuses with all our amps and their overbuilt power supplies is one way to ruin the whole day). My thought is that if there were an entry fee (max $10), then that money could go towards some of this years costs and also toward subsidising the cost of repeating the event next year. We do want this happen annually right? For myself I'd certainly like to solidify the future of meets such as this in NZ.

There are a few ways this could go I suppose...for the sake of discussion a few options:

1. Private exhibitors enter free (or perhaps private exhibitors and Head-Fi members, even if not exhibiting), and all others pay the fee. In some ways this could have benefits - charging a fee (any fee) will discourage some of the random looky-loos who might come, while also helping to fund the events continuation. I have no idea what kind of reach the even might have beyond our group, I would think not that much (for reference Addicted to Audio in Melbourne managed about 60 people over the course of an afternoon at a meet they arranged).

2. Some generous souls here at Head-Fi, under no obligation whatsoever, could offer to share some portion of the costs with me to subsidise things to either eliminate an entry fee altogether or enable scenario 1.

3. Everyone pays.

4. ???

Anyways, I thought I would open a discussion on this. This isn't my event; it's our event. I'd like to keep things transparent and have an arrangement we're happy with, I think that's how a community should go about this.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #113 of 367
Also, anyone think of a cool name for this thing?

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #114 of 367
NZT - I'd be fine with an entry fee. $20 per person / couple is nothing really in overall scheme of things. Another idea is to have a raffle. Vendors may be able to chip in. If you were going the raffle route - I could bring up a couple of boxed IEMs for a start .....

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #115 of 367
NZT - I'd be fine with an entry fee. $20 per person / couple is nothing really in overall scheme of things. Another idea is to have a raffle. Vendors may be able to chip in. If you were going the raffle route - I could bring up a couple of boxed IEMs for a start .....

This. $20/person should not be a problem after all.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #116 of 367
I have organised a few things in my time. It's a rewarding activity, but takes commitment and focus. NZt - you are clearly doing a great job here and should not be funding it as well! Not thinking just of you, but of others who might - or might not, because it seems too costly or difficult - take up the reins in future.

I agree with Brooko and 62 - an entry fee should be no problem. Heck, I play indoor bowls locally and have to pay every club night, provide plates and contribute to prizes on open nights and still pay an entry fee!

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #117 of 367
Woohoo! Thanks for organising this! I grew up in Mt Roskill, so I know the Fickling Centre well. Would be very keen to come along and I'm happy to bring my set up - really simple - 600ohm Beyer 880s and JD Labs O2 amp/DAC - though I'm now having to re-rip all my CD's into FLAC or WAV, since my set up shows up the lossiness of the 256mp3s I have on my CPU.

Happy to pay an entry fee to help defray costs.

Andrew (Stilts).

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #118 of 367
An entry fee would be just fine. I think $10-20 is quite reasonable.
normal_smile .gif

We could make it $10 per head, then slightly higher fee of 15 for two - to encourage Head-fi members to bring non-head-fi people to the event. You know, spread the love and grow the hobby. Just an idea, of course.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #119 of 367
I agree with everyone here so far. An entry fee might be a good idea, $10 or $20 should be fine either way.

I do also like the idea of the entry fee to discourage any randoms from coming, because let's face it… there will be a lot of expensive gear in that hall and it'd be nice to know that all/most people there have the appreciation of it to treat that equipment with care.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #120 of 367
OK, $10 entry fee it is. I will organise some online ticket sales shortly for you all.

Also wondering if anyone here wants to buy my Audio-GD Reference 10.32? Have a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MKII with network bridge arriving next week, so the Ref 10 is up for grabs. $2,000 should cover it (it's $2499AUD to buy new + GST/shipping). Worth bearing in mind that the PCM1704UK DAC inside the Ref 10 is basically sold out now, with Audio-GD down to only a couple of units of stock containing this DAC now. The Ref 10 HP out using it's very powerful internal amp is particularly good with the HD800 for anyone looking for a nice pairing with that headphone. Only interested in selling it to another kiwi, preferable who can bring it to the meet! 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back