New York or Jersey City?
May 20, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal ...

My wife has been working in Long Island for the last year. She makes far more money there than in Florida. I'm going to quit my job and move up north so the family will be together again. No job yet, but I'm confident that I will land one after the move.

My BIG question is where to live? From what I've see on Rent.com and other places, it's a lot cheaper to live in Jersey City than New York City. I'd like to be in the $1500 range for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath. That seems available in Jersey City, and it looks like 3 /2's are more like $2500 and up in NYC.

Is my info correct? What else do I need to consider? Any advice? HELP!!!

May 20, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 19
I lived in Jersey City for a while. There is some stigma to get living in Jersey, but it is slightly more affordable. You just have to visit the areas and see which ones you like.

May 20, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 19
We spend a couple days in Jersey City in January. I know it has/had a bad reputation, but I liked what I saw. I'm not sure the stigma should still apply today. I was impressed.

May 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 19
There are very good and very bad parts to jersey city (and hoboken), but you can get a nice place for a little less than in manhattan, and the commute isn't bad via path.

May 20, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 19
As long as you stay along the river in Jersey City you will probably be in a better building with newer apartments than you would ever get in Manhattan for the price. A three bedroom, two bath anywhere around NYC for $1500.00 seems far from reality. My friend that lives in Jersey City on the River pays 2,300 per month for a one bedroom and that is siginificantly lower than an equivalent place in Manhattan. I think for that price you are going to have to be west of Grove street and gets pretty sketchy the farther west you go. You might not even be able to get that price back in that area for such a large apartment. In the new part of Jersey City on the river you will most likely pay a minimum of $3,000 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

May 20, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 19
I don't know the area at all and just going by what I find on the Internet. So fill me in, if you would, and tell me what you know about the following areas...

Clinton Hill Villa
293 - 295 Hawthorne Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102
3/2 for 1200/mo.

3211 JFK Blvd, 3BR Apt
Jersey City, NJ 07306
$1700 Bed: 3 Bath: 2

4 bdroom house
Union City, NJ 07087
$1400 Bed: 4 Bath: 2

5 Thomas Street Apartments
5 Thomas Street
Newark, NJ 07114
3/2 $900

Colonnade Park
Newark, NJ 07104
"Breathtaking Views of Manhattan & Branchbrook Park...Large Floor-to-Ceiling Windows..."
3/2 $1420

Many more listed. I don't know how to find out about the neighborhoods. Any input appreciated
tongue.gif

May 20, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
Here's the deal ...

My wife has been working in Long Island for the last year. She makes far more money there than in Florida. I'm going to quit my job and move up north so the family will be together again. No job yet, but I'm confident that I will land one after the move.

My BIG question is where to live? From what I've see on Rent.com and other places, it's a lot cheaper to live in Jersey City than New York City. I'd like to be in the $1500 range for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath. That seems available in Jersey City, and it looks like 3 /2's are more like $2500 and up in NYC.

Is my info correct? What else do I need to consider? Any advice? HELP!!!

I have lived my whole life in Jersey, and l can tell you that you will not find any decent place with 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms in Jersey city for $1500.00, absolutelly none, and seriously, unless a really bad place...if you find one consider yourself really lucky!!!!

May 20, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 19
Try Queens I think you can find a decent place about 30-45 minutes from Manhattan and Long Island in the price range you are looking for. Queens is very eclectic and a little rough around the edges but a lot of neighborhoods are changing for the better.

May 20, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Here's the deal ...

My wife has been working in Long Island for the last year.
From what I've see on Rent.com and other places, it's a lot cheaper to live in Jersey City than New York City.

Like Sovkiller said, you won't find 3 bedrooms for anywhere near the $1500 mark. Jersey City is so far from Long Island! You need to live along one of the commuter rail lines, preferably within walking distance to avoid the dreaded addtl cost of commuter parking! There's the Long Island Railroad, so check out the various towns along the way...

May 20, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I'd like to be in the $1500 range for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath.

Now would you like a pool with that? Congrats on your pending move, but honestly you'll have to adjust your expectations a bit around the NYC area. I mean my last apartment was a 475 square foot STUDIO apartment and it was $2060 a month.

Why wouldn't you consider Long Island or Queens if your wife works out there? It would actually be a pain to get out to LI from Jersey City, given the location it could easily be a 2 hour drive because of the amount of traffic and paying about $8 in tolls each way.

May 20, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 19
My wife is currently working as a live-in elderly care worker in a private home at Rockville Centre. This actually pays extremely good by Florida standards. She has had offers for other assisted living / cook / whatever, in Manhatten. She will probably switch jobs after we move up so she can spend nights at home. I will likely end up with a job that requires travel again (will try to stay with domestic this time), so we have a lot of choices for where we live.

Based on what I've seen in the Internet, it looked like Jersey City had the best price / living condition ratio. We can move anywhere in the area. I want to get out of Florida, hopefully before any more huricanes visit us.

I'm obviously shopping blind and need help.

May 20, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 19
I don't know Newark at all so I can't comment on those. The Jersey City place is in a neighborhood that will probably be pretty nice in 5-10 years as Jersey City is quickly developing after all the financial companies moved there after 9/11. I drive past JFK whenever I go to the Turnpike. It doesn't look too bad but I guess it would depend the particular building as the area can change drastically (crime rate) from one block to the other. Hopefully someone local will be able to give you some better info as I just know what I see from the car window and from friends that live closer to the river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back