New York mini meet : hifiman he1000 headphones/ ef1000 amplifiers Jan 17 and 18 after 2pm
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #46 of 58
Has anyone received a PM with details. I have not. Do you just show up and ask for room with Dr. Fang Bian.

He said he would be in lobby from 1:50-2 pm, after that ask for room with his name.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #47 of 58

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in NYC, Dinnenjous.  Unfortunately like many big urban centers, you run a risk of things like this happening, especially if you're an unwary tourist.  It's kind of the NY welcome I hate to hear about from new visitors.  There are too many great things happening in Manhattan for you to be able to miss out b/c of one bad experience. 

If there is ever an audio-related show happening in NYC, I would be happy to act as a guide for you.  The annual NY Audio Show that is held ever September is now held in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan, so technically that's not in the city proper, although I bet visiting Brooklyn would probably feel quite similar to visiting Manhattan to you. 

Yeah, I was really nervous about going to NYC in the first place because I wholly expected to be robbed or otherwise victimized.  Turns out those fears weren't unfounded.  It's a nasty thing, having your preconceived biases confirmed like that.  Then again, I hate claustrophobic and crowded environments in the first place so I'd never be comfortable in NYC even if everyone were friendly to me.  By its very nature the city is discomforting to me.

I don't have the disposable income necessary to keep up with my growing collection of IEMs—much less to fly across the country to sample gear I could never afford in the first place.  The odds of ever seeing me at a Head-Fi gathering probably hover just below zero.  I really appreciate your offer, though; that's extremely cool of you.

Why not???
confused.gif
 If anything, the free, personally engraved cans, and free air fare would surely make up for your bad experience. 

You could get robbed in Wichita, Kansas also, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and don't have your proximity sensors' batteries fully charged and engaged.

A number of reasons, really: (A) I hate big cities of all stripes by their nature; (B) I have Asperger's Syndrome and I nearly crawl out of my skin on the public transportation and crowded streets so many people navigate with ease; (C) I unapologetically intend to harbor a grudge against NYC for the rest of my life after this incident.

I could get robbed anywhere in the world, you're right.  It just so happens that it occurred in NYC, which just happens to be exactly where I'd expected it would. That's kind of hard to look past, and it's human nature (and certainly mine) to develop aversions to places associated with painful experiences.  In fairness, I have absolutely no interest in visiting Wichita, Kansas, either.  :wink:

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #48 of 58

A) Nothing.  Sarcastic comment.  I love all  of NY to bits (though I would not mind sending in the Inquisition into Willimsburg and New Brunswick...if you know what I mean).  So much energy, culture and diversity.  Best Jewish delis this side of the world.  That said, some areas require a little more precaution that others, especially if you don't look like a local (though that probably applies to anywhere and everywhere...crap happens).

B) Can you make some recommendations for all three?! 
biggrin.gif
Trying to take best advantage of being out the East Coast for work...I have been coming up there almost every other weekend!

Just curious, are you jewish (and/or orthodox) yourself? Would love to meet someone else like me... 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I realized the chance of that is very slim since I saw the inquisition comment... lol.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #50 of 58
  Just curious, are you jewish (and/or orthodox) yourself? Would love to meet someone else like me... 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I realized the chance of that is very slim since I saw the inquisition comment... lol.

I am 1/2 Russian Orthodox 1/2 Russian Jew.  Inquisition comment was a sarcastic stab at cleansing NYC of hipsters LOL

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 58

I am 1/2 Russian Orthodox 1/2 Russian Jew.  Inquisition comment was a sarcastic stab at cleansing NYC of hipsters LOL

Lol, I meant orthodox jewish.... although I should've been more specific as there's the Russian Orthodox Church as well, as I just found out :DDDD

It's ok, I wouldn't have taken it personally anyway.

Anybody know if I could hook up my own source (the Shozy Alien) for comparison purposes or they're strict about it?

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #54 of 58

B) Can you make some recommendations for all three?! 
biggrin.gif
Trying to take best advantage of being out the East Coast for work...I have been coming up there almost every other weekend!

Great music: BB King's, Village Vanguard, etc.
Joe Bonamassa is playing at the Beacon in March. Allman Bros. 4 days at Radio City every April

Great Restaurants: Silvia's Soulfood in Harlem, Juniors in Brooklyn (potato latkes and blueberry blintzes)
Canal Street: Some of the best Chinese food anywhere

Beautiful Bronx women: Dominican Day Parade...

Puerto Rican Day Parade:

Israeli Day Parade:

Ok…OK…I'll be good now 
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #57 of 58
Posted!

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #58 of 58
Moved Impressions to Meet Impressions Forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751421/new-york-mini-meet-hifiman-he-1000-impressions-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back