New Yamaha Headphones
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #91 of 136
Awesome first impression and comparison, thank you. Based on my own experience, the harsh and grainy nature you speak of, as well as the bass being slow, are things that I found have disappeared over time. The concept of burn-in is real when it comes to these cans. So much so, I recall having initial buyer's remorse when I first purchased them because of those 2 aspects, as well as excessive clamping force (as I have a big head), but all of those things did disappear after about a fortnight of solid use. I genuinely feel they are the best sounding Bluetooth cans I have had to date. I 100% agree with you on the choice of material they used for the headband and the outside of the earcups. I worry it will fray over time.

I don't usually buy burn-in, but I will be keeping these around at least a little longer before I make a decision whether to keep them or not, so I'll see if my impressions change

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #92 of 136
Hard to say when love will strike again. But I am at a point where I wouldn't buy expensive headphones that use pleather. I have too many headphones with flaky earcups and headbands

Also both the E and the L 700s go on sale in Australia for much cheaper than retail. I suggest to buy then.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #93 of 136
Looking at these versus the APM, Panda and H95. Primary use will be 2D audio. I am intrigued by thr Spatial audio but it's not essential. I am not generally a fan of boomy or sloppy bass if that matters. Any thoughts?

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #94 of 136
Looking at these versus the APM, Panda and H95. Primary use will be 2D audio. I am intrigued by thr Spatial audio but it's not essential. I am not generally a fan of boomy or sloppy bass if that matters. Any thoughts?
My perception is that the bass hits hard and deep. I won't say it's boomy or interfering with other frequencies. But the bass is always there and dialled to 11. If there is bass in the song, it will be brought out substantially. The other frequencies are good and present too. But they are islands in an ocean of bass.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #95 of 136
My perception is that the bass hits hard and deep. I won't say it's boomy or interfering with other frequencies. But the bass is always there and dialled to 11. If there is bass in the song, it will be brought out substantially. The other frequencies are good and present too. But they are islands in an ocean of bass.
Thanks. I pulled the trigger on Amazon earlier. Cautiously optimistic but I'm worried about too much bass.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #96 of 136
Thanks. I pulled the trigger in Amazon earlier. Cautiously optimistic but I'm worried about too much bass.
I have managed to temper the bass with some basic equaliser tweaks. I also feel they have absolutely settled down with burn in too. I absolutely love the sound of these babies. I have no reservations about them. They are a joy to listen to.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #97 of 136
I have managed to temper the bass with some basic equaliser tweaks. I also feel they have absolutely settled down with burn in too. I absolutely love the sound of these babies. I have no reservations about them. They are a joy to listen to.
Thanks. That's helpful. What other cans have you listened to in comparison?

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #98 of 136
Arrived today. First impressions are positive but need more time with them for sure. Initially, they sound much much better than the APM. No sucked mids which was my primary gripe. I am really digging the Audio Room setting with head tracking off. Adds a nice sense of space without being too much. I could see this being my default setting. Are you guys using the DSP for listening or sticking with straight stereo. As for the Bass, yeah, well, it's definitely there. I agree it's not too boomy but it's not subtle either. I dialed it down a bit on USB Audio Pro. Coming from a lot of planars, it does seem the speed is perhaps a bigger issue than the Bass quantity. I'm not used to this much bass but maybe with some time I'll get there. Interesting to me that the Bass seems to be reduced when I turn the 3D sound field off. How much burn in are people doing?

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #99 of 136
Arrived today. First impressions are positive but need more time with them for sure. Initially, they sound much much better than the APM. No sucked mids which was my primary gripe. I am really digging the Audio Room setting with head tracking off. Adds a nice sense of space without being too much. I could see this being my default setting. Are you guys using the DSP for listening or sticking with straight stereo. As for the Bass, yeah, well, it's definitely there. I agree it's not too boomy but it's not subtle either. I dialed it down a bit on USB Audio Pro. Coming from a lot of planars, it does seem the speed is perhaps a bigger issue than the Bass quantity. I'm not used to this much bass but maybe with some time I'll get there. Interesting to me that the Bass seems to be reduced when I turn the 3D sound field off. How much burn in are people doing?

Interesting, I have the E700A, and you must have the L700A, I have not heard both but I imagine there would be similarities. For mine, when I turn the NC on the bass is reduced. I don't remember which settings (NC, LC or LO) but they also affect the bass differently depending on music volume, so when its loud a setting might not change anything, but when its quiet the change is noticeable.

I think the ever present bass adds to the atmosphere where I feel I am at a rock concert or a club.

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #100 of 136
Interesting, I have the E700A, and you must have the L700A, I have not heard both but I imagine there would be similarities. For mine, when I turn the NC on the bass is reduced. I don't remember which settings (NC, LC or LO) but they also affect the bass differently depending on music volume, so when its loud a setting might not change anything, but when its quiet the change is noticeable.

I think the ever present bass adds to the atmosphere where I feel I am at a rock concert or a club.
Yeah L700A. Sorry should have clarified. That's an interesting observation as they do give off a "club" kind of vibe. I appreciate that the highs aren't rolled off like Bose for example.

Oct 10, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #101 of 136

On the 700A, turning on ANC kicks up the bass significantly. It's overwhelming. The sound changes significantly in fact for the worse. So much so, I probably wouldn't see myself using it.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #103 of 136
I noticed that Amazon has the L700A for just over $400 "renewed", which is a much more palatable price than $500. I didn't end up keeping mine, but I think a lot of people would probably enjoy these headphones

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #104 of 136
Hello all, I'm quite new to this world and definitely new to this forum. I've put my eyes on L700A and reading here just sparked even more interest. But I was wondering if someone can tell me about wired performance. Somewhere I read it was not better than BL which puzzled me a bit, but again, you have a true newbie here. Has anyone made some tests in that regards?
And, if I may, what about mic performance when out in the street? Is it bearable? Will I be able to stay in that call when picking up my kids at school (yes... I'm a father)?

Thank you so much!

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #105 of 136
Hello all, I'm quite new to this world and definitely new to this forum. I've put my eyes on L700A and reading here just sparked even more interest. But I was wondering if someone can tell me about wired performance. Somewhere I read it was not better than BL which puzzled me a bit, but again, you have a true newbie here. Has anyone made some tests in that regards?
And, if I may, what about mic performance when out in the street? Is it bearable? Will I be able to stay in that call when picking up my kids at school (yes... I'm a father)?

Thank you so much!
Welcome. Have a look at my post above, it has an in-depth review I link to which I feel is one of the best out there. I've used mine when out and about with no complaints from end users, however this review I'm referring you to says external noise is not suppressed. I don't feel these are the best I've had when it comes to wired performance. They shine in wireless mode but they sound a little muddy when in wired mode when I connect it to my keyboard to play music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back