New Yamaha Headphones
Aug 13, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #76 of 136
yes! had them for about a week and been meaning to write. really liking these headphones. Sound wise the've got quite a dark but smooth presentation, and more bass than i'm used to. initially i was dissapointed with the lack of treble, which made them seem like they lack clarity, and its true that they have less upper mid and treble sparkle then either of my previous headphones - shure 1840 which i love and excells in mids and highs, but lacks in low end weight - but after a couple days, and rolling off the low bass very slightly with eq, I'm having a much better time with them. The highs are there, just much less bright than the shures or my previous grado gh2s, and im finding having it less up front makes some music feel more cohesive and natural. Bassy music especially modern hip hop/ uk drill is much more fun to listen to on these than the shures, which are crystal clear but the bass energy just isnt the same.

Theyre my first closed back and first bluetooth headphones so its been very nice wearing them out the house and also not worrying about catching cables on door handles etc lol. Fully agree with your comments about the quality and comfort, theyre very nicely designed headphones and imagine they'll last well. Big thanks again for your recommendation!

Since postage took a month i ended up buying a pair of yamaha eph 100's to keep me going while on holiday, after seeing a few people mention them in these yamaha threads. Theyre also very nice and have a similar sound profile to the w300s - with slightly brighter treble but less clarity and depth in the mids - but theyre not the best for walking around since you get a lot of cable noise

Just been playing around with w300s while writin, and wanted to see if how much difference i could hear when using cable vs bluetooth. The upper mids and treble really open up with the cable and they overall sound much smoother and cleaner. holding up much better against the shures now. really impressive headphones!
Where did u get the eph 100? I ruined mine and ever since then I have been missing them, but they have become so expensive and rare to find.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #77 of 136
I've had the opportunity to try YH-L700A a couple of days ago, and was impressed by its musicality, especially the deep bass. I quite liked the 3D Sound Field, and with that outstanding rumbling bass in "cinema" preset it was quite the experience! This is the main feature of my interest, as I'm intending it as a (wireless) replacement to my almost-broken Audeze Mobius, especially to be used with the new gaming consoles (PS5).

Build quality seems pretty sturdy, but I'm worried about earpads longevity, so I'm trying to figure out 3rd party pads as a permanent replacement to the OEM ones.

I just couldn't figure out if it had volume controls, or how to operate them. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #78 of 136
I've had the opportunity to try YH-L700A a couple of days ago, and was impressed by its musicality, especially the deep bass. I quite liked the 3D Sound Field, and with that outstanding rumbling bass in "cinema" preset it was quite the experience! This is the main feature of my interest, as I'm intending it as a (wireless) replacement to my almost-broken Audeze Mobius, especially to be used with the new gaming consoles (PS5).

Build quality seems pretty sturdy, but I'm worried about earpads longevity, so I'm trying to figure out 3rd party pads as a permanent replacement to the OEM ones.

I just couldn't figure out if it had volume controls, or how to operate them. Can anyone enlighten me on that?
Cool. The volume controls are on the right earcup, below where the fabric mesh is.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #80 of 136
German website Computerbild posted a review of the L700A here. It’s a good-quality consumer review, not a slab of audiophile lingo.

I speak enough German to take from it that the sound is powerful and resolving, with precise, extended bass, and voices presented without coloration. They prefer the sound of the AirPods Max by a tiny margin as they find it very natural, but they really enjoyed the innovative 3D head-tracking effect and the way it works regardless of the source instead of needing Dolby Atmos or Sony 360 support.
The Cinema 3D-mode works well and the Concert Hall mode sounds more like a sports venue than an opera house.
Overall they rated the Yamaha with their highest score, as high as the AirPods Max and Amiron Wireless.

I am looking for an alternative/replacement for my uncomfortable, problematic, bass-lean Aëdle VK-X, and am really interested in the L700A. The form factor and aptX Adaptive support appeal to me greatly.

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #81 of 136
i have read the article, but i would like to know more about the jvc exofield xp-ext 1. i have a yamaha cx-a5100 surround processor and want to leave all my sources connected to the hdmi output of the yamaha. will the jvc work as it should when i connect it to the second hdmi output of the yamaha ?

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #82 of 136
I came across the Yamaha YH-L700A on Amazon just browsing, really liked the look but no reviews and a bit expensive. Not a lot of info out there but of course Head-Fi comes through with some impressions. Long-story short, I ordered them to audition against my Drop Pandas. Looking forward to giving them a try

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #83 of 136
I came across the Yamaha YH-L700A on Amazon just browsing, really liked the look but no reviews and a bit expensive. Not a lot of info out there but of course Head-Fi comes through with some impressions. Long-story short, I ordered them to audition against my Drop Pandas. Looking forward to giving them a try
Keen to get your thoughts. The Drop Pandas were the only other cans I was considering but was put off by the comfort drawbacks that people were reporting, mainly the hot spot on top of people's heads. Loving the YH-L700A.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #84 of 136
I couldn't keep myself from getting the YH-L700a as I couldn't stop thinking about their sound since I first tried them at the store. To my luck, I found someone who received them as a gift but had no need for them. I bought them secondhand for approx. $272.

Here are my thoughts:

Musicality (ANC Off. 3D Sound Field Off. Head-tracking Off):

Timbre-wise, this could be the most naturally sounding wireless headphone in this range. My Bose QC35 doesn't match that level of musicality. AirPod Max, despite sounding engaging and pleasant, their stage seems too narrow whenever I try them at the store. In that aspect in particular, I feel the YH-L700A convey good spaciousness, but I should note that the sounds always feel projected from some distance. Instruments occupying the soundstage don't get very close, as if the instruments are constrained to a space outside an imaginary bubble the listener is sitting in, or you might say it's like listening from the 2nd or 3rd row away from the stage. That sound, however, has a slight "echo-y" character to it. AirPods Max rival the YH-L700A, but the AirPods fail with string instruments, giving them uncanny, artificial plucks.

Still haven't tried higher resolution codecs...

3D Sound Field (ANC Off or On doesn't make a difference):

Although it simply upscales stereo sound into multi-channel surround sound, these headphones perform admirably in that regard. Although the YH-L700A are comparable to my Audeze Mobius in virtualization over Bluetooth, the feel of 3-dimentionality is superior to the Mobius (in Bluetooth mode). Unfortunately, the YH-L700A don't accept 7.1 USB signal in wired mode as the Mobius do, which gives the Mobius unmatched advantage when portraying multi-channel virtual surround sound over USB. All in all, I'd say the YH-L700A envelop the listener with their spectacular tonal warmth and sub-bass rumble, while the Mobius trade blows by having a little better speech intelligibility on account of being planar-magnetic.
Among the many 3D modes of the YH-L700A, I've settled to using only few. In watching movies with multi-channel surround sound or Dobly Atmos, I prefer 'Audio Room' preset to 'Cinema' preset as it produces sharper dimentionality and better localized 3D effect. In comparison, the vast soundstage of the 'Cinema' preset sounds washed out, and distant. Another useful preset is 'Drama', mainly for watching YouTube videos or some TV shows because it focuses speech, making it easier to follow dialogue. Lastly, 'Outdoor Live' suits watching live sports and matches.
Head-tracking seems to work very well, but I didn't have enough time to play video games.

Active Noise Cancellation:

I think the ANC here doesn't change the character or tonality of what you're listening to, but I'd have to give it more listening time. I'd say it's good enough, but doesn't rival the giants in that field (Bose QC or 700, Sony WH-1000X series, AirPods Max).

In conclusion, I mainly use the Yamahas for cinematic and 3D sound applications. I would say they would be the best virtual surround headphones for the 'Tempest' technology in the PS5, whenever these elusive gaming consoles become available!

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #85 of 136
The bass on the E700A is becoming quite punishing. I love everything about it, just not the headaches. Seriously, some people complain that headphones are too bright and they can't listen to them for extended listening sessions, on the Yamahas its the opposite, the lows are too dark and hard hitting.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #86 of 136
The bass on the E700A is becoming quite punishing. I love everything about it, just not the headaches. Seriously, some people complain that headphones are too bright and they can't listen to them for extended listening sessions, on the Yamahas its the opposite, the lows are too dark and hard hitting.
Thankfully that's not the case with the YH-L700A. I found some music listening time late last night, and the two notes of hard-hitting bass in Glass Animal's 'Black Mambo' sounded pleasant despite giving a good tactile feel of that drum action. Not punishing at all, just some of that sweet dynamic driver goodness.
I'm not a bass-head, but this might be the only headphone I purchased for their bass!

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #87 of 136

It's heartbreaking hearing the problems with the mobius, I guess this yam will be the choice for the ps5 purchase for me also

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #88 of 136
During the time I had them, I found the E700A to be the same. I recall the bass settled with time and some equalizing, but it was definitely front and centre no matter the genre. I find this much less prevalent with the L700A. The bass is present but pleasant.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #89 of 136

I've had a few days to make comparisons, so I thought I'd follow up on some briefs thought on the Yamaha YH-L700A and a comparison with the Drop Panda

20210914_080205.JPG

Comfort and Build:

Clamp is stronger on the Pandas. The earpads feel nicer and better cushioned, but you still notice them on your head more than the more comfortable L700s. The headband on the L700 is definitely superior. The Pandas can develop a bit of a hotspot at the top, though I don't find them too bad unless it's a longer listening session. I don't love the material used for the headband on either headphone. The Panda has a rubberized material on the portion that touches your head and the L700s have fabric. Not a deal-breaker, and I guess they may not flake like pleather headbands are known to over time, but they feel a bit weird.

The plastic and overall construction on the L700 definitely feels better quality. There are known issue with the Panda handband failing, hard to say with the L700 since it hasn't been out long for people to throw around. I will warn that the L700s may not fit smaller heads. I only need two "clicks" on the earcups extensions to fit, and my head isn't small (on the Pandas I need six "clicks"), so if you have a really small head I could imagine them being too big.

Sound:

I should start by saying that I use the Pandas with SoundID personalization. I thought about doing the comparison with the default sound, but honestly the personalization improves the Pandas so much I wouldn't recommend them at all without it. So my listening with the Panda are with SoundID applied, my profile being "U-Type" according to the app:

Screenshot_20210914-093509.jpg

Listening on both headphones done over Bluetooth with AptX Adaptive.

L700s have a more lively, exciting, consumer oriented sound. Even more U-shaped than my Panda SoundID profile I would say. Mids aren't necessarily recessed, but there's a lot of bass. It can be a little slow and boomy for my tastes in some songs. I've heard much worse in that regard, but the Panda is a little quicker and cleaner. The L700s have more impact for sure. I found upper mids and highs on the L700 detailed and natural most of the time, but they are a bit grainy and occasionally harsh. This is likely somewhat to do with imperfect recording and mastering in the music, but just keep in mind that these aren't a super-relaxed, easy listening headphone. They definitely put the upper end of the frequency response a bit forward, whereas even with soundID the Pandas are a little darker and roll off sooner. Timbre is a little more natural and smooth on the Pandas in my opinion, but not a huge difference. There's more of a sense of space with the L700s (3D off) compared to the Pandas, which present a more closed-in sound, but neither of these are "soundstage" monsters.

3D and head-tracking are interesting features, but not useful for music in my opinion. 3D is good good for movies, though I didn't find head-tracking to add anything to my experience.

Sample of test tracks:
Queens of the Stone Age - My God Is the Sun
Josh Ritter - Bright Smile
Purity Ring - Bodyache
The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize (Mokran Mix)
Clipse - Lord Willin'
The Mountain Goats - Andrew Eldritch is Moving Back to Leeds
Solomon Burke - None of Us Are Free
Spoon - Finer Feelings
Freddie Hubbard - Gypsy Blue
Ariana Grande - Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored

Conclusion:

Part of which headphone to get comes down to features. These are both bluetooth headphones, but the Yamaha has ANC, 3D and head-tracking features the Pandas obviously don't. The Pandas isolate well for a closed headphone, but if you're taking a lot of flights you would likely still miss ANC. On the other hand while both of these headphones sound good, the Pandas have an edge in my listening. The SoundID feature to personalize them is very useful and can really transforms the Drop Pandas. There are questions of durability and comfort that makes the Panda a riskier buy, especially if buying used without a warranty. I think the L700s are a bit too expensive. If they were $350 or even $400 they would be an easier buy, but $500 is a bit harder to justify in my head. The Panda retails at $400 when available, but can easily be found for 2nd hand $200 in good condition (which is how I got mine).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #90 of 136
I've had a few days to make comparisons, so I thought I'd follow up on some briefs thought on the Yamaha YH-L700A and a comparison with the Drop Panda

20210914_080205.JPG

Comfort and Build:

Clamp is stronger on the Pandas. The earpads feel nicer and better cushioned, but you still notice them on your head more than the more comfortable L700s. The headband on the L700 is definitely superior. The Pandas can develop a bit of a hotspot at the top, though I don't find them too bad unless it's a longer listening session. I don't love the material used for the headband on either headphone. The Panda has a rubberized material on the portion that touches your head and the L700s have fabric. Not a deal-breaker, and I guess they may not flake like pleater headbands are known to over time, but they feel a bit weird.

The plastic and overall construction on the L700 definitely feels better quality. There are known issue with the Panda handband failing, hard to say with the L700 since it hasn't been out long for people to throw around. I will warn that the L700s may not fit smaller heads. I only need two "clicks" on the earcups extensions to fit, and my head isn't small (on the Pandas I need six "clicks"), so if you have a really small head I could imagine them being too big.

Sound:

I should start by saying that I use the Pandas with SoundID personalization. I thought about doing the comparison with the default sound, but honestly the personalization improves the Pandas so much I wouldn't recommend them at all without it. So my listening with the Panda are with SoundID applied, my profile being "U-Type" according to the app:

Screenshot_20210914-093509.jpg

Listening on both headphones done over Bluetooth with AptX Adaptive.

L700s have a more lively, exciting, consumer oriented sound. Even more U-shaped than my Panda SoundID profile I would say. Mids aren't necessarily recessed, but there's a lot of bass. It can be a little slow and boomy for my tastes in some songs. I've heard much worse in that regard, but the Panda is a little quicker and cleaner. The L700s have more impact for sure. I found upper mids and highs on the L700 detailed and natural most of the time, but they are a bit grainy and occasionally harsh. This is likely somewhat to do with imperfect recording and mastering in the music, but just keep in mind that these aren't a super-relaxed, easy listening headphone. They definitely put the upper end of the frequency response a bit forward, whereas even with soundID the Pandas are a little darker and roll off sooner. Timbre is a little more natural and smooth on the Pandas in my opinion, but not a huge difference. There's more of a sense of space with the L700s (3D off) compared to the Pandas, which present a more closed-in sound, but neither of these are "soundstage" monsters.

3D and head-tracking are interesting features, but not useful for music in my opinion. 3D is good good for movies, though I didn't find head-tracking to add anything to my experience.

Sample of test tracks:
Queens of the Stone Age - My God Is the Sun
Josh Ritter - Bright Smile
Purity Ring - Bodyache
The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize (Mokran Mix)
Clipse - Lord Willin'
The Mountain Goats - Andrew Eldritch is Moving Back to Leeds
Solomon Burke - None of Us Are Free
Spoon - Finer Feelings
Freddie Hubbard - Gypsy Blue
Ariana Grande - Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored

Conclusion:

Part of which headphone to get comes down to features. These are both bluetooth headphones, but the Yamaha has ANC, 3D and head-tracking features the Pandas obviously don't. The Pandas isolate well for a closed headphone, but if you're taking a lot of flights you would likely still miss ANC. On the other hand while both of these headphones sound good, the Pandas have an edge in my listening. The SoundID feature to personalize them is very useful and can really transforms the Drop Pandas. There are questions of durability and comfort that makes the Panda a riskier buy, especially if buying used without a warranty. I think the L700s are a bit too expensive. If they were $350 or even $400 they would be an easier buy, but $500 is a bit harder to justify in my head. The Panda retails at $400 when available, but can easily be found for 2nd hand $200 in good condition (which is how I got mine).
Awesome first impression and comparison, thank you. Based on my own experience, the harsh and grainy nature you speak of, as well as the bass being slow, are things that I found have disappeared over time. The concept of burn-in is real when it comes to these cans. So much so, I recall having initial buyer's remorse when I first purchased them because of those 2 aspects, as well as excessive clamping force (as I have a big head), but all of those things did disappear after about a fortnight of solid use. I genuinely feel they are the best sounding Bluetooth cans I have had to date. I 100% agree with you on the choice of material they used for the headband and the outside of the earcups. I worry it will fray over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back