New Yamaha Headphones
Jul 6, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #61 of 136
These have gone back but what I can tell you is they were quite bass heavy which chewed into the mids quite a bit. They also sounded quite recessed/veiled to my ears, even though they improved with break in. The fancy stuff that Yamaha was selling these on the premise of was useless in my opinion.

My Yamaha HPH-W300 cans (which I've had for more than a year, and have used almost daily) remain the best sounding bluetooth cans that I've heard to date, with the only exception being the Airpods Max which I recently tested extensively. The only thing that's put me off the latter is their price as well as their battery life, which is poor. The day any company can make cans that can sound as good, at half the price, with double the battery life, and the same build quality, I'm sold. That's saying something given I'm not even into the Apple/ios ecosystem.

Hi Romani, interested to hear more about your experiece with the w300's. would you say the sound is considerably better than the e700s? and how did you find the isolation and comfort in comaprison?

cheers

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #62 of 136
Hi Romani, interested to hear more about your experiece with the w300's. would you say the sound is considerably better than the e700s? and how did you find the isolation and comfort in comaprison?

cheers
I feel the W300 has way better mids and less boomy bass than the E700. Definitely a more mature sound signature in my view. The E700 however have a better sound stage due to their deeper and larger earcups. The W300 is likely to fit egg heads like mine better as I found I had to stretch out the headband on the E700 to the max, and they barely made it all the way down my ear lobe. Having said that, the W300 have shallower ear cups, so my ears would slightly touch the driver, which can become noticeable after extended use. None of the cans caused any hot spots on top of my head. The earcups of the E700 feel better constructed but the head band of the W300 is superior in quality. I also have to say, the material of the headband on the W300 is top notch, with it still as good as new (with no fraying) post using them daily for more than a year. The E700 have better isolation as they cover more of the ear and will excel even further with noise cancellation on, something that the W300 do not have. Having said that, with both cans, I found I can drown out most of my surroundings in passive mode with any music on at mid volume. Since my post above which you're replying to, I ended up purchasing the L700, and they basically merge the best of both of these cans. They are now my favourite cans of all time, and fix everything that I disliked about the E700. They're still not as forward as the W300 in their mid range and still have a solid bass thump, but everything across the sound spectrum is refined.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #63 of 136
I ended up purchasing the L700, and they basically merge the best of both of these cans.
cool, thanks very much for the comparison. The L700's do seem nice and incredible value at sale price, but it wouldnt be easy getting them to the uk since jb hifi wont ship international and i've no contacts in aus. wierd that they dont seem to have been sold outside of aus.. either way I went and bought some w300s which should be here in a few weeks - slow shipping from japan - since i imagine ill prefer the sound to the e700s, and rate the design over just about any other wireless pair ive seen. shame they dont have noise cancelling but not a dealbreaker. Big thanks for mentioning them since there's almost no info about them anywhere, apart from a couple very positive reviews.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #64 of 136
cool, thanks very much for the comparison. The L700's do seem nice and incredible value at sale price, but it wouldnt be easy getting them to the uk since jb hifi wont ship international and i've no contacts in aus. wierd that they dont seem to have been sold outside of aus.. either way I went and bought some w300s which should be here in a few weeks - slow shipping from japan - since i imagine ill prefer the sound to the e700s, and rate the design over just about any other wireless pair ive seen. shame they dont have noise cancelling but not a dealbreaker. Big thanks for mentioning them since there's almost no info about them anywhere, apart from a couple very positive reviews.
Welcome. I didn't realise the L700 was still not available globally. I'm keen to get your thoughts once the W300s arrive. I think you will be pleasantly surprised 😊👍

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #69 of 136
I'm curious about these L700s. How about a sound quality comparison with the Sony WH-1000XM4 or AirPods MAX?
I've already talked about sound quite a bit earlier in this thread, so I won't dive into too much detail again. I will say the L700 sound better than the XM4 but similar to the MAX. I've tested both for about 30 minutes each. I found the Sonys muddy (but with stronger noise cancellation and cabin pressure). The MAX have a slightly more forward sound signature and less bass thump compared to the L700. Of the 3, I would easily choose the L700, because of sound quality compared to the XM4, and price and battery compared to the MAX, given the sound quality is pretty even. Also, the 3D and positional sound trickery on the L700 is compatible with any phone, unlike Apple's set which only works with their own devices. Hope that helps.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #70 of 136
I've already talked about sound quite a bit earlier in this thread, so I won't dive into too much detail again. I will say the L700 sound better than the XM4 but similar to the MAX. I've tested both for about 30 minutes each. I found the Sonys muddy (but with stronger noise cancellation and cabin pressure). The MAX have a slightly more forward sound signature and less bass thump compared to the L700. Of the 3, I would easily choose the L700, because of sound quality compared to the XM4, and price and battery compared to the MAX, given the sound quality is pretty even. Also, the 3D and positional sound trickery on the L700 is compatible with any phone, unlike Apple's set which only works with their own devices. Hope that helps.
That’s very helpful. Thanks. Just waiting for them to become available here in the US. Apparently sometime this month.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #73 of 136
Have your W300 arrived yet? If yes, any thoughts?

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #74 of 136
Have your W300 arrived yet? If yes, any thoughts?
yes! had them for about a week and been meaning to write. really liking these headphones. Sound wise the've got quite a dark but smooth presentation, and more bass than i'm used to. initially i was dissapointed with the lack of treble, which made them seem like they lack clarity, and its true that they have less upper mid and treble sparkle then either of my previous headphones - shure 1840 which i love and excells in mids and highs, but lacks in low end weight - but after a couple days, and rolling off the low bass very slightly with eq, I'm having a much better time with them. The highs are there, just much less bright than the shures or my previous grado gh2s, and im finding having it less up front makes some music feel more cohesive and natural. Bassy music especially modern hip hop/ uk drill is much more fun to listen to on these than the shures, which are crystal clear but the bass energy just isnt the same.

Theyre my first closed back and first bluetooth headphones so its been very nice wearing them out the house and also not worrying about catching cables on door handles etc lol. Fully agree with your comments about the quality and comfort, theyre very nicely designed headphones and imagine they'll last well. Big thanks again for your recommendation!

Since postage took a month i ended up buying a pair of yamaha eph 100's to keep me going while on holiday, after seeing a few people mention them in these yamaha threads. Theyre also very nice and have a similar sound profile to the w300s - with slightly brighter treble but less clarity and depth in the mids - but theyre not the best for walking around since you get a lot of cable noise

Just been playing around with w300s while writin, and wanted to see if how much difference i could hear when using cable vs bluetooth. The upper mids and treble really open up with the cable and they overall sound much smoother and cleaner. holding up much better against the shures now. really impressive headphones!

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #75 of 136
yes! had them for about a week and been meaning to write. really liking these headphones. Sound wise the've got quite a dark but smooth presentation, and more bass than i'm used to. initially i was dissapointed with the lack of treble, which made them seem like they lack clarity, and its true that they have less upper mid and treble sparkle then either of my previous headphones - shure 1840 which i love and excells in mids and highs, but lacks in low end weight - but after a couple days, and rolling off the low bass very slightly with eq, I'm having a much better time with them. The highs are there, just much less bright than the shures or my previous grado gh2s, and im finding having it less up front makes some music feel more cohesive and natural. Bassy music especially modern hip hop/ uk drill is much more fun to listen to on these than the shures, which are crystal clear but the bass energy just isnt the same.

Theyre my first closed back and first bluetooth headphones so its been very nice wearing them out the house and also not worrying about catching cables on door handles etc lol. Fully agree with your comments about the quality and comfort, theyre very nicely designed headphones and imagine they'll last well. Big thanks again for your recommendation!

Since postage took a month i ended up buying a pair of yamaha eph 100's to keep me going while on holiday, after seeing a few people mention them in these yamaha threads. Theyre also very nice and have a similar sound profile to the w300s - with slightly brighter treble but less clarity and depth in the mids - but theyre not the best for walking around since you get a lot of cable noise

Just been playing around with w300s while writin, and wanted to see if how much difference i could hear when using cable vs bluetooth. The upper mids and treble really open up with the cable and they overall sound much smoother and cleaner. holding up much better against the shures now. really impressive headphones!
Phew!...glad you are now enjoying them 😊 I'm quite sensitive to sibilance, so I have always felt their top end was more than adequate. The last time I tested a pair of Shures and Grados, I could not cope with more than 5 minutes of testing 😂 Fully agree with your commentary on their wired sound too. I used them for my music production when recording tracks on my keyboard. The mid range and detail is always beautifully captured. They are better at that even compared to the much more expensive L700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back