New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 19, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #106 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well with all due respect IMO the current Supermicro IV is the best period. This should blow everything and then some.

Ray's amp are fantastic, he is a great guy with great service and super fast shipment. His amps are built like a tank and sound great. I currently own an SR71 and a Tomahawk. However as I stated above the current Supermicro IV sounds better so there is no guessing since it has already happened.

Sell me your TH when you get this amp.
k1000smile.gif

May 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #108 of 559
Quote:

8616 was among the ones used, not the 8615.

Did you use 8616 for all "channels" 1-4?

May 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #109 of 559
Quote:

We will see! I hope to take both to the Tampa meet in June.
icon10.gif

You have to throw me a sick deal for still having that CD player of mine and not telling me your impressions, lol.

May 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #110 of 559
Ia m sure new reference will sound better. One limiting factor in xin amps is space in PCBs. They are so cluttered together so that cross-talk and oscillation can plague the design very easily.
Reference have the advantage of having space in its PCB. Along with better power supply, bigger capacitance and simplicity of layout will make it a winner.
New Supermini after 4/11 has superbly improved sound quality than my PRE-4/11 SUPERMACRO. It doesn't have laid back mids. It gives better refined bass, more clarity and wider sound-stage.

May 19, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #111 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Supermini after 4/11 has superbly improved sound quality than my PRE-4/11 SUPERMACRO. It doesn't have laid back mids.

Is Xin allowing pre 4/11 amps to be sent in for this upgrade yet? I'm waiting to send in my Supermini IV.

May 19, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #112 of 559
I think Dr. XIN asked customers to wait a little as it involves complete replacement of the circuit board it seems. He may be wanitng to clear the back log of orders before he does upgrades. Still one can mail him and send the amp I think.

May 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #113 of 559
Miguel,

I agree that how Dr.Xin spends his time is his business. The point of my post was that the reference edition should not become an obsession now. He is a builder and a tweaker and we have seen all the tweaks the IV amps went through. I am sure he is going to find something better soon and it should not hold him up from delivering other amps.

Honestly, I think 99% of the folks will not find a big difference in sound with the latest tweaks for the IV amps. Xin amps have sounded always good to me ever since my Supermini Ver. 5.18. If you disagree,then you are in the 1% of population that can discern the nuances in sound
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to your review on the reference edition.

Quote:

And as I posted earlier:

May 19, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #115 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel,

I agree that how Dr.Xin spends his time is his business. The point of my post was that the reference edition should not become an obsession now. He is a builder and a tweaker and we have seen all the tweaks the IV amps went through. I am sure he is going to find something better soon and it should not hold him up from delivering other amps.

Honestly, I think 99% of the folks will not find a big difference in sound with the latest tweaks for the IV amps. Xin amps have sounded always good to me ever since my Supermini Ver. 5.18. If you disagree,then you are in the 1% of population that can discern the nuances in sound
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to your review on the reference edition.

You are correct! I will add that in order to hear a difference people need to have a great source as well as a great can. For example if someone used a cheap radio as a source with a set of iBuds I could swear all the amps would sound the same. On the other hand if you have an iModded iPod via a high quality IC and an UE10, Shure E500, etc then I believe you could hear the difference in various amps.

May 19, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #116 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use 8616 for all "channels" 1-4?

Yes I used:

8616 on both w/ buffers bypassed
8656 on both w/ buffers bypassed
8616 on L/R with 8656 on 3/4 w/ buffers bypassed
8656 on L/R with 8616 on 3/4 w/ buffers bypassed

The best sound out of the LE was with the 8656 on L/R with the 8616 on the 3/4 w/ buffers bypassed. I have also used the 8397, 825, and others.

May 19, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #118 of 559
It is about a millimeter in less width and length than a normal credit card and per the image .9 inches thick.

May 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #120 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just says it's .9 inches tall.

Your too quick! :^) I checked my IV, which is the same case. I can find a ruler right now so I used a credit card as a common reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back