New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
May 30, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #317 of 559
Just got the new RE board, sounding fantastic out of the box
600smile.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #320 of 559
Mrarroyo came by my office this afternoon and installed the new board in the Reference. We listened for a bit and I can say that in my opinion this version sounds better than the first one, and that is with no burn-in. It is detailed and clear like the first version but the sounds are not as "hard" and it has some of the suave and musical qualities of the micro while having the overall more powerful and detailed character of the first model. I recorded the same 3 cuts from this unit as in my other amp posting and I will be uploading them when I get home tonight, so you will be able to get some idea of how this amp sounds fresh out of the box with no burn-in. Mrarroyo may bring the amp over on Saturday and I will make another recording of how the unit sounds after burning-in until then.

May 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #322 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm uploading a zip file called amps.zip. Let me know if it works. Give it about 4 minutes to finish uploading.
http://vorlon1.com/amps.zip

Perfect. Thanks!

May 30, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #323 of 559
The amp after just 4 hours or so is a clear improvement over the Beta and in many facets over the Supermicro IV. However it needs to burn in so the full effects of the 15,000 uF cap can be determined.

BTW, Vorlon1 will be getting a brand new Reference Xin shortly.
very_evil_smiley.gif
He could not believe it when I told him.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #324 of 559
How long will it be so that I can order one of the Xin Reference units?

May 31, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #325 of 559
After a whole night's burn-in, RE is already a winner over Micro. IMHO, it has almost all virtues of Micro yet have an overall warmer, more tube-like, bigger, and more powerful presentation.

May 31, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #326 of 559
Gahh, but it's so big!
frown.gif
Must resist... I placed my order in early May, so I've got some time to kill till it gets here anyway. Can't wait to hear the impressions of the fully burnt in Reference amp with the new board! People have joyed about the perfect synergy between the ER-4S and the SMIV, so this will be quite the battle.

May 31, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #327 of 559
Here is the file with the same recordings (Bach, Krall, and Cassidy) recorded with the Reference with the new board. I think the difference between the new and old is quite clear, even heard this way, and with no burn-in.. I wonder what other people think? http://vorlon1.com/newboard.zip

May 31, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #330 of 559
Vorlon1,
Thanks for the new board samples. Here are early initial impressions. On the Bach sample the solo violin parts sounds wonderful on the new reference beating all the others. However, on the Krall sample the bass is definitely muddier compared to the other amps. Have to give it a longer listen later on. Overall according to my ears there isn't one clear winner. Some amps sound better on specific tracks, but none have it across the board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back