New Xin Amps available
Oct 11, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #46 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oeryk
OOH! Very helpful! That should be a sticky on every Audiophile thread. THANKS!

So, with all of this adjustability, would you say that the SuperMacro is going to be better than the Hornet? Of course, still basing it on the SR-71 since many have not heard the Hornet yet.

Having used both, I would be inclined to say that if I were only to consider sound quality, the SR71 will get the nod. Please note that this is comparing a stock SR-71 to stock SM3 with 4 switches.
However, taking into account size, features and the ability to work with a large variety of different headphones (through op amp rolling and the switches), I would recommend the SM3 for portable applications.
As I have also mentioned before, IEMs and cans that need bass reinforcement benefit greatly form the bass boost.
However, if the Hornet can provide the same sound quality as the SR-71, I would like to review my thoughts again
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #47 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Hey guys I'm having problems deciding between the supermicro and supermini for my e5c.
Does anyone know for sure which will sound better in the end? I love the look of the micro although the extra features of the mini might be useful later on...
Can someone suggest which one I should get...
Oh and I also have a HD-497 so it'll b nice if it sounds great on both.
icon10.gif

The mini has a nice black case, that simply can't accidentally open, very good battery life (he claims 70hours or so with the worst--highest power use, that is--opamp in class A!), extra little goodies, and it's still half the size of a mint tin, even being the 'bigger' one.

The micro may be even smaller, and if it were $25 or more cheaper, might be good for that, but I can't see it being worth it unless you (a) really like the size and weight (it could hang on a lanyard w/ your player attached), or (b) really like the look, which is very distinct.

I plan to be ordering the mini in a matter of days (any idea how long the intro price will last?).

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #48 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
I plan to be ordering the mini in a matter of days (any idea how long the intro price will last?).

Until at least Thanksgiving and probably after, according to Xin. My Mini V6a is a super little amp so the new version ought to be a real killer.

Oct 11, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #49 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
Having used both, I would be inclined to say that if I were only to consider sound quality, the SR71 will get the nod. Please note that this is comparing a stock SR-71 to stock SM3 with 4 switches.

Seems to me one would have to compare the two using the same opamps to make this claim. BTW, what opamp does the SR71 use?
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #50 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
BTW, this link is to the existing SuperMacro, not the new and considerably different SM3-6 version.

Oh forgive me I didn't know the new Supermacro uses a different type of opamp.

The characteristics of any opamp won't change over time.

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #51 of 157
Well, I ordered at new Supermacro. I will post a comparison of it and the Porta Corda Mk III when I get it.

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #52 of 157
Quote:

Nevertheless you should take the two different sound signatures into account, too. As far as I know there's no OpAmp that'll make your SM3 sound like the SR-71, so you won't get both when buying the SM3.

Actually I did make the SM V3 sound like the SR71. I believe that I was using the 8610 but I am not positive. But I did get the same sound in most all respects. The V3 to me, is more alive and "there" with the sound but I must add that the 71 offers a very enjoyable and quality sound.

John in Jishou City, China

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #53 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusH
Awww no please! That's not a good timing now. I....won't....upgrade....now
wink.gif

Any known figures of the noise level of the new SuperMacro? If it's more silent I'll be even more tempted to go for it as the current SuperMacro still adds some hiss when listening with my UE10.

Ciao,
Marcus

Marcus, tell me what you end up putting in your SM3 as opamps for your UE10s. I would be interested in hearing about it.

-Chris

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #54 of 157
Quote:

Seems to me one would have to compare the two using the same opamps to make this claim. BTW, what opamp does the SR71 use?
tongue.gif

True. However, the op-amps in the SR-71 are 'disguised', making direct comparisons a little difficult. And I also believe the the different amp circuit designs should result differences in the sound signature even with the same opamp.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #55 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Oh forgive me I didn't know the new Supermacro uses a different type of opamp.

The characteristics of any opamp won't change over time.

I'm not certain if you're simply being facetious, but changes include, among others, completely different board layouts and a far more sophisticated charging circuit. Both models include sockets, but the v6 has more. And best of all, they're easily accessible.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #56 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
True. However, the op-amps in the SR-71 are 'disguised', making direct comparisons a little difficult.

This is the point I was making, Tbin. Why do you suppose the opamps are 'disguised' in the SR-71? Doesn't that at least suggest that the maker wants to avoid direct comparisons? What other motive could there be?

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #57 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Well, I ordered at new Supermacro. I will post a comparison of it and the Porta Corda Mk III when I get it.

Do a comparison between the Macro and your HA-2 if you want a real eye-opener.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #58 of 157
Quote:

Do a comparison between the Macro and your HA-2 if you want a real eye-opener.
tongue.gif

Sure, I will, but even if they sound they sounded equally good (which I highy doubt), I wouldn't use the SM3 in my home application. Totally wrong form factor. I really do hope it bests the Porta Corda Mk III (which it should for almost 2x the price), though.

I have heard more than just a few headphone amps, and not one has been as clean and neutral as the HA-2, including the Headroom Maxed Out Home Reference!

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #59 of 157
Quote:

This is the point I was making, Tbin. Why do you suppose the opamps are 'disguised' in the SR-71? Doesn't that at least suggest that the maker wants to avoid direct comparisons? What other motive could there be?

IIANM, Ray disguised the opamps cos he wanted to avoid the cloning of his amps much like what happened to Grado and the RA-1.

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #60 of 157
Quote:

I'm not certain if you're simply being facetious, but changes include, among others, completely different board layouts and a far more sophisticated charging circuit. Both models include sockets, but the v6 has more. And best of all, they're easily accessible.

Jokey/Sarcastic, yes probably...

What I meant was that however improved the V6 might be, it still uses 8-pin opamps the same as any other amp. If it didn't it'd be like Xin turning into Sony, with their memory sticks.
plainface.gif

Then following on that means the guide to each opamp is relevant to any amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back