New Xin Amps available
Oct 10, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Hey guys I'm having problems deciding between the supermicro and supermini for my e5c.
Does anyone know for sure which will sound better in the end? I love the look of the micro although the extra features of the mini might be useful later on...
Can someone suggest which one I should get...
Oh and I also have a HD-497 so it'll b nice if it sounds great on both.
icon10.gif

Since you have an iPod, I'd definitely go for the SuperMini. Unless the Micro's size is all-important, the additional advantages of the Mini would be hard to pass up. The features module--if implemented as well as in the SuperMacro--is extremely useful. Before getting the Macro I used Mini v3 and v6 models attached to my iPod cases and wouldn't really want anything smaller.

Oct 10, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 157
Oh why do i need the extra features for the iPod??
confused.gif

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a new player before the end of the year, whether it will be a smaller ipod or a video ipod... Is it a definite nod for the mini?
I don't really care about size that much, unless the new ipod is tInY
icon10.gif

I liked the supermicro for the looks...
Does anyone know if the SQ is the same or if one's betta than the other???

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #33 of 157
After looking at the pictures and reading the description I still dont get how you use the module...
Do i have to open up the amp and move jumpers around every time I need to turn a feature on?

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #35 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
After looking at the pictures and reading the description I still dont get how you use the module...
Do i have to open up the amp and move jumpers around every time I need to turn a feature on?

You do have to move the jumpers to turn features on and off with the Mini, but that's not as onerous as it may appear to you. The top half of the case simply slides off and the jumpers appear to be similar to those used to change the slave/master status on many hard drives.

I find that I rarely change the switches on my Macro except when I switch 'phones. For example, I only use the impedance switch with ER4Ps, the gain switch with DT880s, and use none at all with SA5Ks.

The crossfeed is used mostly with "golden oldies" which I rarely listen to. Changing the jumpers shouldn't take more than 30 seconds or after the first time. Just keep those tweezers handy.

One of the advantages of the Mini over the Micro is that the opamps and buffers can be rolled on the former. Another is the much longer batter life.

The reason I related the Mini's size to the iPod is that it bundles nicely. OTOH, if you plan to buy a Nano the Micro would (obviously) be a better fit.

The real standout among these amps is the Macro--if cost and the larger case isn't a problem. I love my SM3 and the SM3-6 should be even better. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that, SQ-wise, the Mini compares well with any portable amp on the market. Xin really has his act together and he just keep getting better with each generation.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #36 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Can someone comment on the efficacy of the crossfeed and bass boost on this amp (or prior versions if they had them)? TIA.

With the SM3, I do not really like how the crossfeed affects the sound in general, but the bass boost is the real deal.
Adds the required amount of bass for Ety 4P/S and fills out the bottom end of the AKG 501 beautifully. All this while maintaining excellent quality of bass.

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #37 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
With the SM3, I do not really like how the crossfeed affects the sound in general, but the bass boost is the real deal.
Adds the required amount of bass for Ety 4P/S and fills out the bottom end of the AKG 501 beautifully. All this while maintaining excellent quality of bass.

Cool, I think I'm going to try a SM3 for my road kit. I like both my current portable amps (Total Airhead and Porta Corda III), but I'd like the bass boost.

Next question: when I order this, do I have to specify what op-amps I want??? Not clear to me from his website...Thanks!

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #38 of 157
I realize this is a difficult question to answer, but give it your best shot. Based on the previous models of the SuperMacro and the Ray Samuels SR-71...which would you choose?

I am actually debating between the new SuperMacro and the new RAS Hornet, but people are saying that the Hornet is close to the SR-71. Therefore, I will use it as a base versus the SuperMacro.

They are both $350.

The Hornet will be tiny, but the SuperMacro has the versatility of the switches.

Since I don't understand about the different OPAMPS, etc, I thought I would ask you guys and gals that know the difference.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #39 of 157
Oct 10, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #40 of 157
OOH! Very helpful! That should be a sticky on every Audiophile thread. THANKS!

So, with all of this adjustability, would you say that the SuperMacro is going to be better than the Hornet? Of course, still basing it on the SR-71 since many have not heard the Hornet yet.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #41 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oeryk
OOH! Very helpful! That should be a sticky on every Audiophile thread. THANKS!

So, with all of this adjustability, would you say that the SuperMacro is going to be better than the Hornet? Of course, still basing it on the SR-71 since many have not heard the Hornet yet.

I remember reading a review comparing the sr71 and sm3 before I bought mine(sm3) (I think by jamoto8) and as I remember he found that the sm3 compared very favorably to the sr71 in terms of sq but was smaller, cheaper and had many more features. What was different was the presentation of the 2 amps with the sr71 being more laid back and the sm3 being more forward. I don't know whether hornet will have the same sound signature as the sr71, and now size seems to favor the hornet, unless you look at the mini which still has all the feature and probably similar sq. As for adjustability, I am not a diy person at all and was scared when I rolled my first opamp-once you get into it though it is really quite easy and lots of fun. It feels like you get a new amp every time, and the differences between the various opamps and different types of biasing can be quite dramatic. Apart from the fun you really get the chance to customize the sound of the amp to your preferences and equipment-so yes, I think this is a very big advantage for Xins amps. Also if you win the lottery you can configure 2 sm3's into a pre-power combo, or get 4 in a dual mono design.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
As for adjustability, I am not a diy person at all and was scared when I rolled my first opamp-once you get into it though it is really quite easy and lots of fun. It feels like you get a new amp every time, and the differences between the various opamps and different types of biasing can be quite dramatic.

Yep, I can second that. I was pretty reluctant to fiddle around with it, but it is truely worth it. Xin was even kind enough to add another pair of OpAmps to my order for free, kind of a present. With the new V6 it should be even easier to play with it, because you no longer have to be carefull not to break the wires connecting the two boards, you can now "remove the ribbon cables and open up fully the two boards" [quote from Xin's page]. This has been my only concern (besides broken legs of the OpAmps) when rolling the OpAmps.
Its versatility is one reason why I favoured the SM with regard to the SR-71. There are numerous OpAmps one can try and enjoy all their different abilities. With the new V6 there should be even more options.
Another reason were the 4 switches. With my Etys the impedance switch made any P->S conversion cable useless. The bass boost now makes my UE10s more fun when listening to electronica - it's reaaally great.
I don't remember the specs of my V3, but I believe the V6 has a longer battery life.

Nevertheless you should take the two different sound signatures into account, too. As far as I know there's no OpAmp that'll make your SM3 sound like the SR-71, so you won't get both when buying the SM3.
It's basically a decision which kind of sound reproduction you prefer, just the same game when deciding on cans. Though I've only heard the SM3 yet, if one may believe the reviews of the SR-71, you can't go wrong with either one.

Ciao,
Marcus

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 157
How would the Supermini compare to a portable Pimeta, SQ-wise? I plan to use it with low-imp phones like the ER-6i, ER-4P, and SR-60.

Having the ER-4P in the bunch should make the Mini a clear favourite, since it has the impedance switch built in but if the Pimeta sounds better, I wouldn't mind springing for a converter cable at a later stage. Not concerned about Xinfeed or gain boost.

Currently using the PA2.v2, enjoy it very much, especially the added dynamics and low frequency boost. Would either the Pimeta or the Supermini be a significant step up from it?

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #44 of 157
DANG!!! I'm Digging that Supermini!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I need to save up more, I'm $40 away from buying it and a Sik Ram Din.

I really want to check out impressions with an E4 and Supermini, just to see if it's really worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back