New Xin Amps available
Oct 9, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 157
That helped for the Crossfeed, thanks, but not on the bass boost. Any comments there?

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
Go to
http://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm

I just ordered the Supermacro upgrade-I see it's now V 6- and also the supermicro which looks really cute. Had to restrain myself on the supermini, specially with the great introductory price.

I just went over there and saw the introductory offer on the mini and Xin now has an extra order. That amp is so versatile considering its size and ability to take 12v DC.

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Can someone comment on the efficacy of the crossfeed and bass boost on this amp (or prior versions if they had them)? TIA.

The bassboost is very well implemented. Just enough to make a noticeable difference without making the bass boomy and loose. I am not a fan of crossfeed although many people like it and use it all the time. To my ears it cuts off some highs and reduces the dynamic range of those that remain. From what I've read in regard to the headroom amps with crossfeed it's also a situation where some people like it and others don't.
It's a very personal thing and I think the reason Xin ended up using the different style cases for the mini and micro was so that he could have more space for the crossfeed switch which wasn't in the original design but was much requested.

Oct 9, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #19 of 157
For $199 upgrade fee from v.3 to v.5, I think I'll sit this one out. For those needing to be on the cutting edge, I'm sure that price is fine, but I seriously doubt the v.5 will sound appreciably better than v.3 IF all the opamp/buffer configurations are the same.

Oct 9, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 157
Well, I'd say: let's wait until someone actually has listened to the new one....
It's like frequency charts of headphones - it's nice to have them, you'll get an idea how they might sound but listening to them after all is a completely different story.
Nevertheless, I won't upgrade (blindly) either, $199 is still quite a bit of money.
On Xin's page it says 2-3 weeks, so we need to be patient, unless someone already listened to it on a headfi meet or something.

BTW Jon L, it's very difficult to read your posts
biggrin.gif
. I would suggest a different avatar, otherwise you are at risk that your readers aren't able to concentrate on your written text
wink.gif

Ciao,
Marcus

Oct 9, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #21 of 157
Quote:

The bassboost is very well implemented. Just enough to make a noticeable difference without making the bass boomy and loose. I am not a fan of crossfeed although many people like it and use it all the time. To my ears it cuts off some highs and reduces the dynamic range of those that remain. From what I've read in regard to the headroom amps with crossfeed it's also a situation where some people like it and others don't.
It's a very personal thing and I think the reason Xin ended up using the different style cases for the mini and micro was so that he could have more space for the crossfeed switch which wasn't in the original design but was much requested.

Thanks! I could use a bass boost with my portable rig, and I do like crossfeed, this is the first amp I have seen that has both. I don;t need it in my home rig, but both the E3C and the PXC-250 can use a bass boost, and the iPod's EQ is useless.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 157
This is the thread to ask this.

My Cardas cable has a plug made to reduce crosstalk. The SM3 has a crossfeed setting.

Now both terms meanings are quite similar, one that crossfeed is the purposeful addition of sound across channels and crosstalk is unwanted leakage of sound from one channel to the other.
Now obvious question; will the plug cancel out the SM3s crossfeed?

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
This is the thread to ask this.

My Cardas cable has a plug made to reduce crosstalk. The SM3 has a crossfeed setting.

Now both terms meanings are quite similar, one that crossfeed is the purposeful addition of sound across channels and crosstalk is unwanted leakage of sound from one channel to the other.
Now obvious question; will the plug cancel out the SM3s crossfeed?

No, how? The crossfeed works via a circuit, signal goes in unblended, comes out blended, proceeds to ampstage (ok, I just assume it is amped *afterwards*), proceeds to output jack. It does stay a 2-channel signal all the time though, you just get a different signal at the output jack than what you fed in. Think of it like an eq.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 157
Oh, okay. Didn't know it was a seperate circuit, but I thought the plug might iron out the intentional crossfeed thats been added.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #26 of 157
Anyone know how the previous SuperMacro stacks up with an AE-1? I probably would've gotten v.5 but it wasn't out yet so I ended up getting an AE-1. I'm by no means disappointed but I did order the Xinfeed adapter to try some crossfeed with it.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #27 of 157
Quote:

I reckon the V6 is a typo-Xin must have been working through the night to change his site.

This is from Xin's site:

In the last few weeks, I designed 20 PCB layouts for V5 (a-u), now I'm running out letters for V5. Therefore, I have to name it V6.

The other reason is: V6 for cars mean 6 cylinders. There are exactly 6 sockets in V5(6), 2 dual, 4 single, making up a powerful 6 cylinder audio engine!

Am I thinking about V8? Yes, you bet. One idea is stacked buffers and OPAMPs (total 8). You already know about double buffers; parallel OPAMPs give lower noise.

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #28 of 157
I think the SM3-V6 is a bargain at $349, but I'm a bit reluctant to swap my four month old SM3 for a credit of only $150. I'm absolutely delighted with the SM3 and can't imagine that the new model will sound all that much better. If it does, I think--at least at the moment--that I'll just hang on to the SM3 and add the SM3-V6 to my amp arsenal.

Meanwhile, despite having two earlier versions, the new SuperMini looks pretty enticing.
icon10.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 157
Hey guys I'm having problems deciding between the supermicro and supermini for my e5c.
Does anyone know for sure which will sound better in the end? I love the look of the micro although the extra features of the mini might be useful later on...
Can someone suggest which one I should get...
Oh and I also have a HD-497 so it'll b nice if it sounds great on both.
icon10.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #30 of 157
Holy crap the SuperMini-3 looks like the ultimate dream portable amp!

I want to order one of these bad boys for my AKG K271S. Can anyone here recommend how I should ask my SM-3 to be configured? And which opamp I should go for? What's a good opamp for the K271S if I want clarity and no additional emphasis on the mids? The AD8620? AD8066? Some other one I don't know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back