New wheels
Sep 7, 2002 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
My Maxima has served me well, but it's time to start looking at a new car. I have decided to look exclusively at smallish SUV's. My short list includes:
  1. Honda Pilot
  2. Toyota Highlander
  3. Isuzu Rodeo
  4. Mitsubishi Montero Sport
  5. Mazda Tribute
  6. Isuzu Axiom
I am only considering 6 cylinders and 4WD (all of the above come in 4 cylinders and 2WD). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 40
Why not look at Jeeps if you're going the small SUV route? My mom drives a new Grand Cherokee, and it's a fun vehicle. Took it through some nice eight-feet wide, eroded dirt mountain passes in Colorado this summer. Fun, fun.

But really, you can almost get the 2002 V8 Grand Cherokee for the same price as some of the ones on your list. But if you're set on one of those options, I'd go with the Rodeo or Montero Sport.

(Of course, I wouldn't buy any SUV if it were my money. ...)

kerelybonto

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 40
JMT

Monteros are dangerous. Look at Consumer Reports.

Jeeps are OK but you should look to SUVs with coil spring rear suspensions instead "Multi-Leaf". Coil springs are much more comfortable, safe and go much better off-road.

What are you planing to do with a SUV? Do you plan to go "hard"? I'm a "off-roader" and can help. Let me know a bit more what are your plans, OK?

Best from

Ari

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 40
Hi JMT,

I don't have experience with any other vechicle you listed there except the Toyota Highlander which I've been driving for littler more than 4 months.

It really depends on what you're after but this car is more like a jacked up sedan rather than a true jeep. If off-road is what you're after, than this is probably not the car for you.

The back seats are quite spacious. I've once stuffed 4 passengers in the back (2 petite size ladies, 2 grande size men), and it's still managable. The trunk is capable of fitting 4 full size luguage. In terms of fuel efficiency, I can an average of get 550km (we use metric on this side of the border
wink.gif
) on a full tank. I've never tried it in extreme conditions, so I can't tell you how the 4WD performs. What I don't like about this car is the position of the vents in the driver seat, it's not quite located at the middle panel but below the steering wheel instead. So you got A/C blowing at your hands when you're steaming.

hmmm, what did I missed...
lemme know if there's something specific you want to know about.

Sep 7, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 40
JMT

I know 4RUNNERs are VERY GOOD on and off-road.

I like very much the Land Rover Discovery. I drive one for about 11 years now and I feel it will last for ever... And nothing stops it...

fd4d3cf5.jpg

And if you want serious traking....

Look mom, no hands... That's my first trail, 11 years ago...

fd4fb43a.jpg

Best

Ari

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 40
JMT: unfortunately no one can really make a good recommendation until you tell us what you're going to do with it
biggrin.gif

Seriously, do you want a small SUV because you want to go off-road a lot but you don't want a huge SUV? Or do you want a small SUV because you want something that's roomier than a car, sits higher for good visibility, and handles well in rain and (mountain) snow? Or are you just trying to look studly?
smily_headphones1.gif

Some of the SUVs are built on car platforms, some on small truck platforms. They do different things better or worse.

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 40
Another model to add to the mix and to consider is the Chevrolet Trailblazer. An inline 6 with 275 HP and 275 pounds o' torque and a five-link rear suspension.

http://chevrolet.com/trailblazer/index.html

4Runners are also very good and have excellent resale value. A Toyota mechanic friend of mine says that Toyota has designed and dialed in the powertrain so well over the years that they rarely have to work on them unlike the old days. They just service them and replace the exterior components like starters and alternators. Says they last forever. Happy hunting JMT.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 40
JMT
Are you planning to move to Dallas or what?

SUVs... bleh.

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 40
Sorry for being a newbie.
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Seriously, do you want a small SUV because you want to go off-road a lot but you don't want a huge SUV? Or do you want a small SUV because you want something that's roomier than a car, sits higher for good visibility, and handles well in rain and (mountain) snow? Or are you just trying to look studly?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, since the only off-roading that I will be doing will be driving in an unpaved parking lot, I mainly want something roomier than my Max, is dependable (I do a lot of driving), is stable on wet pavement....and makes me look very studly.

I like the 4Runners but at +/-$30K, they are a tad expensive. Same with the Land Rovers. I was hoping to keep it nearer $25K or so. The Xterra should be on the list, and the I like the 275hp/275lbs torque of the Chevy. But, I have had bad experiences with GM cars in the past and am kind of reluctant to relive them.

My next questions is, " What headphone should I buy?"
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 40
way to be a trendsetter.. get an suv!
rolleyes.gif

at least you're not a woman, that's all america needs: yet ANOTHER soccer mom behind the wheel of an suv. i swear i almost get killed at least once a week from them.

i second the vote for the nissan xterra, it's quite a nice machine (never would've thought so till i was in one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back