New wheels
Sep 8, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
when they start making SUVs that do 5 seconds in the zero to sixty I will consider buying one.

You missed out.
The 92 GMC Typhoon could do 0-60 in 5 sec.
It outran the current Vette at the time.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #34 of 40
bootman, that thing's amazing -- I wonder, did they break down after a few years or are they still running well 10 years later?

orl2222, spoken like a true GM employee
biggrin.gif
I understand you like GM vehicles, but have you seen the reviews of the Envoy? To say that it handles better, or even handles as well as, a Pilot or most of the other mid-size SUVs, is a bold statement
wink.gif

Anyways, I stand by what I said about "car" vs. "truck" frames -- they each have their advantages, and the buyer should just know what they're getting into.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 40
You guys are very cool, I don't care what they say about you!

I went out looking and took a couple of test drives today. After recovering from "sticker shock," my budget has, by necessity increased. However, I made the mistake of test driving a 2003 Maxima SE. Holy crap
eek.gif
, I thought my 97 Max was sweet. That had to be put on the list. I also drove the Highlander, nice ride, drives like a Camry, expensive as all get out (the one that I drove was the Limited with all of the bells and whistles). I am going to take your advice and take a look at some Subarus and Jeeps tomorrow.

Now I just have decide which kid I am going to sell.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #36 of 40
We just got an Explorer to replace an Explorer Sport (2 door). The wife needed 4 doors and a third row seat. The new Explorers are much better than the old ones. I wish we had gotten an Escape, they look cooler. I looked at the Dodge, it was too low tech and limitied options. The Jeep Liberty seems popular around here, and they are very studly. The Audi all wheel drive wagon is very nice, but expensive.
Sell two kids and get the BMW.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 40
JMT... as a personal favor to me since I've been heavily researching wagons for two years and will eventually wind up with either a Subaru or a VW...

PLEASE find it in your audiophile heart to test drive a Volkswagen Passat wagon with the 4-cylinder turbocharger.

Affordable ($23K), comfortable, safe, great cargo space, attractive, awesomely entertaining suspension (Audi), fantastic mileage, 170hp, hauls five adults comfortably, #1 rated by CR and Edmunds, and has gobs of low end torque.

Plus, the interior is killer. Women will oooh and aaah. Isn't this what matters most?
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #40 of 40
The VW Passat wagon (with 6 cyl and AWD for my purposes) has always been on my short list of really interesting wagons, but the Subaru Outback, with 2 inches more ground clearance for the Woods and winter got the nod. I've already owned 2 turbo motors and the standard features of the Outback VDC stomps everything else I looked at.

Subaru Outback VDC wagon H6-3.0l comps: 212 hp, 210 ft lbs, 68.6 cubic feet cargo, all wheel drive, 4 speed electronic auto transmission with anti-slip side-to-side and front-to-back, outstanding independent suspension on all 4 corners with gas shocks and disc brakes, aforementioned McIntosh stereo and leather, $34K list went out door for $27.6K.

Mr. PD: I know it's preaching to the choir, but here's another one: Studly in traffic is goal oriented, and that goal is getting somewhere specific to do something worthwhile. Studly in traffic is not competitive or emotionally demonstrative or aggressive. Leave that to the short-dicked fellows with low self-esteem. Studly in traffic is skillful, courteous/respectful, decisive, and smooth. In traffic, you can always practice extending your event horizon and anticipating moronic manuvers. You can also practice controlling your emotions, seeing clearly, and making tactical decisions that support strategic goals. In traffic, there's no way your reaction speeds aren't going to be tested, but will you react in the best way possible? You will with practice. Drive hard and develop your skills (and nerves) on closed courses, or, if you must, practice no more than 7/10ths or 8/10ths when conditions are perfect and you have the road completely to yourself (as if you ever do . . . ) Does this sound like COMBAT TRAINING? It should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back