New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jul 9, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #976 of 1,383
I got the W30s in today. First thing, the packaging is awesome. Makes it really feel like a premium product compared to what I had with the TripleFi 10. 

The fit is amazing. Not once did I have to adjust the ear piece or have it fall out. It never irritated me at all.

The sound is awesome. There is a lot more bass compared to the TF10. The highs aren't has crisp but I'm pretty sure that's just me having to get used to them. 

The only concern I have is that I keep wondering if I should have spent the extra $70 and tax on the W40? Is that 4th driver a huge difference? What do you guys think

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #977 of 1,383
  The only concern I have is that I keep wondering if I should have spent the extra $70 and tax on the W40? Is that 4th driver a huge difference? What do you guys think

LOL, and I wonder if I should have got the W30s instead of W40s... 
L3000.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #979 of 1,383

Had them both for a long time.  At any price difference, I prefer the W30.

It's very hard to explain but it seems with W30 Westone has 3 perfect drivers working together very harmoniously.  Maybe not THE best drivers like you would find in Pro50 or W60 but they are very adequate and certainly an upscale audiophile sound.  Very balanced....equal bass mid and treble and a pleasantly large soundstage, perhaps a tad larger soundstage than the Pro50 that I have been married to the past 5 months. 
W40 is very good and I gave it great reviews having more bass than W4 but in retrospect, I am not sure that was the best thing for a W4 upgrade.  Again, its a very nice sounding IEM but I think the added lowed mid bass doesn't make it better than W4, just different.  It shrinks the soundstage but you DO hear a very extended treble driver to give the upper registers some shimmer.  I just don't think it sounds as cohesive and balanced as W30 and I honestly think W30 is brighter sounding than W40, no question.

Twister6....Agreed?  Can you add anything?

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #980 of 1,383
W40 is dark and sounds veiled compared to Dunu Titan 1, for eg, which costs 5x less. Titan 1 is a better choice in terms of transparency, clarity and treble, IMO. With a simple bass mod, it's bassier than W40. If you really want Westone, I would go W30 or UM PRO 50. W30 seems to be brighter and more open sounding than W40. UM PRO 50 seems to be the obvious upgrade in pretty much every aspect (bass, separation, detail, etc).

But nowadays, with so much offer and after owning W40, I think Westone IEMs are too pricy for what they offer in terms of sound quality. Maybe W30 and UM PRO 50 fit better in the actual market offer.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #981 of 1,383
Have both the W40 and the Dunu, like them both, haven't compared but didn't get the sense the Titan was better. Now I'm curios...At the beach. Try to compare when I get home.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #983 of 1,383
  Better is always subjective. Different. But Titan trumps W40 in various aspects for my personal preference.

If anything, they compliment rather than compete with each other :wink:

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #985 of 1,383

If anything, they compliment rather than compete with each other :wink:

Yes, you can put it that way. Anyways, Titan 1 made me sell the W40's : )

Now looking at $UM$ $PRO$ $50$. That's a different animal. But something tells me that when the FX850 arrives, I will retire from head-fi for quite some time.

Never tried woodies, but heard FX750 is a better value, not as much bass in your face, and a smaller and more ergonomic in comparison to FX850.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #987 of 1,383

Never tried woodies, but heard FX750 is a better value, not as much bass in your face, and a smaller and more ergonomic in comparison to FX850.

It's a shame you haven't.

The "shame" is that JVC-Kenwood doesn't have US rep to get review samples from :wink:  That part of headphone division is in Japan.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #989 of 1,383
I have the 850, unfortunately (for my wallet) it has NOT stopped my Head fi involvement, or my headphone shopping.
Actually find them a bit TOO rich sounding, hyper-real, a bit like tube gear that's too full of that tube sound, or maybe like a dense, flourless chocolate cake. This is just a matter of taste of course, this is just the ticket for many. But, again, there are other takes on this...

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #990 of 1,383
I have the 850, unfortunately (for my wallet) it has NOT stopped my Head fi involvement, or my headphone shopping.
Actually find them a bit TOO rich sounding, hyper-real, a bit like tube gear that's too full of that tube sound, or maybe like a dense, flourless chocolate cake. This is just a matter of taste of course, this is just the ticket for many. But, again, there are other takes on this...

Sounds like my coup of tea ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back