New WESTONE W-SERIES
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #902 of 1,383
I see, I wasn't quite sure what Spyro was referring to.
tongue.gif

He was a bit out of control
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #904 of 1,383

UM PRO 50 coming soon!
wink.gif

Love mine.   I think the most comfy ergonomics (including cable) of any IEM on the market at any price.  Love the big full sound and warm but highly detailed presentation.  Just be willing to use a little treble EQ to sharpen things up.

I finally planning to pull a trigger on UM56 custom molds for it :)  Have appointment setup with audiologist to take impressions!!!

May 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #906 of 1,383
Some questions:

• How much better is W20 than W10? Will I hear much difference on an iPhone 5s?
  • Is W10 good for hard rock and alternative music?
  • Suitable for running? any noise, cable falling off etc?

Thanks!

May 30, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #907 of 1,383
  Some questions:

• How much better is W20 than W10? Will I hear much difference on an iPhone 5s?
  • Is W10 good for hard rock and alternative music?
  • Suitable for running? any noise, cable falling off etc?

Thanks!

Westone makes very good cables - flexible, no microphonics, visually pleasing. My opinion is based on old W3, could anybody please confirm it is the case in the new headphones, too.

I am also interested in knowing about the differences between W10 and W20 as well as to know what model from the new Westones series (from W10-W60) do you consider the best value?

May 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #908 of 1,383
If anyone is after a set of westone 4r's then there's a set of box opened but otherwise fine from iheadphones.co.uk at £300 (so that's what, 459 dollars give or take).  No idea if that's any use to anyone or not.  They've been on the site for ages now to the point where I'm wondering if the site has not been updated :)  Been tempted a few times but for some reason just not hit buy.

May 30, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #909 of 1,383

Westone makes very good cables - flexible, no microphonics, visually pleasing. My opinion is based on old W3, could anybody please confirm it is the case in the new headphones, too.

I am also interested in knowing about the differences between W10 and W20 as well as to know what model from the new Westones series (from W10-W60) do you consider the best value?

Hard to say about the value considering W10-W60 all have a different sound signature, so a better value might not have a better sound for you :)  I have W40 which I consider to be good, but it's more relaxed, smooth.  Heard great stuff about W30 (probably close to my ATH-IM03), and typically 3-driver design is a good value (either all 3 BA drivers or a hybrid design with 1 Dynamic and 2x BA).  Can't comment about W10 or W20, but also read W50 is NOT good.  Getting W60 next week for review, but we are talking about $1k IEM with 6-drivers, pure diminishing returns...

May 31, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #910 of 1,383
  If anyone is after a set of westone 4r's then there's a set of box opened but otherwise fine from iheadphones.co.uk at £300 (so that's what, 459 dollars give or take).  No idea if that's any use to anyone or not.  They've been on the site for ages now to the point where I'm wondering if the site has not been updated :)  Been tempted a few times but for some reason just not hit buy.

I've owned the W4R a couple times. I definitely regret selling them! I wish the bass of the W40 had stayed at the level. Shame. 

May 31, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #911 of 1,383

Hard to say about the value considering W10-W60 all have a different sound signature, so a better value might not have a better sound for you :)  I have W40 which I consider to be good, but it's more relaxed, smooth.  Heard great stuff about W30 (probably close to my ATH-IM03), and typically 3-driver design is a good value (either all 3 BA drivers or a hybrid design with 1 Dynamic and 2x BA).  Can't comment about W10 or W20, but also read W50 is NOT good.  Getting W60 next week for review, but we are talking about $1k IEM with 6-drivers, pure diminishing returns...

That was helpful information - thank you!

I was not aware they have different sound signatures in a bigger extent. The number of new models makes things a bit confusing. I don't quite understand why sooo maaany models!? Whatever!

I like my current Westone 3 a lot. I had two pairs of them - one with broken cable at the moment (however it's after many years of use) and the other one - my main and only earphone. Recently I've got spoilt by fulls-sized friend (LCD-2.2) and now I sometimes miss more resolution and detail in W3. I am considering an upgrade for something as musical and fun as Westone 3 but with better overall sound quality - it could be a little more flat, but I would love to keep the fun and musicality.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate the opinions of old W3 users the most as they probably have similar sound preference to me. But not only! I would be happy to stay in Westone family (I trust and like their produtcts) however I am open to other brands, too. I wonder which model of the new Westones would make a worthy upgrade for me? I would welcome suggestions of other brands, too. 

May 31, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #912 of 1,383
Check out SonicElectronix...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?category_id=355&manufacturer_id=722&items_per_page=100&page=1&sort_order=price_asc

You can get significant discounts with the "make an offer' button. I paid $365 for W40s a few months back vs. $500. They have a lot of other value-added deals since Westone (in all likelihood) does not allow advertising discounted prices.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #914 of 1,383
That was helpful information - thank you!

I was not aware they have different sound signatures in a bigger extent. The number of new models makes things a bit confusing. I don't quite understand why sooo maaany models!? Whatever!

I like my current Westone 3 a lot. I had two pairs of them - one with broken cable at the moment (however it's after many years of use) and the other one - my main and only earphone. Recently I've got spoilt by fulls-sized friend (LCD-2.2) and now I sometimes miss more resolution and detail in W3. I am considering an upgrade for something as musical and fun as Westone 3 but with better overall sound quality - it could be a little more flat, but I would love to keep the fun and musicality.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate the opinions of old W3 users the most as they probably have similar sound preference to me. But not only! I would be happy to stay in Westone family (I trust and like their produtcts) however I am open to other brands, too. I wonder which model of the new Westones would make a worthy upgrade for me? I would welcome suggestions of other brands, too. 

Don't tell anyone, but if you still have a warranty try to send them back in claiming there might be a problem and they will send you a brand new w30 set. Mine actually had a problem, but they did that for me. Westone is a very friendly company. IMO the westone w30 is superior to the w3 in that it keeps a similar sound, but it lessens the mid bass hump a bit which takes away that clogged up mid range. The w3 sounded a bit muffled to me, but the w30 just opens it all up. Also the w30 seems to have a cleaner impact in the bass. It seems to be a bit tighter and the decay is a little more natural sounding because of that. Also, a great improvement was put into the treble in that it still has a nice hit when you listen to high hats, but it takes away most of the harsh sibilance that I found with the w3. It is still definitely more towards the fun side like the w3, but the w30 is a bit more lean and clean sounding. If you can't get a pair through warranty, definitely look at them as an upgrade.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #915 of 1,383
Don't tell anyone, but if you still have a warranty try to send them back in claiming there might be a problem and they will send you a brand new w30 set. Mine actually had a problem, but they did that for me. Westone is a very friendly company. IMO the westone w30 is superior to the w3 in that it keeps a similar sound, but it lessens the mid bass hump a bit which takes away that clogged up mid range. The w3 sounded a bit muffled to me, but the w30 just opens it all up. Also the w30 seems to have a cleaner impact in the bass. It seems to be a bit tighter and the decay is a little more natural sounding because of that. Also, a great improvement was put into the treble in that it still has a nice hit when you listen to high hats, but it takes away most of the harsh sibilance that I found with the w3. It is still definitely more towards the fun side like the w3, but the w30 is a bit more lean and clean sounding. If you can't get a pair through warranty, definitely look at them as an upgrade.

Thank you for the very helpful answer, especially for the comparison between W30 and W3. I think my Westone is no longer under warranty, however thanks to your description of sound of W30 I think it would be to my liking. But will it be a sufficient upgrade from my W3 or I should look for something even better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back