New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jan 26, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #676 of 1,383
There is a serial number on the exterior of the sound bore.

That serial number should corresponds with the sticker on the product packaging.

God, I hope there isn't one of those on my Pro50's, because then I'd have to try to find the damned numbers on that TINY nozzle - tell me it isn't so!

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #677 of 1,383

God, I hope there isn't one of those on my Pro50's, because then I'd have to try to find the damned numbers on that TINY nozzle - tell me it isn't so!

It should be there, go have a look with a bright light source. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #678 of 1,383
  It should be there, go have a look with a bright light source. 
tongue_smile.gif

I can find a light source.... but what about my EYES! 
eek.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #681 of 1,383
If i recall, under the removable faceplates should be a marking with the model number, which will be easier to identify without a box. At least i'm pretty sure mine has W40 under it somewhere... i won't be able to check properly till i get home and take off the plate though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #682 of 1,383

My dealer said send them back after seeing this picture. If you see picture full size, do you think that irregular crack is correct part of manufacture?

Oh my the interchangeable red and blue faceplate just looks so cheap and nasty. My um3x rc ltd blue looks so much nicer and without the aesthetics flaws near the connector. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #686 of 1,383
  Oh my the interchangeable red and blue faceplate just looks so cheap and nasty. My um3x rc ltd blue looks so much nicer and without the aesthetics flaws near the connector. 

That is part of the design.  It is intentionally offset like that.  There is a thread here about that already. 

I agree I liked the heavier plastic resin used in the previous series but until you have proof or stats showing a drop in quality from Westone....it's all conjecture.  Their quality has always been among the best ever.  Certainly better track record than Shure if you are keeping track.

As long as there is a 2 year warranty, that's the main thing.  Other than my JH5 custom, I have never kept an IEM past 2 years.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #687 of 1,383
I recently just got my hands on a pair of W30s. They are actually quite well put together. The pictures honestly do not do this IEM justice. The interchangeable face plates are very flush and blend in nice with the overall look of the earphone. While most of the plastic used for the earphone has a dull look to it, the faceplate adds a nice glossy touch to the IEM which looks pretty nice in person. The W30s are light weight and well built. I can't imagine anyone being afraid about the durability of this earphone when it's supposed to sit on your ears instead of being exposed to potentially forces that could damage it. I have left these earphones sitting in my pocket while out and about with no issues. It may feel cheap because of it's light weight but I think that is just a testament to Westone's design. To give the potential buyer peace of mind, I have changed the cables on these earphones numerous times and it has not done any damage to the earphones. Removing and putting the connectors back is very easy and takes little to no force. Like others have noted in this thread, there is a slit or opening where the connector is located. As others before have also noted, is that this is Westone's design decision. You might like it, you might not, or you might not care at all. For me, I don't care. The earphone functions as it's supposed to.

As for the sound of these earphones, well that's a different story for a different time. I will need more time with these earphones to really know what I want to say about its sound. I was a long time fan and owner of the UE Triple.fi 10. Unfortunately, I somehow misplaced them and can no longer find them anywhere! So I did some research and decided to check out the W30s. Will let you guys know more of what I think later :p

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #688 of 1,383
  I recently just got my hands on a pair of W30s. They are actually quite well put together. The pictures honestly do not do this IEM justice. The interchangeable face plates are very flush and blend in nice with the overall look of the earphone. While most of the plastic used for the earphone has a dull look to it, the faceplate adds a nice glossy touch to the IEM which looks pretty nice in person. The W30s are light weight and well built. I can't imagine anyone being afraid about the durability of this earphone when it's supposed to sit on your ears instead of being exposed to potentially forces that could damage it. I have left these earphones sitting in my pocket while out and about with no issues. It may feel cheap because of it's light weight but I think that is just a testament to Westone's design. To give the potential buyer peace of mind, I have changed the cables on these earphones numerous times and it has not done any damage to the earphones. Removing and putting the connectors back is very easy and takes little to no force. Like others have noted in this thread, there is a slit or opening where the connector is located. As others before have also noted, is that this is Westone's design decision. You might like it, you might not, or you might not care at all. For me, I don't care. The earphone functions as it's supposed to.

As for the sound of these earphones, well that's a different story for a different time. I will need more time with these earphones to really know what I want to say about its sound. I was a long time fan and owner of the UE Triple.fi 10. Unfortunately, I somehow misplaced them and can no longer find them anywhere! So I did some research and decided to check out the W30s. Will let you guys know more of what I think later :p

Misplacing such expensive iem and not being able to find it is beyond me 
confused_face.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #689 of 1,383

That is part of the design.  It is intentionally offset like that.  There is a thread here about that already. 

Maybe but it's still not aesthetically pleasing to look at. 

Certainly better track record than Shure if you are keeping track.

Both the new Westone and shure se series use the same mmcx connector so durability is questionable. 

As long as there is a 2 year warranty, that's the main thing.  Other than my JH5 custom, I have never kept an IEM past 2 years.

Many people including myself kept expensive iem for more than 2 years so 2 years warranty is not nearly enough for the majority of buyers. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #690 of 1,383

I agree I liked the heavier plastic resin used in the previous series but until you have proof or stats showing a drop in quality from Westone....it's all conjecture.  Their quality has always been among the best ever.  Certainly better track record than Shure if you are keeping track.

The picture is suppose to show the slight opening on the right ear piece, so it's bad design/materials/manufacture.

Track record is stupid, it's like saying you failed an exam 3 years ago and you're labeled as stupid forever. What matters is Shure made a huge improvement with their flagship, and Westone went backwards. My W4r was jammed in the car door when I was closing it, and the only bent the nozzle, which later I bent back in place and still working fine. It's still the second most solidly built iem I own after the 846, also had it for about 3 years.

Bad design choices causes failure that may or may not be covered by warranty, even if it's covered it could means weeks of wait time for repairs/replacements, not to mention the cost of shipping and time required to get the process going. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back