New WESTONE W-SERIES
Aug 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #601 of 1,383
My current go to iem is my UE 18 pro, but after putting them through the wash in my pants pocket (worst day ever) and having the "repaired" units not sound anything like the original, I'm looking for a universal replacement. 

I've had the W40s for a week now. Vocal - centric music and pieces without too many layers can sound hauntingly realistic and intimate, but more complex and layered music can sound a bit congested and the bass a bit muddy. Does the W60 tackle these issues?

My musical tastes trend toward progressive rock/metal and I appreciate a kick drum i can feel in my chest, but as a violinist, loose and/or artificially boosted regions drive me crazy, if that makes any sense.  I don't know whether to look to a different brand, full-sized cans, or just up the line (or down to the w30). I need help.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #602 of 1,383
My current go to iem is my UE 18 pro, but after putting them through the wash in my pants pocket (worst day ever) and having the "repaired" units not sound anything like the original, I'm looking for a universal replacement. 

I've had the W40s for a week now. Vocal - centric music and pieces without too many layers can sound hauntingly realistic and intimate, but more complex and layered music can sound a bit congested and the bass a bit muddy. Does the W60 tackle these issues?

My musical tastes trend toward progressive rock/metal and I appreciate a kick drum i can feel in my chest, but as a violinist, loose and/or artificially boosted regions drive me crazy, if that makes any sense.  I don't know whether to look to a different brand, full-sized cans, or just up the line (or down to the w30). I need help.

I share the same impressions with you regarding the W40 SQ. When the track becomes layered with multiple sound sources, the bass tends to become muddy. I very much prefer the Hifiman RE-600 over the W40, much wider soundstage with lots of airiness. Bass isn't as prominent as W40, but its fast and well controlled. I am considering selling my W40 as their sound signature isn't quite to my liking. 

If you're willing to fork out that amount of $$$ for the W60, why wouldn't you go custom (again)? Unique Melody, JH, Noble Audio etc... 

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #603 of 1,383
W30 could also be a good choice.  Triple driver versus 4 but has more midrange clarity and "air."

I listen to a lot of contemporary jazz with an array of different instruments  (drums + percussion, horns, guitar, etc) and it seems to do it effortlessly.

I cannot tolerate any IEM that struggles to keep up with complex passages of music so I know what you are referring to.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #604 of 1,383
The w3 shell developed cracks around the nozzle area on the right monitor, I knew something was up when I suddenly experienced channel imbalance about 2 months ago...

Just shot Westone a RMA form, let's hope Westone's superb customer service comes into play again.

Meanwhile I've got to do without a IEM...
/firstworldproblems

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #605 of 1,383
The w3 shell developed cracks around the nozzle area on the right monitor, I knew something was up when I suddenly experienced channel imbalance about 2 months ago...

Just shot Westone a RMA form, let's hope Westone's superb customer service comes into play again.

Meanwhile I've got to do without a IEM...
/firstworldproblems

Been there. Got W30 as a replacement.

Housing feels better and so do the sound.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #607 of 1,383
Been there. Got W30 as a replacement.

Housing feels better and so do the sound.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened with me! Would you say the W30 is a huge improvement over the W3?

Housing feels better in hand. Ergonomics and sound have improved as well.

Fingers crossed.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #610 of 1,383
W3 was my favorite universal for many years since it came out.  Main complaint was a LARGE mid-bass hump and a recessed midrange due to the "fun" sounding v-shaped sound sig.  But I still loved it despite those faults.

W30 bass seems just as abundant to me but much more linear.  No boosts or spikes anywhere.  Treble is very very nice.  Very crisp and lots of "air".  Moreso than UM3X, Pro30, W40 or W60.  Midrange is more forward than W3.   W4, W40, W60 have the most insane vocals I have ever heard but W30 is very close.  I could say vocals were "weak" with W3 where I would say they are "strong" with W30 (and superb with the other three I mention).

In summary,  I would be absolutely shocked that anyone would prefer W3 over W30 as it was a great correction or improvement on an already solid IEM and the first ever to incorporate a 3-way crossover  But for the money, W30 is amazing IEM.  Just so many options out there........

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #611 of 1,383
W3 was my favorite universal for many years since it came out.  Main complaint was a LARGE mid-bass hump and a recessed midrange due to the "fun" sounding v-shaped sound sig.  But I still loved it despite those faults.

W30 bass seems just as abundant to me but much more linear.  No boosts or spikes anywhere.  Treble is very very nice.  Very crisp and lots of "air".  Moreso than UM3X, Pro30, W40 or W60.  Midrange is more forward than W3.   W4, W40, W60 have the most insane vocals I have ever heard but W30 is very close.  I could say vocals were "weak" with W3 where I would say they are "strong" with W30 (and superb with the other three I mention).

In summary,  I would be absolutely shocked that anyone would prefer W3 over W30 as it was a great correction or improvement on an already solid IEM and the first ever to incorporate a 3-way crossover  But for the money, W30 is amazing IEM.  Just so many options out there........

Your comparison between w30 and w3 matches mine. Identical impressions on the sound tweaking of the new W30.

I find odd that Westone have not spent a dime on the marketing of the new iem series.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #612 of 1,383
I really want to get these, but I'm wondering a new product cycle is going to come out any time soon?  I'm also genuinely confused between the W-series and the UM Pros, seeing that they are priced similarly.  So far, people have been saying that UM Pros are for onstage where was W is for personal listening.  But what exactly does that mean?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but how does this stack with the se215 and se315?  

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob 

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #613 of 1,383
  I really want to get these, but I'm wondering a new product cycle is going to come out any time soon?  I'm also genuinely confused between the W-series and the UM Pros, seeing that they are priced similarly.  So far, people have been saying that UM Pros are for onstage where was W is for personal listening.  But what exactly does that mean?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but how does this stack with the se215 and se315?  

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob 

What are you comparing against the SE215 and SE315?
Coming from a W3, the SE215's bass is muddy and the vocals are somewhat veiled.

W or UM Pro series, none of those matters, just give them a listen and decide for yourself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #614 of 1,383
  What are you comparing against the SE215 and SE315?
Coming from a W3, the SE215's bass is muddy and the vocals are somewhat veiled.

W or UM Pro series, none of those matters, just give them a listen and decide for yourself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello Machbot!

I'm attempting to compare the UM Pro 10s or W10s to the above two Shures.  My price range is around 200 +/- 50 USD.

The reason why I'm doing a bit of keyboard listening (the irony) is because where I live in Asia, there seem to be stunningly few actual headphone dedicated stores, and even fewer ones that will let you test the buds.  The one store that is a little liberal with the listening policy charges a hefty price for these earbuds (import/shipping/all that good stuff), and I don't exactly want to burn money or waste time without going in prepared.

-Plus, I'm a little bit OCD :)

I also hate muddy sound....ahahaha

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #615 of 1,383
Never had any experience with the W10 or UM Pro 10 since I'm not particularly interested in them so I'd refrain from comparing the IEMs.

Anyway where are you from? I'm pretty sure there are stores in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia that allow people to audition their products.

Do you by any chance have a Jaben store around in your country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back