New WESTONE W-SERIES
Apr 20, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #346 of 1,383
Has anyone had problems with their w40s? Just listened to mine for the first time and both ears seem to be cutting in and out. Mainly when I move my head.

I've changed to the cable minus the iPhone remote. I don't think I've done anything wrong here?? I'm used to the cable westone were using with the um3x. As far as I'm aware its all connected properly. Attached new cable, made click sound upon insertion. I'm able to rotate the cable, is this normal? One prong has one dot, and the other has 2 small dots, do these mean anything?

I feel like a noob
tongue.gif
haven't had a 'premium' set of iems for a little while now.

PS. Ive had a couple drinks today so apologies if this post doesn't make sense

Might need to give the mmx connectors a quick clean, it seems to be a common problem.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #348 of 1,383
Has anyone had problems with their w40s? Just listened to mine for the first time and both ears seem to be cutting in and out. Mainly when I move my head.

I've changed to the cable minus the iPhone remote. I don't think I've done anything wrong here?? I'm used to the cable westone were using with the um3x. As far as I'm aware its all connected properly. Attached new cable, made click sound upon insertion. I'm able to rotate the cable, is this normal? One prong has one dot, and the other has 2 small dots, do these mean anything?

I feel like a noob
tongue.gif
haven't had a 'premium' set of iems for a little while now.

PS. Ive had a couple drinks today so apologies if this post doesn't make sense

Did you try them before you swapped the cable? The connectors do rotate but mine don't cut in and out at all. Try to make sure the plug is all of the way on. They should snap straight on and off, not on an angle. If it happens with both cables you may have a bad pair.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #349 of 1,383
Na didn't try the other cable. Don't own any apple stuff so did a straight swap.

Its not so much of a straight cut out, more a faint fade away, where one ear can barely be heard. Still not right.

Its a struggle getting the cable off now. I definitely didn't force it putting the new one on. I mean, its a pretty straight forward task.

Do you know if those small dots on the non apple cable mean anything ??

Will try more things tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have a lemon.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #350 of 1,383
Are you sure you have your 3.5mm connector plugged all the way in into your phone or DAP?  I never had any issues with my W40, used both stock cables, and 4 different replacement cables.  Also, haven't heard of anybody else having issues with it.  On the other hand, if you go to UE900 forum section - that's the main topic of discussion with their MMX connection (headphone related, not the cable).

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #351 of 1,383
Na didn't try the other cable. Don't own any apple stuff so did a straight swap.

Its not so much of a straight cut out, more a faint fade away, where one ear can barely be heard. Still not right.

Its a struggle getting the cable off now. I definitely didn't force it putting the new one on. I mean, its a pretty straight forward task.

Do you know if those small dots on the non apple cable mean anything ??

Will try more things tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have a lemon.

Do swap the cable around (i.e. If the single dot is currently connected to the left side, swap it to the right. If the single dot is currently connected to the right side, swap it to the left).

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #353 of 1,383
q

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #356 of 1,383
Just looked at my W40s and they have the same crack!

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #357 of 1,383
Looks like a defective one, contact their support right away.  I had my W40 for a long time now, changed cables dozen of times, including using FiiO RC-SE1 with over-sized connector.  Knock on wood!!!

The only issue I had with a faceplate crack by the screw (maybe it was tightened too much?), and Westone took care of it within days with a replacement.  Contact them, provide a picture, a serial number, and receipt, and they should take care of it right away.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #360 of 1,383
I emailed earphone solution last night and got their reply a while ago...I will send it back for a replacement.

Oh dear, mine look exactly same as yours. I guess I better mail my dealer. Unfortunately about 70 miles away.

Is it likely superficial or could they crack open over time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back