New WESTONE W-SERIES
Feb 12, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,306 of 1,383
Was commuting to work a few days ago, all of a sudden the sound went real quiet & flat, lost all quality, turns out the epic cable died. Have changed over to the smart phone controls cable, while I wait for a replacement epic cable under warranty.

Am currently using Comply isolation tips & enjoy the sound. Any other suggestions for tips? I've developed a liking for foam tips, but am happy to experiment.

Why not their original westone foam tips? Could be just me, but after half an hour or so with Comply original tips, my ears get irritated, maybe from sweat. And I find original Comply tips to kill the treble.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,307 of 1,383
Wowza! $399 is killer. Is this for real? Or are they used?

I know, too good to be true, but a number of people who purchased it last year reported it was a real deal, brand new pairs.

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,308 of 1,383
^ this.

I've got a small pair still around since I got them in 2012 with an se215. Sold the se215 but still use the tips on my westones.
Any particular model of tip or are they all the same?

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #1,310 of 1,383
CP800 is the one to fit Westone nozzle? Is that a snug fit?
Yep, they fit perfectly and hold tight.

Wowza! $399 is killer. Is this for real? Or are they used?
Got my B50 from them, price was $319. Completely new, in a sealed package. And they ship internationally too.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #1,311 of 1,383
Why not their original westone foam tips? Could be just me, but after half an hour or so with Comply original tips, my ears get irritated, maybe from sweat. And I find original Comply tips to kill the treble.
I found the Westone true fits to be longer, I had struggles getting them into my ear.

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,312 of 1,383
Can anyone share some info for W40 v2 compared to some of the chifi offerings please? I wonder if price/performance ratio is different? I am thinking about W40, but the price seems quite high compared to similar chifi models. But ... on the other hand I value comfort and isolation very highly. Coming from shure SE215 (and looking for upgrade) I expect W40 to perform same in this regard. I don't care about design as far the iems are comfortable and isolate well - actually I prefer non glittery, utilitarian, boring looks.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,313 of 1,383
Can anyone share some info for W40 v2 compared to some of the chifi offerings please? I wonder if price/performance ratio is different? I am thinking about W40, but the price seems quite high compared to similar chifi models. But ... on the other hand I value comfort and isolation very highly.
Honestly, i think W40 sound worse than many Chi-fi offerings in the same price range. They are just too flat, boring and lifeless for me.
But comfort is unbeatable, and isolation is pretty good as well.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,314 of 1,383
Honestly, i think W40 sound worse than many Chi-fi offerings in the same price range. They are just too flat, boring and lifeless for me.

I haven't listened to many chi-fi iems, but I don't find the W4R, W30, and W40 to be boring. They are smoother sounding which I love with good detail and not an over emphasized bass tuning. They are balanced sounding. Also the fit and comfort I have been unable to achieve with any other IEM.

I will add that I listen mostly to indie rock, folk rock, and electronic music.

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,315 of 1,383
I haven't listened to many chi-fi iems, but I don't find the W4R, W30, and W40 to be boring. They are smoother sounding which I love with good detail and not an over emphasized bass tuning. They are balanced sounding. Also the fit and comfort I have been unable to achieve with any other IEM.
This. I have the W30... Yeah they are super smooth & detailed without much bass response, but you can EQ that in if needed.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,318 of 1,383
Hm, I can sacrifice a bit of isolation, but I sometimes fell asleep with shure SE215. Chifi iems seem a bit bigger than shure ... or westone (not sure I can sleep with them). Any comparison between SE215 and W40 v2 please - soundwise?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,319 of 1,383

I will add that I listen mostly to indie rock, folk rock, and electronic music.

I agree, it's all just a matter of personal sound preference. Many chi-fi iems are tuned to have higher resolution and less natural tonality in favor of exaggerated lower treble and scooped out lower mids (less body in the sound with more piercing peaks). The house tuning of Westone iems was always about laidback fuller body detailed tonality, to just kick back and relax listening to music instead of analyzing the details. Their most naturally revealing "audiophile" tuned IEM is still ES80, underrated because it only comes in CIEM design and many don't get a chance to hear it. But W-series and UM/AM Pro series are all about natural fuller body sound. And the comfort is bar none. I know I sound like a broken record, but W80 is the smallest and the most comfortable 8BA iem I have come across, and still one of the few iems I can fall asleep with my head on the pillow.

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #1,320 of 1,383
Hm, I can sacrifice a bit of isolation, but I sometimes fell asleep with shure SE215. Chifi iems seem a bit bigger than shure ... or westone (not sure I can sleep with them). Any comparison between SE215 and W40 v2 please - soundwise?

You mean the size of the housing? I think the W40 is slightly larger. In terms of sound quality the SE215 is not even close to the W40 in terms of tonality, balance, detail retrieval, soundstage, and on and on. The SE215 is fine for the price, but it's bass is rather tubby and bleeds into the recessed mids. Very comfortable and good for certain genres of music like Hip Hop and Rock, but it can't touch the W40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back