New WESTONE W-SERIES
Oct 26, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,246 of 1,383
I covered all v2 models of W-series in my review here. Regarding W40 v1 vs v2, here is a quote from my review, they are actually quite different:

"W40-2 vs W40-1 – The soundstage here, in both width and depth, are nearly identical. When it comes to tuning, I hear some noticeable differences. The original W40-1 bass has a very similar extension and quality, but the bass quantity in W40-2 is more elevated and sounds more analog; W40-1 bass is more neutral and a little faster/tighter, while W40-2 bass is more dynamic, deeper, with more impact. Mids, both lower and upper, are nearly identical in quality and quantity, being detailed and natural. But treble is different again, with both being crisp and sparkly, but W40-1 is brighter and harsher in comparison to W40-2 sounding more natural and less fatigue. I never really thought of the original W40-1 treble as being fatigue, but when you compare these two side-by-side, you can hear the difference."
Ooh! That sounds like an excellent upgrade... Did you spend any time with the bluetooth cable. Is it use able?

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,247 of 1,383
Ooh! That sounds like an excellent upgrade... Did you spend any time with the bluetooth cable. Is it use able?

Wireless cable is usable for sure, though I like their new SPC cable included with W40. But either way, it's a free bonus, and wireless adds the convenience :wink: When you get your W40s, share your impressions in the thread :D

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,248 of 1,383
Don't know how I missed it, but just came across K2 Korner - Kris + Karl Cartwright recent video on Westone YT channel, talking about history of Westone. As many probably aware, these twin brothers have been with Westone for over 40 years and behind most of their IEM releases. One thing to read about it, but another to hear it straight from the source.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,250 of 1,383
Does anyone know if the stalk on the W40 v2 earpiece is longer than the original W4? I found it a little shallow...

And regarding the bass, is the v2 bassier than v1? I've read @twister6 review but I'm not really clear.
I imagine it's similar but if you still have problems try the comply p series tips?

Sitting on the fence as the clock ticks down on cyber monday trying to decide if I want to order the b30 or w40v2.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,251 of 1,383
Does anyone know if the stalk on the W40 v2 earpiece is longer than the original W4? I found it a little shallow...

And regarding the bass, is the v2 bassier than v1? I've read @twister6 review but I'm not really clear.

Do you mean you found W40 v2 nozzle part to be shorter/shallow? I think it's pretty long, and in theory should be the size of the eartip core since it has to slide all the way in. So, they can't make it shallow, plus they use the same eartips. I have here W40 v2 vs v1, side by side. I don't have W4, but remember reading those were close in shape to original W40.

Here is W40 v2 (on the left) and W40 v1 (on the right)

westone_w40-v1_vs_v2-02.jpg westone_w40-v1_vs_v2-03.jpg

Here, I found on-line picture of the original W4

upload_2019-12-2_17-31-56.png

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,252 of 1,383
I imagine it's similar but if you still have problems try the comply p series tips?

Sitting on the fence as the clock ticks down on cyber monday trying to decide if I want to order the b30 or w40v2.

Did you hear both B30 and W40v2? The sound difference is quite noticeable, which could make it easier to choose :wink: B30 bass is more elevated, thicker, meatier, while W40v2 bass is more neutral (quantity wise) in a relative comparison. Also, B30 mids/vocals are warmer, with more body, and pushed slightly to the back, while W40v2 mids/vocals are leaner, have more clarity, and pushed more forward (thanks to lower bass quantity which gives more room for vocals to breath). Treble is not too far off, though W40v2 has just a little more sparkle.

westone_w40v2_vs_b30-01.jpg

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,254 of 1,383
Did you hear both B30 and W40v2? The sound difference is quite noticeable, which could make it easier to choose :wink: B30 bass is more elevated, thicker, meatier, while W40v2 bass is more neutral (quantity wise) in a relative comparison. Also, B30 mids/vocals are warmer, with more body, and pushed slightly to the back, while W40v2 mids/vocals are leaner, have more clarity, and pushed more forward (thanks to lower bass quantity which gives more room for vocals to breath). Treble is not too far off, though W40v2 has just a little more sparkle.

Thanks. Sadly in the uk there is a dearth of places to audition iems westone or not. Just curious, if you had to pick one for rock and metal which one would you go for. Source is either shanling m0 or the not ideal hiby r6.

Thanks again.

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,256 of 1,383
Thinking about getting the W60 v1 since I can get them at a discount. Are they still a good headphone even when the v2 is out? We're talking almost a $600 difference in price...

Are you talking about used W60 on Amazon for $475 or something else? Either way, considering v2 price is $1k, if you can get the original W60 v1 for close to $400, it's a steal. Good or bad, that will be up to you depending on your sound preference, but I personally still consider W60 v1 to be quite relevant and a great pair of IEMs, especially if you can get them at $600 off discount.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,257 of 1,383
Thanks. Sadly in the uk there is a dearth of places to audition iems westone or not. Just curious, if you had to pick one for rock and metal which one would you go for. Source is either shanling m0 or the not ideal hiby r6.

Thanks again.

Well, just my 2 cents, and also under consideration that I don't listen too much to rock or metal. This genre of music needs IEMs with more speed, more clarity in mids, and more crunch in treble to bring out electric guitars and vocals. I don't think B30 will be able to handle it, while W40 v2 will sound better with rock and metal.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,258 of 1,383
I've been using my W30s for almost four years now, grabbed the W40 V2s on Black Friday and were exactly as expected. Pretty much a IEM version of the HD58x with less bass. So happy I pulled the trigger. I own HD58x and HE4xx for full size and I feel the W40 and W30 a very similar to the two in a much smaller package.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,259 of 1,383
I've been using my W30s for almost four years now, grabbed the W40 V2s on Black Friday and were exactly as expected. Pretty much a IEM version of the HD58x with less bass. So happy I pulled the trigger. I own HD58x and HE4xx for full size and I feel the W40 and W30 a very similar to the two in a much smaller package.

Were they on BF sale directly from Westone or another retailer? Someone asked me last week if I'm aware of black Friday Westone sales, but I didn't see any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back