New WESTONE W-SERIES
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #91 of 1,383
  Then where do you keep your player and amp if you use one?  That's what I'm asking?  Do you carry 3 different cases around?

I still have to decide which individual case to use for W40, but actually thinking to carry W40 (with a case), spare tips, cables, Plantronics wireless BBG2, and E18 in a spare M-100 shell.  I had a little plastic tab inside of my V-moda shell cracked, and instead of sending replacement tab (probably 5 cent part, the one which goes under the screw inside holding those elastic bands), they sent me the whole new shell.  I know its a bit overkill, but will be one stylish way to carry everything :wink:  Hoping to get X5 soon, so will add it inside as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #92 of 1,383
  ???

For what purpose?   It has been well documented and confirmed by Westone that the sound is identical.  Only cosmetic changes.

Sorry but... confirmed by who? I asked Westone and they never confirmed clearly, they are always quite vague.

Also, I owned the Westone 4R for 2 years and I received my W40 yesterday and they sound is shi*, with loads of bass and the sound not clear at all. I don´t know if it will change or not, but I am very disappointed after about 20 hours of burning in. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #93 of 1,383
  Sorry but... confirmed by who? I asked Westone and they never confirmed clearly, they are always quite vague.

Also, I owned the Westone 4R for 2 years and I received my W40 yesterday and they sound is shi*, with loads of bass and the sound not clear at all. I don´t know if it will change or not, but I am very disappointed after about 20 hours of burning in. 

Someone had asked Westone CS I think a while back and got the response that they use the same drivers and that they are tuned the same.  IEMs like to change sound with time and the W4 was known to be sensitive to tip changes.  

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #94 of 1,383

Someone had asked Westone CS I think a while back and got the response that they use the same drivers and that they are tuned the same.  IEMs like to change sound with time and the W4 was known to be sensitive to tip changes.  

I tried with the same tips on both and the sound is very different, let's see in a few days...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #95 of 1,383
I tried with the same tips on both and the sound is very different, let's see in a few days...

They did change the cable slightly, but I don't think that's it.  I actually do think it might be burn in XD  The shape of the housing also changes the seal, and we already know the W4 is sensitive to that sort of thing (tip changes change seal) as well.  So they may never change back...  But keep burning them in, it could be interesting XD  I should get a W40 just to measure it XD  

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #96 of 1,383
Hey frozst, nice to see you here on head-fi so we can continue our discussion from xda-dev forum :wink:

As I mentioned to someone else's comment in xda forum, I wish I could compare W40 to W4R but I'm not in such position, at least not yet.  I remember my initial reaction to W40 was similar as yours, you can probably go back a few pages to read it.  But after 10hr of burn in (using pink noise loop), the sound drastically improved with frequency spectrum becoming more balanced and detailed, and mids being less scooped.  Perhaps mine got burned in faster, and yours is taking longer?  I have been listening to W40 quite often, and still compare to UE900, and with every listening UE900 goes down in my sound preference.  I can tell you with certainty W40 are not bassheavy, and low frequency will settle in.  I have tested and compared M-Duo, CX 985, and ATH-CKX9is and those are bass-y with a v-shaped sound signature.  W40 is nowhere near in terms of their bass.  Also, UE900 are too mid-centric and sounding thinner in comparison to warm sound of W40, but in my opinion they offer a similar level of details just a different shape of spectrum.  Sorry, I know I'm not much help since we are talking about W40 vs W4, and I only have other IEMs for reference.  Btw, I also using only EPIC cable.

Hopefully with more people moving to the new W-series we can get more comparison feedback.  And I hope with more burn in yours will improve?  I know I sound like a fanboy, but I'm just enjoying these too much after so many other headphones I have listened to.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #97 of 1,383
Ugh, I absolutely hated the braided cable and I'm so pleased it's being swapped out.
Meanwhile, because of an out-of-warranty (which I feel bad about because they were originally gifts) replacement, I get to have my pick of these.
But which one...?

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #98 of 1,383
  Ugh, I absolutely hated the braided cable and I'm so pleased it's being swapped out.
Meanwhile, because of an out-of-warranty (which I feel bad about because they were originally gifts) replacement, I get to have my pick of these.
But which one...?

Which one did you have before, W4R?  Considering at the current moment W30 is not available yet, and if you had before quad BA driver 4R, going to W20 will be a step down, so W40 makes sense.  Plus, we can get another opinion about 4R vs 40 :wink:

Btw, the new one has braided cable as well (EPIC) but it's a lot nicer than braided cable from UE900.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #99 of 1,383
But which one...?

I bought the w40 for the same reason, I sold the w4r and got these for 60eur so it was a good deal.

I really hate the cables without the earhook, is really annoying as the cable is constantly jumping out of my ear, so I'm thinking about taking the ue900 one but as far as I saw the hook is fixed, not like in the w4r so you can't adapt the shape.

By the way, I had a disturbing email from westone.

yry5y3u2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #101 of 1,383
The old argument about burn in of dynamic drivers vs balanced armature drivers, and if it helps or not...  I can speak only from a personal experience, and burn in definitely improved the sound with my W40.  But anyway, I'm hoping maybe to get my hands on W4R and run my own comparison since I'm really curious about it now.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #102 of 1,383
Wow, they need to get their game together because one of their reps told me the sound should be the same but slightly "more refined" compared to older models.

Ruh roh...

I bought the w40 for the same reason, I sold the w4r and got these for 60eur so it was a good deal.

I really hate the cables without the earhook, is really annoying as the cable is constantly jumping out of my ear, so I'm thinking about taking the ue900 one but as far as I saw the hook is fixed, not like in the w4r so you can't adapt the shape.

yry5y3u2.jpg

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #103 of 1,383

yry5y3u2.jpg

I was ok with the old cables, the braids gave the cables much more flexibility and lessened memory effect imo, but i've used them so long the wires have started following the curve of my ear

Looks like westone's marketing dep knows how to fluff

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #104 of 1,383

Actually UE900 cable's hook is not fixed, its a flex-wire so you can shape it anyway you want to, on both audio only and in-line remote braided cables.

With W40 it helps when you use EPIC cable with chin slider up to help cables stay behind your ears tighter.  That's actually one of the reasons I'm using only epic braided cable instead of the other one with in-line remote.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #105 of 1,383

Actually UE900 cable's hook is not fixed, its a flex-wire so you can shape it anyway you want to, on both audio only and in-line remote braided cables.

With W40 it helps when you use EPIC cable with chin slider up to help cables stay behind your ears tighter.  That's actually one of the reasons I'm using only epic braided cable instead of the other one with in-line remote.

Thanks! Is it as good as the westone? I haven't found many cables with earhook and remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back