New Westone Product?
Oct 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #62 of 99

Quote:
Lol, we get it. You do not like the W4 
smile.gif

Well, I don't but that's not really where I am going.  I don't think it was necessarily a smashing success for Westone and the $499 price may have had a lot to do with it.  Now if you add RC or some other special addition feature to it where you are going to charge even MORE, I think there would be very few buyers.  If you are approaching $600 for a universal, customs really start to make sense.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #63 of 99

Quote:
Well, I don't but that's not really where I am going.  I don't think it was necessarily a smashing success for Westone and the $499 price may have had a lot to do with it.  Now if you add RC or some other special addition feature to it where you are going to charge even MORE, I think there would be very few buyers.  If you are approaching $600 for a universal, customs really start to make sense.

But I don't think most people actually pay MSRP (and the current list price is $449, even at the Westone website). I know I didn't - I snatched mine up at $360 at earphonesolutions with their 20% off coupon (which they have every 2-3 months).

Similarly, I picked up the UM3X RC for $320. Given the cost per performance vs competitors, it's not that overpriced. $360 for a top tier universal? Sounds about right to me. Now consider the Ety ER-4 - a fine specimen, but dated - they've been price controlled back to $299 with their PT series - you'll be hard pressed to find them again for sub-200 prices. Now, that's a price I will bitch about.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #64 of 99
ahhhh I JUST GOT MY W4. GREAT NOW I MIGHT HAVE TO RETURN AND LOSE 15% RESTOCK FEE.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #65 of 99

Quote:

But I don't think most people actually pay MSRP (and the current list price is $449, even at the Westone website). I know I didn't - I snatched mine up at $360 at earphonesolutions with their 20% off coupon (which they have every 2-3 months).

Similarly, I picked up the UM3X RC for $320. Given the cost per performance vs competitors, it's not that overpriced. $360 for a top tier universal? Sounds about right to me. Now consider the Ety ER-4 - a fine specimen, but dated - they've been price controlled back to $299 with their PT series - you'll be hard pressed to find them again for sub-200 prices. Now, that's a price I will bitch about.

Yes, $360 for a top tier universal is quite good, but at the normal price of $450, it's pretty expensive. That's why I think the Shure SE535 also hasn't sold that well because of the $500 price tag. And the Phonak PFE232 is also $600, and people really bitch about that.

I'm hoping it's a W4RC, but at the W4's price, with a reduction in the W4's price as well.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #68 of 99

From Earphonesolutions return's info: "[size=x-small](NO restocking fees on exchanges of returnable items for an item of equal or greater amount)." Pretty sure you'll just have to pay return shipping and maybe shipping for the new item. [/size]

[size=x-small]Enjoy the W4 removable cable! If that is what it really is...[/size]

Quote:
got it from earphone solutions 3 days ago.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #69 of 99
oooh thanks! i dont mind paying shipping if it is the um4x...guess ill find out in a couple of hours. 

Quote:
From Earphonesolutions return's info: "[size=x-small](NO restocking fees on exchanges of returnable items for an item of equal or greater amount)." Pretty sure you'll just have to pay return shipping and maybe shipping for the new item. [/size]

[size=x-small]Enjoy the W4 removable cable! If that is what it really is...[/size]

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #72 of 99
Yes, I have to think Ety is having some problems.  A 33% price increase out of the blue on a 20+ year old product is literally insane.

As many of us have been saying for the past 3-5 years, their stubbornist has left them out in the cold on the growing IEM market.  The ER4 went from being a well-respected high end offering to being a mid-level niche market-type IEM.  I'm certain sales are down.  That's why they raised the price and threw in some silly certificate report.  Almost insulting.

The lower end offerings (HF5, MC5) are welcome but they've been passed up regarding higher end dynamic and BA IEM's.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #73 of 99
Breaking News: Westone is NOT announcing a new IEM on October 24, instead announcing that they have bought Etymotic for $500 and a lifetime supply of Twinkies and will begin working on the first 5+BA driver universal and the ER5 (which is STILL just gonna be an unchanged ER4 with the addition of a W on the side) 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Yes, I have to think Ety is having some problems.  A 33% price increase out of the blue on a 20+ year old product is literally insane.

As many of us have been saying for the past 3-5 years, their stubbornist has left them out in the cold on the growing IEM market.  The ER4 went from being a well-respected high end offering to being a mid-level niche market-type IEM.  I'm certain sales are down.  That's why they raised the price and threw in some silly certificate report.  Almost insulting.

The lower end offerings (HF5, MC5) are welcome but they've been passed up regarding higher end dynamic and BA IEM's.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #74 of 99
Quote:
Breaking News: Westone is NOT announcing a new IEM on October 24, instead announcing that they have bought Etymotic for $500 and a lifetime supply of Twinkies and will begin working on the first 5+BA driver universal and the ER5 (which is STILL just gonna be an unchanged ER4 with the addition of a W on the side) 
biggrin.gif

Was this suppose to be funny? Because im not laughing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back