New Violectric all-in-one: V590
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wanted to get a thread up about the latest from Violectric: the new V590. The front panel tells us it is a "32 bit DAC + 32 bit Resampler + Pre-amp + Balanced Headphone Amp". That's a mouthful but you get the idea.
Violectric_V590_01.jpg

The concept is to take the V281, tweak it for improved performance, add a true high-end DAC. Contrast that with the V281 add-on DAC which was good for the low price but not really commensurate with the performance of a top-shelf amp like V281. What we end up with is chassis both wider and shorter, with the familiar Violectric signature design very much intact. Think V281 plus the V850 DAC and you're on the right track in terms of features and controls.

Violectric_V590_02.jpg

I'm told this is not a reworked V850 but rather a fresh new design, though I'm sure certain design elements probably carry over. The original Violectric V800 DAC used a single TI PCM1792 chip with a Tenor USB receiver. The V850 switched it up to dual PCM1795 DACs paired with XMOS USB. Neither were DSD capable, but the new model can do at least DSD128 (that's as high as I have tried). There's still the option for resampling or running native sample rate, and that can even be done from the included remote control - which of course also does volume, input selection, and the other usual stuff.

The DAC section of the V590 is AKM-based but I don't have further specifics at the moment so I can't say which model. I can confirm it uses an Amanero USB chip - when I first got it set up, Roon thought it was a Nagra HD DAC (not bad company to be in). I also need to find out more about what exactly was done to improve upon the amplification section (assuming they are willing to spill those details). Pricing is not finalized but the initial number put it comfortably below $4k, which is nice considering the V281 with remote control option plus a V850 is around $4150. If the V590 sounds better, for less money, that's a big win.

Violectric_V590_03.jpg

This thread will be updated as I get further info.
Violectric_V590_04.jpg

I just got the V590 in the other day so I haven't had a ton of listening time, but so far I love what I hear. It's got a big, bold presentation, very articulate yet also fluid and non-fatiguing. It effortlessly drove all the headphones I tried, including Empyrean, Kennerton Thekk, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Audeze LCD-24. Obviously need to do a ton more listening and will take some real pics when I get a chance, but so far color me impressed.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 29
And of course I just realized my mistake a moment after posting. The V590 has a relay-based volume control, so the price calculation above is wrong - it would be $4400 for a comparably-equipped V281 plus V850. So V590 value is that much better.

I don't have a set-in-stone launch date yet, but possibly around June.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 29
I'm not sure anything new, even from Violectric, could displace my V281 + NOS DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid).

But still, this looks pretty interestings--including the "resampler" (much possibility there).

Thanks for starting this new thread! I'm in...

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 29
Aha! Yet another new headphone DAC/amp that will be perfect for the 10% of my music collection that is perfectly balanced and perfectly mixed as it has no EQ and no Crossfeed. Sadly for Violectric and so many other makers, I already have a set that includes both of these essentail features thus allowing me to enjoy 100% of my music collection and will never ever have a need for a device like this one.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 29
Aha! Yet another new headphone DAC/amp that will be perfect for the 10% of my music collection that is perfectly balanced and perfectly mixed as it has no EQ and no Crossfeed. Sadly for Violectric and so many other makers, I already have a set that includes both of these essentail features thus allowing me to enjoy 100% of my music collection and will never ever have a need for a device like this one.

Thanks, we are kinda starving for information in this thread so your info is much appreciated. Now please tell us about more about stuff you are not interested in or will never buy.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 29
Heard one of these at CanJam NYC this year and it sounded fantastic! Using the internal dac I found that the sound was better than the V281/V850 combo but not quite up to the level of the Niimbus US4+. Of course this makes sense given the price point of the unit, and Fried told me he was aiming to position the V590 between the two flagship amps mentioned above. He also told me the unit has two AKM4490 dac chips—one for each channel.

The V590 has a fantastic form factor as well. It’s obviously wider than the V281 but also much shallower—I’d say it’s around 2/3 the footprint of the Niimbus amp. Think a Phonitor 2/X or Meier Corda amp.

I do think that with a super top-tier dac you could get a V281 to sound “better” than the V590, but that combo would far exceed the price of the all-in-one unit. I bet the V590 amp section would scale up with an external dac as well but obviously I couldn’t test that. I’ll also say that at CanJam the Niimbus amp was sourced from the V590 dac and it did not leave me wanting for much, so one could build a system around this unit and be happy for a long time. All in all if I was starting from scratch on a headphone system right now this would be one of the first things I’d think about buying.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 29

Two ideas for you.

First, have you tried Roon? I know it's a bit pricey but the EQ and crossfeed options are very robust and adjustable to fit most any goals. That would allow you to still use any DAC/amp as realistically those controls aren't found in hardware all that often.

Second, Meier offers the fairly new Corda Soul which was partially designed and/or manufactured by the folks at Violectric. It looks similar to V590 in terms of footprint, less amazing amp and DAC sections but should still be good, and has tons of adjustments.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 29
Two ideas for you.

First, have you tried Roon? I know it's a bit pricey but the EQ and crossfeed options are very robust and adjustable to fit most any goals. That would allow you to still use any DAC/amp as realistically those controls aren't found in hardware all that often.

Second, Meier offers the fairly new Corda Soul which was partially designed and/or manufactured by the folks at Violectric. It looks similar to V590 in terms of footprint, less amazing amp and DAC sections but should still be good, and has tons of adjustments.

Very positive/productive reply to a post that was somewhat less so/less so...

At CanJam NYC in February I had a long & fascinating discussion w/the owner/designer of Meier, whose name I promptly forgot (brain like swiss cheese). I listened to the Corda Soul for ~10", but under show conditions it was impossible to really know what's going on. But that conversation really stuck with me. The Corda Soul design contains the most extensive, innovative use of DSP I've encountered in headphone audio; it's really aiming for the moon sonically.

I had no idea Violectric was involved, though. That's pretty interesting.

Also at CanJam I had the pleasure of meeting Fried Reim & came off as a shameless fanboy ("I love my V281" & "The Lake People G109-A is wonderful, too"). He was more gracious than I deserved. With Fried was Arthur of Power Holdings, Inc, one of the really good people I've met in this hobby.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 29
That would be Jan Meier, an old-school headphone enthusiast if ever there was one. See this ancient interview with him from back in the day to learn a bit more. Very interesting fellow.

In any case, I've been told a V590 thread already exists which predates this one by a good amount. Going to try and get them merged.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 29
That would be Jan Meier, an old-school headphone enthusiast if ever there was one. See this ancient interview with him from back in the day to learn a bit more. Very interesting fellow.

In any case, I've been told a V590 thread already exists which predates this one by a good amount. Going to try and get them merged.

That's the man! He manages to be very technical, very detailed and logical, yet also very passionate about music & the feelings it gives rise to (an unusual combination).

I could barely follow the technical things he told me about his DSP circuit & its design objectives, but he spent time patiently explaining things in the friendliest manner.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 29

Thanks project86 for sharing more info and internal picture of the V590. Yes, the other thread was started by Fegefeuer. Will be great if both can be merged :)

The V590 is very exciting indeed. I own the RS05/V850/V280 combo. Looking forward to hear the difference / improvements.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 29
As an owner of V281, I'm interested in V590. But, I really hope it's priced near 3,000 USD. Otherwise, personally it will be very hard to make a compelling excuse to upgrade from my current set up of V281($2,699)+Topping D90 ($699).

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 29
As an owner of V281, I'm interested in V590. But, I really hope it's priced near 3,000 USD. Otherwise, personally it will be very hard to make a compelling excuse to upgrade from my current set up of V281($2,699)+Topping D90 ($699).
Greetings. I just purchased a V281 today and will also use it with a D90 when it arrives. Just curious if you have any tips for setting it up. I intend to use the balanced XLR connections. I will see how it works as a preamp for my two channel listening room in addition to headphone amp. I know that there are some internal gain switches in addition to the external ones. I do realize the last post here was more than a year ago but I can't hurt to try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back