New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 28, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #91 of 208
I just want to take a bit to remind everyone that this thread covers personal thoughts, experiences, and impressions on the M100 Master specifically, and not past V Moda products. This is, of course, unless you're comparing the M100 Master to past V Moda products.

Try to be helpful to those who are considering purchasing the M100 Master by providing clear and concise information.

And as always, please be civil and courteous to your fellow head-fi'ers.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #93 of 208
I'm not sure how it could be more boomy. All the reviewers have likely never heard the M-100 or if they did, never did an A/B so who cares. I get your question though, also interested for people that have both.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #94 of 208
Has anyone else done any comparisons with the new M100 Master? One guy threw me off on youtube, saying the bass on the new Master is more boomy, and the new sound signature sounds more colored.
The bass on the new Master is more controlled, without a doubt. The treble extends as it did before on the M100, from memory. The treble is very smooth without any sharp spikes. This is a more balanced sound than the original M100. The only other V-Moda I have to compare with anymore is the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex, which I will plug in later. I will review them but unfortunately it will be a while, I have quite a few ahead of it.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #95 of 208
As a long time V-MODA fan, I’ve had every headphone they’ve produced except for the original LP. The Master is truly and evolution of their sound sig. Much closer to M80 on-ear version than the original LP/LP2s in terms of overall balance and nuance. My original m100s were stolen, so I’m going from memory but the new Masters definitely seem less bright and less boomy. They have really figured out how to balance their house sound and it remarkable if you like that type of sound. Definitely V-Shaped (obviously lol) so the mids are still slightly recessed like every other V-MODA headphone.

The issue I have always had w/ their headphones is the ear pads. After using Sony’s (currently have the 1AM2 and the 1000XM3 for travel), it’s just weird they released the new master without widening the cups a bit. I appreciate the extra padding (almost XL sized) but they still are pretty narrow which means I can only listen for an hour or two before the pain sets in. If there is ever a new model that’s the first thing they should work on.

Either way, definitely happy w/ the Master and it is technically proficient enough to justify the price. Obviously build quality and warranty are fantastic, so I’m sure these will last me a good long time.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #96 of 208
As a long time V-MODA fan, I’ve had every headphone they’ve produced except for the original LP. The Master is truly and evolution of their sound sig. Much closer to M80 on-ear version than the original LP/LP2s in terms of overall balance and nuance. My original m100s were stolen, so I’m going from memory but the new Masters definitely seem less bright and less boomy. They have really figured out how to balance their house sound and it remarkable if you like that type of sound. Definitely V-Shaped (obviously lol) so the mids are still slightly recessed like every other V-MODA headphone.

The issue I have always had w/ their headphones is the ear pads. After using Sony’s (currently have the 1AM2 and the 1000XM3 for travel), it’s just weird they released the new master without widening the cups a bit. I appreciate the extra padding (almost XL sized) but they still are pretty narrow which means I can only listen for an hour or two before the pain sets in. If there is ever a new model that’s the first thing they should work on.

Either way, definitely happy w/ the Master and it is technically proficient enough to justify the price. Obviously build quality and warranty are fantastic, so I’m sure these will last me a good long time.
I think the XS started to search for a more balanced signature. With the Master they have found more balance. They are getting better and better. You are correct, they are more of a V shape, but many good IEMs and Headphones are.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #97 of 208
The bass on the new Master is more controlled, without a doubt. The treble extends as it did before on the M100, from memory. The treble is very smooth without any sharp spikes. This is a more balanced sound than the original M100. The only other V-Moda I have to compare with anymore is the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex, which I will plug in later. I will review them but unfortunately it will be a while, I have quite a few ahead of it.

It's still fairly v-shaped though?

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #99 of 208
I appreciate the reviews of the new M-100s, guys. Keep 'em comin'. :thumbsup:

Has anyone else done any comparisons with the new M100 Master? One guy threw me off on youtube, saying the bass on the new Master is more boomy, and the new sound signature sounds more colored.

I agree with you that his particular review seems contradictory after further thought. Most say the new M-100 is less boomy than the original, not more, and that it sounds closer to the Crossfade 2 Wireless. He also says the new M-100 sounds more "colored," and yet, has more soundstage.

Well, in my experience soundstage and a "colored" sound are mutually exclusive. The better the soundstage, the less colored it should sound, and the more "live" feeling it gets.

(That's one thing my app does for the original M-100: totally eliminates the excessive midbass / lower-midrange coloration on the vast majority of songs, and presents a phenomenal soundstage.)

Oh well...looking forward to reading more reviews of the new M-100 before making my decisions (in the near future) about what to buy (and/or stock up on) for the coming years.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #100 of 208
Well, in my experience soundstage and a "colored" sound are mutually exclusive. The better the soundstage, the less colored it should sound, and the more "live" feeling it gets.
That would depend on where a natural or exaggerated soundstage is being portrayed. If it's the latter, that's a coloration as well. Colorations are usually heard as deviations from natural tonality (if it exists in the recording)

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #101 of 208
Well, I hope this isn't considered too much "off-topic," but would anyone care to speculate about why Val Kolton has been so.................um.................absent..................recently??? :confused:

Especially considering how V-Moda has just recently launched a product update to their ultimate, most-famous, best-selling headphone?

Val has been nowhere to be seen, and neither he nor V-Moda chose to exhibit at CanJam London this past weekend, in spite of this.

Did he, like,....die,....or something? Did he resign from V-Moda in the last year or two and sell his remaining ownership stake? Has he been dissatisfied with the new products and the new direction that V-Moda has gone in since he sold 70% of the ownership of his company to Roland in August of 2016?

I wonder if Val has been unenthusiastic about the Crossfade 2 Wireless and the M-100 Master? Is he saddened to see the production of the old M-100 discontinued?

Perhaps V-Moda had been having financial trouble prior to 2017, so Val had no choice but to sell most of his company to Roland?

Anyway, this has really been bugging me these past few days, and if anyone knows anything (or would just like to speculate), then.......fire away.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #103 of 208
Well, I hope this isn't considered too much "off-topic," but would anyone care to speculate about why Val Kolton has been so.................um.................absent..................recently??? :confused:

Especially considering how V-Moda has just recently launched a product update to their ultimate, most-famous, best-selling headphone?

Val has been nowhere to be seen, and neither he nor V-Moda chose to exhibit at CanJam London this past weekend, in spite of this.

Did he, like,....die,....or something? Did he resign from V-Moda in the last year or two and sell his remaining ownership stake? Has he been dissatisfied with the new products and the new direction that V-Moda has gone in since he sold 70% of the ownership of his company to Roland in August of 2016?

I wonder if Val has been unenthusiastic about the Crossfade 2 Wireless and the M-100 Master? Is he saddened to see the production of the old M-100 discontinued?

Perhaps V-Moda had been having financial trouble prior to 2017, so Val had no choice but to sell most of his company to Roland?

Anyway, this has really been bugging me these past few days, and if anyone knows anything (or would just like to speculate), then.......fire away.

If you look at his LinkedIn, it says "Sabbatical".
So I'd just guess a long vacation.

Edit: "Former CEO at V Moda" on Facebook.
So a much, much longer vacation.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #104 of 208
"Former CEO at V Moda" on Facebook.

Makes sense, unfortunately.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention is how strange it is that V-Moda didn't exhibit at CanJam SoCal in Irvine, California last month.

V-Moda's international headquarters (and big warehouse) is located in Los Angeles in the same metro area! They couldn't even send two employees on a simple commute across town to show off V-Moda's products at a big CanJam festival??? :frowning:

Anyway....

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #105 of 208
I scrolled down to the bottom of the page on V-Moda's website, clicked on "About" underneath "V-Moda," and found this:

9940970_l.jpg

It says, "In early 2019, Roland fully acquired V-Moda in the natural next step of the partnership's evolution: stay tuned, the best is yet to come."

(You can find it at this link, and in the top-right corner of the screen on the site, you also can read more by clicking on "The Brand" at this link.)

On these two pages, they mention the CEO of Roland, but in the history section, they don't say anything about the founder and former CEO of V-Moda, Val Kolton.

And when describing V-Moda's design studio in Milan, Italy, the article uses past-tense language. So it's unclear whether it's still in operation there today or not.

Oh well...just thought I'd pass on this info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back