New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 19, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #61 of 208
...In a nutshell, the Masters offer a slightly more balanced sound signature over the M100, with tighter response and more clarity.

In other words, the Master’s sound is still just as punchy as the M100’s in my opinion, but it’s a more enjoyable listen because the punch is very well controlled.
Sounds good! I had the M100 for a bit, but i eventually found the sound a bit heavy in the bottom, and with not so much a V-shaped as Grand Canyon-shaped signature.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #62 of 208
I got an email from a V-moda rep basically saying how they still tried to make the bass and treble sound elevated, and they didn’t want to lose any of the fun signature the M100 is known for. However, that now the rest of the music is much clearer... I guess while still being “fun”.

I could get on with that. That actually sounds pretty good, as it should coming from a rep. I should try them before I talk anymore crap about the new one not being as V-Shaped as I prefer. Speculation from reading reviews can sometimes lead me to not buying a great product, and I need to stop.

I guess I really do love V-Moda, because I have never felt this much emotion about a company.

I somehow perma-deleted the email from the rep, since it was in my Spam folder for some reason, otherwise I’d give you the exact quote.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #64 of 208
Maybe they found the perfect balance between fun and detail. Here in Germany it's avaible in 2-3 weeks, I'll give it a try then.

Another question. Is it possible to run it balanced? It has entries in both sides. Maybe you have to remove the internal cabling running from one side to the other.
In theory it should work. I wonder if someone ever tried that with the original M100.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #65 of 208
Maybe they found the perfect balance between fun and detail. Here in Germany it's avaible in 2-3 weeks, I'll give it a try then.

Another question. Is it possible to run it balanced? It has entries in both sides. Maybe you have to remove the internal cabling running from one side to the other.
In theory it should work. I wonder if someone ever tried that with the original M100.

I was actually wondering about that myself.

No idea if it'd work at all though.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #66 of 208
Made in China or Japan?

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #67 of 208

I modded my M100's to balanced input ( I'll find my post and link it when I get time)
You have to de solder and re solder a couple of wires to use the dual entry as balanced as they way Moda wired the small PCB on the input jack for chaining up sets cuts out the sound when not using the standard Trs wiring and yes balanced does make a difference ( imo).
Link below ... I've done a few since then and made a few changes as in just tie back the connecting wire rather than cut it so you can reverse the mod easier rather than re thread a cable, but also did cut one set out again but used the holes with a set of rubber dust plugs to play with the bass a bit. Just bought a few sets cheap on Amazon Warehouse (£70) and intend to strip down and play with the cups and drivers ( damping etc ).
All I can tell you about the M100's are they are a love em' or loath em' type of headphone but with a bit of modding and playing around they imo are a great set of fun " just plug in and play headphone" There's no such thing as a one size fits all headphone as we all hear different with the multitude of set ups from source to amp etc. I've in recent years as I've got older stopped getting too technical with this audiophile thing as I've spent way too much changing around set ups to find the definative listening experience and just focused on enjoying my music, but there's room for all to get as much into this game or not as the case maybe. Either way it's bloody good fun !
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/v-m...views-pics-etc.592389/page-1550#post-14876375

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #69 of 208
If this is a more refined M-100, the Masters sound promising. I still own the original M-100 along with the XS and the more recent CF ii Wireless Codex. Each can has its own distinct personality and sound sig so it’ll be interesting. The M-100 has always been my fave because of its sound sig, which includes airy highs without being fatiguing, however the headphone is not perfect. Will most likely order the Masters and post impressions when I can.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #70 of 208
If this is a more refined M-100, the Masters sound promising. I still own the original M-100 along with the XS and the more recent CF ii Wireless Codex. Each can has its own distinct personality and sound sig so it’ll be interesting. The M-100 has always been my fave because of its sound sig, which includes airy highs without being fatiguing, however the headphone is not perfect. Will most likely order the Masters and post impressions when I can.

Awesome! Would love to hear what you think.

I think "a more refined m100" is a very good way to describe them.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #71 of 208
Got 3 pairs of 100m's in bits at the moment playing with damping and a bit of mass loading, just waiting for the masters to hit UK so I can pop em open and have a play see if I can match the with the standard 100's, will also be re wiring the masters to balanced as the guarantee means nothing in the UK as you've got spend £60 plus just to return them for repair ( which I can do myself) will update findings as I go if anyone interested.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #72 of 208
My M100 Master arrived today. Going to begin to listen this evening.

20190724_184333~2.jpg

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #74 of 208
It has been so long since I heard the original M100 I am not sure if I can give an accurate comparison. One thing I remember from the original M100 was the bass was bloomy and the signature of the Master appears to be more controlled. Again, long time and many IEMs and HPs have passed. I wasn't an incredible fan of the M100, I always preferred the XS. I think Crossfade 2 was their most balanced HP. V-Moda has slowly been trying to refine their offerings.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #75 of 208
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I was never that impressed with the SQ or the comfort of the M-100.
And this new 'Master' version looks identical to the previous version (which looked identical to the version before that), but now it comes with a big shiny Hi-Res Audio certification sticker (which essentially means nothing).
Think I'll pass. :confused:
The “Hi-Res” gold sticker means at least 44.1/24-bit (or, any value of ‘better then CD-quality’).. wait, uhh, how does that work on cans? A wireless version? :p

I’m honestly fine with 44.1/24 or 48/24 - just amused at / jaded by marketing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back