New V Moda Crossfade LP2??
Dec 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #78 of 124

Quote:
Thanks for sharing about the vents.  I'll give it a shot.  

Well as I burn in them more and more (I've had them playing non-stop) the less required it seems to become, already noticing some slight improvements already but I'm still worried about the sound quality / price ratio. If I would have to base the price on sound quality alone I'd say without EQing currently would rate them possibly $70 and with EQing $100~$120 but at the same time I'd concider HTF600 (burnt-in) sounding aprox like $120 worth of headphones and with EQing ~$150. Then again these V-Modas have such a nice build quality, feeling, comfort and stuff which ups the value and for HTF600 it's like the opposite, bringing down the value but I still had hoped it would at least match HTF600 in sound quality but I'll continue to burn in and see if it changes.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #79 of 124
I'm really wondering what the differences are between these and the original LP. Because the packaging and what's included looks the exact same as what I got with my LP's.

Do you think your EQ recommendation would be adequate for the LP's as well?

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #80 of 124
From what I've heard, it's a better mid and high response, but not amazingly. Revision, rather than a new design. They're (as I understand) not worth an upgrade, it's not a huge difference, but the better one to buy now.

Would offer to compare when I receive mine, but won't see the mate for a month or so that has the originals.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #81 of 124
Yea Val said on facebook that if you already have LP1 it's probably not worth the jump, it's a finetuned LP1 for better mids/highs but from the sounds of it it's probably not a huge leap as I find it to be rather uneven and needs EQ adjustment. The midbass is really strong on these, possibly slightly stronger midbass around 100Hz region than XB500, but subbass sounds a little less bloated. They are starting to sound better and better but at best I think these will come close or match HTF600 in mids (without EQ probably not) and probably always remain a bit more veiled in the highs, which is a bit dissappointing as we're comparing like $179 vs $35 headphones.

Maybe M-100 will be the fullsize V-Moda heaphone to have once it gets released, I really like this design so.

EDIT: Seems the range 2 - 4kHz is really too much pushed forward and making the midrange tonality slightly off, it needs a slight bump in the lower mids (around 500Hz) and reduction in the uppermids to start sounding balanced in the midrange. I will try with my Audigy 2 ZS card as I can finetune the settings on the 10-band EQ by 0.1 increment values to get a better picture but on the Realtek onboard chip I use these settings:

(this is with the vents not being covered)

For comparision's sake, here's the optimal settings for XB500:

and HTF600:

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #82 of 124
Thanks for that Wizard. I tried your advice on covering 2 of the 3 vents and it definitely made the bass a little more punchy and less muddy on certain songs. Not that it was muddy to begin with but it seems like it definitely tightened it up. I took off the plate covers and covered the 2 top vents with electrical tape, followed by the inside of the metal cover just to make sure they definitely stay covered. These have been running for almost a full 24 hours now so they're decently burned in now.

I feel like this will help with sound isolation as well.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #83 of 124
So this is what my settings looks like with the kX Audio driver EQ for the Audigy 2 ZS card: 

(this is with the vents not being covered)

Man what a difference switching on/off, becomes so instantly clear that it needs some balancing. Especially midrange microdetails come alive in acoustic music. Sounds muffled without the EQ tweaks. Even with that boost in the highs it's never sibilant, even in the brightest recordings I tried with it sounds about right, just under the point where it becomes sibilant.

It's always kind of hard to justify a headphone that needs so much EQing to sound right for you, I like all other aspects of it but it could definitely be better balanced in the mids/highs.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #84 of 124
What program are you using for your EQ? Perhaps I should start using that instead of iTunes, where it's tricky to bear down on a particular setting.

So do you prefer them with or without the vents covered?

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #85 of 124

Quote:
What program are you using for your EQ? Perhaps I should start using that instead of iTunes, where it's tricky to bear down on a particular setting.
So do you prefer them with or without the vents covered?

I only use my soundcards' EQ as I want something that is applied in whatever I do on the comp, listen to music, watch movies or gaming or check online vids on youtube etc.

I'm not sure if I prefer them uncovered or not as I haven't compared since I initially got them and tested em but with this EQ settings I don't feel it's necessary, leaving as much open as possible usually results in airier sound (often more reverbey too but it's not too reverbey to me uncovered anyway). 

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #87 of 124

Quote:
Will there be any detrimental effects to the headphones from covering the vents?

If you cover too much the soundstage will suffer (try covering/uncovering the last hole with your fingers while playing music to hear the instant difference) and it just gets brighter and it'll be significantly less bassy and less reverbey, that's about it. It depends on the design exactly how much should be left open to be suitable and how the balance of the drivers are for starters and probably the volume of the cup etc. A brighter sounding driver I'd leave more open than a dark sounding driver like these in the LP2s.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #90 of 124
Wizard I'm a big fan of your settings so far. Treble comes out a bit more and has a little more defined bass.

I also took the vent covers off, seems better with these EQ settings. Now I just need to find a similar setting for my iPhone. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back