New User Needing Advice! Amp Help!
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smite05

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I am a digital listener which I listen to a wide range of audio in MP3 and Flac format. I also use my setup for gaming as it is all connected to my Desktop PC.

My current setup is an Emotiva TA-100 paired with Klipsch RP600M's with a SVS SB1000 Sub. I am considering upgrading my amp to something else. I have been looking at the Cambridge CXA60 or 80.

Another thought is I also use headphones from time to time and want to ensure the amp of choice will power them without really have to use and external headphone amp. My current headphones are Sennheiser HD58X, HIFIman Sundara, and a Monoprice M600.

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advace!

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Another thought is I also use headphones from time to time and want to ensure the amp of choice will power them without really have to use and external headphone amp. My current headphones are Sennheiser HD58X, HIFIman Sundara, and a Monoprice M600.

Get a NAD or Rotel etc with Speaker B output with a front selector, then hook up a HiFiMan converter from Speaker B.

Or just get a DAC and HPamp+preamp or a DAC-HPamp-Preamp and feed a preamp signal to a separate power amp (use a splitter for the subwoofer signal) like a First Watt F5 or something similar from PassLabs. Or Emotiva.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Hey so, quick question: what are you looking for in your upgrade? The emotive isn't bad by any means, so if you're not looking to spend "an arm and a leg" it might help to know specifically what you're looking for sonically. For example, a tube amp vs. solid state because you're looking for a warmer sound.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Im kinda new to the audiophile game and I have to say you are kinda speaking German to me. FYI. I am looking for an amp upgrade without spending an arm and a leg as well.

Just get something like an AudioGD NFB-11.38. Headphones plugged into it in front.Connect the output in the rear to Y-splitter, one going to an Emotiva XPA-2 and the other going to your subwoofer's built in amplifier.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 10
One problem with my Emotiva TA-100, is the line out doesn't work the greatest as its not muted when headphones are plugged in. That is another reason for change. I am wondering if anyone know anything about the Cambridge Audio CXA60 and how the headphone out is on that unit. The unit itself should power my speakers with ease just want to know about the headphone out.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 10
One problem with my Emotiva TA-100, is the line out doesn't work the greatest as its not muted when headphones are plugged in. That is another reason for change. I am wondering if anyone know anything about the Cambridge Audio CXA60 and how the headphone out is on that unit. The unit itself should power my speakers with ease just want to know about the headphone out.

If you're using headphones there are too few integrated amps I'd trust with some (let alone most) headphones with them.

IF it was just 250ohm or higher and 96dB/1mW or higher headphones any Marantz will do but anything else is a wild card. That's why the safe bet is to just get a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit and use its preamp output to feed a power amp ie not an integrated amp.

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 10
how do you feel about Schiit Audio products
If you're using headphones there are too few integrated amps I'd trust with some (let alone most) headphones with them.

IF it was just 250ohm or higher and 96dB/1mW or higher headphones any Marantz will do but anything else is a wild card. That's why the safe bet is to just get a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit and use its preamp output to feed a power amp ie not an integrated amp.

How do you feel about Schiit Audio products like Asgard with the Dac option and using Vidar amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back