NEW Ultrasone Tribute 7 Headphones Limited Edition
Oct 21, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #31 of 61
Looks to be same headband as Beyer DT440/660/860

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #33 of 61
Now that I've spent a little more time with the Tribute 7 I can post some (maybe still premature) impressions. They've got about 100 hours on them now.

Overall these are keepers for me.  They are very energetic, intense phones with a thick full-bodied sound. Bass is satisfying and the mids and highs are beautifully rendered. Treble is crisp and accurate, reminding me of balanced armature iem's at times. The aluminum earcups are beautiful and luxurious. The added heft is not a problem for me comfort-wise.

Now for some brief comparisons:

vs. Signature DJ:

Both are bassy and intense. When it comes to the lowest of the low sub-bass, Sig DJ has more of it. Whereas the Sig DJ's bass hits a little harder, the Tribute 7's bass is more textured and nuanced. Tribute 7 has more mid-bass which makes them sound warmer. Treble is more detailed on the Tribute 7. Instrument separation and imaging are better on the Tribute 7. Tribute 7 is the better all-rounder. Some may prefer Sig DJ if EDM is all they listen to.

vs. Edition 5 Unlimited:

They are similar in terms of clarity and resolution. Bass is tighter on the Tribute 7. Tribute 7 sounds thicker and warmer. Ed 5 has a more laid back presentation with a larger soundstage whereas Tribute 7 is more energetic and speedy. It will come down to personal preference, but overall I think both are the best of what Ultrasone has to offer.

vs. Edition 8 Ruthenium:

Ed 8's bass is loose and unfocused compared to Tribute 7. Ed 8 sounds completely deficient in the mids and have zero warmth. Tribute 7 sounds much warmer and fuller. Treble on the Ed 8 is sibilant compared to Tribute 7. Tribute 7 wins here on all accounts. I personally was never a big fan of Ed 8 - it always sounded like something was missing from them and the soundstage/imaging feels kind of unnatural.

Hi Grownmansport, I see you also own the Pandora Hope VI and 650. How would you compare the sound signature of the Tribute 7 to these two cans? Do you prefer either to the Tribute?

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #34 of 61
I prefer the Tribute 7s over both.

Pandoras have an airier and more spacious presentation but very colored in the lower treble and overall are less resolving. They're also less bassy.

As much as I wanted to like them, I always found the 650s to be quite boring and too mid-focused, only suited for classical and acoustic music which I don't listen to. Tribute 7s are more aggressive and fun and better suited for contemporary genres.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 61

Thanks grownmansport! I have to agree on the 650. I have them. I use them, but it's rare that I really like them. I've been circling around the LCD XC for a while. I really like these paired with the Calyx M DAP. I heard the Tribute only briefly at shop in Hong Kong, which was my first time to listen to anything Ultrasone, and keep coming back to this as a possibility for a great closed end game headphone. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #36 of 61

Thanks grownmansport! I have to agree on the 650. I have them. I use them, but it's rare that I really like them. I've been circling around the LCD XC for a while. I really like these paired with the Calyx M DAP. I heard the Tribute only briefly at shop in Hong Kong, which was my first time to listen to anything Ultrasone, and keep coming back to this as a possibility for a great closed end game headphone. 

You're welcome.  Have you heard the TH900?  If you're looking for closed end game phones, I would consider them as well.  Very different sound, but probably a better all rounder than the Tribute 7 at half the price.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #38 of 61
I would like to revive this thread as I finally got my Tribute 7 today. To my surprise, these headphones sounded pretty good out of the box though it was a bit veiled. It's quite an opposite experience compared to my Edition 5 Unlimited, which sounded really bad out of the box (sounds excellent after 350 hours). I plan to report back after at least 200 hours burn in.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #39 of 61
I prefer the Tribute 7s over both.

Pandoras have an airier and more spacious presentation but very colored in the lower treble and overall are less resolving. They're also less bassy.

As much as I wanted to like them, I always found the 650s to be quite boring and too mid-focused, only suited for classical and acoustic music which I don't listen to. Tribute 7s are more aggressive and fun and better suited for contemporary genres.

Ultrasone sound does really, really well on contemporary music. Don't have the 7, but I've always found Ultrasones to excel with pop/EDM/Electronic stuff with their punchy bass and crispy treble.

Hard to beat Ultrasone bass IMO.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #40 of 61
Burn in process now 30 hours+
Veil is partially lifted but still there. Treble is getting better, but bass is lacking. I checked the sound time to time and found that the sound signature keeps changing quite dramatically.
170 hours to go.

BTW, each Tribute 7 comes with a frequency response analysis comparing against the Edition 7. I think it would be interesting to see how variable each individual unit is in terms of frequency responses.
Here is mine (S/N 589).
I would appreciate if other owners upload their frequency response analysis.
Thanks in advance!!

9935295_l.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #41 of 61
Now it's over 160 hours and sounds fantastic!!
Nice deep bass, although extension to sub-bass is a bit limited. Strong but very smooth mid with energetic clear treble without getting harsh.
No sibilance there. It's musically so engaging. Great for hard rock, metal, and contemporary jazz.

BTW, any other owner willing to share the frequency response graph??

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #42 of 61
Can anyone confirm that the tribute 7's connectors are the same as the HD700?

I'm considering ordering balanced cables for my A&K DAP, and I wonder if I can simply pick up an HD700 cable someone and get it re-terminated as 2.5mm trrs.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #44 of 61
I saw these in the new HBO show. How do these compare to similar priced headphones?
Will I see any benefit from using these from my HD800?
If you like HD800 and want to migrate to closed cans, try HD820.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #45 of 61
If you like HD800 and want to migrate to closed cans, try HD820.

Hey there,

I’m new on here but have been reading multiple posts on Focal Stellia and Ultrasone Tribute 7. I see that the Stellias are in your current listed setup. Do you still use the Tribute 7? I’m looking at both and trying to decide, so wondering if you could give a detailed comparison of both. I have a pair of Stellias at the moment and I love the soundstage and detail, but they’re a little loose on my head. Wondering how the Tribute 7 would compare in fit and, most importantly, sound quality.

Thanks very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back