New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Feb 26, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #436 of 970
FYI pairing well and noise floor are different animals. Maybe I misunderstood your post that I responded to. I was thinking noise floor. With the tube compliment used in the mapletree you are going to get some low level tube noise. I know JoeDoe here on head-fi used to own the Mapletree amp with grados. You may want to ask him for advice. Here is a thread about the Mapletree I thought you should read...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-ear-hd-ii-amp-anyone-heard-of-them.11262/

Anyway I think the Cayin will knock your socks off with the right tubes. It may be a little noisy though.

You should also look at the Elekit TU-8200R. The Elekit is even better than the Cayin IMO. It competes with the likes of the Woo WA5. I own the 8200 and adore it. I've also owned the WA5.

I have already seen that thread on ASR. After about the first post, there is no mention of Mapletree.:relaxed: There are two guys making headphone amps at Mapletree. I spoke to both of them and both agree that the one I wanted was the Ear+ HDII, even though the other guy makes three other models. The guy who makes the Ear+ actually uses his Grado's with his. The partner says that his should work, but the others are "proven" with Grado low impedance.
The Tuba looks good, has more power and a few more toys. And a TEN year warranty!

I will try to look up JoeDoe.

I am not really a DIY guy with electronics.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #437 of 970
I used to own a Mapletree Ear+ with upgrades I did myself and I have read about the Hagerman Tuba. The Mapletree is good with low impedance and efficient phones like Grado but doesn't have enough power to be a 'universal' headphone amp for less efficient phones. I believe the Hagerman is in the same category as the Mapletree. You are paying more for either of these amps because they come from small basically one man operations. The Cayin has enough power and versatility to drive almost any headphone and the adjustable impedance selector to match to any headphone, so you are almost future proof for any phones you purchase in the future. HiFiMan, Monoprice, Fostex, Brainwavz, and Quad planars all sound great from the Cayin. You will not get this usability from the Mapletree or Hagerman so be sure you will be okay with their limits if you go in that direction.

I understand and appreciate your advice, but here is my collection and I have no interest in getting 600 Ohm headphones and am not even sure if I will keep the HD600's.

If I was sure I could simply buy some tubes for the Cayin and be happy, I would. I LOVE the look and appreciate the flexibility.

My collection is:
Grado GH2's are 32 Ohm at 99.8 Db's
Focal Elex's 80 Ohms at 104 Db's
Fostex TH-610's 25 Ohms at 98 Db's
Looking to pick up up the Campfire Audio Cascades this year 38 Ohms at 100Db's

The next four may not be staying long term, but in the here and now...
Sennheiser HD600's 300Ohms at ?
Sennheiser HD58X's 150 Ohms at 104 Db's
Meze 99 Classic's 32 Ohms at 103 Db's
Beyerdynamic T5p Gen. 2's 32 Ohm's at 102 Db's

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #438 of 970
I have already seen that thread on ASR. After about the first post, there is no mention of Mapletree.:relaxed: There are two guys making headphone amps at Mapletree. I spoke top both of them and both agrre that one I wanted was the Ear+ HDII, even though the other guy makes three other models. The guy who makes the Ear+ actually his Grado's with his. The partner says that his should work, but the others are "proven with Grado low impedance.
The Tuba looks good, has more power and a few more toys. And a TEN year warranty!

I will try to look up JoeDoe.

I am not really a DIY guy with electronics.
Talk to JoeDoe about the Mapletree he'll steer you right.

You can get the Elekit built for you at Grant Fidelity. Just so you know, the Elekit is a Japanese product not a Chinese product and sounds out of this world IMO.

http://chinahifi676.corecommerce.co...Integrated-SET-Tube-Amp-Kit-or-Assembled.html

I think the Cayin will be quieter than the Mapletree. The Mapletree uses 6SN7 output tubes and the Cayin uses 12AU7. In my experience the 12AU7 is much quieter and doesn't pickup interference as prominently as the 6SN7. You can always buy the Cayin from Andrew @ Musictek. He allows 30 days to demo and return the unit if it doesn't agree with your Grados.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...one-amplifier-like-new?variant=31568441802814

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #439 of 970

You can get the Elekit built for you at Grant Fidelity. Just so you know, the Elekit is a Japanese product not a Chinese product and sounds out of this world IMO.

http://chinahifi676.corecommerce.co...Integrated-SET-Tube-Amp-Kit-or-Assembled.html

I think the Cayin will be quieter than the Mapletree. The Mapletree uses 6SN7 output tubes and the Cayin uses 12AU7. In my experience the 12AU7 is much quieter and doesn't pickup interference as prominently as the 6SN7. You can always buy the Cayin from Andrew @ Musictek. He allows 30 days to demo and return the unit if it doesn't agree with your Grados.

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...one-amplifier-like-new?variant=31568441802814

First off, thanks for the advice!

I will try to find Joe Doe.

I will Definitely check out that link.

I am in conversation with Andrew about that very unit

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #440 of 970

I checked out that link and it starts at $850 before copious options are laid out.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #443 of 970
You're very welcome.

Be sure to ask Andrew for a discount. He'll hook you up.

When I told him I lived in Canada, he said I should buy a new one to lessen the risk of damage in shipping. They are having a sale right now for $729.00 and I have asked for a shipping quote.

We'll see. That demo price was VERY attractive.:L3000:
I was ready to hop on the Cayin train! Now I am back in analysis mode.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #444 of 970
When I told him I lived in Canada, he said I should buy a new one to lessen the risk of damage in shipping. They are having a sale right now for $729.00 and I have asked for a shipping quote.

We'll see. That demo price was VERY attractive.:L3000:
I was ready to hop on the Cayin train! Now I am back in analysis mode.
I didn't know you were in Canada. There are a ton on Cayin dealers. You may be better off buying from a dealer in Canada. No customs to deal with. Here's a list in Canadian Cayin dealers.

https://en.cayin.cn/netword/show?c=129&ctype=2&smallid=187&id=13487

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #445 of 970
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #446 of 970
You are a fountain of information!

Andrew offered me free shipping, so I will have to crunch #'s.
Well that makes it an easy decision then. I think he has Cayin mail directly from their offices in China with new units. That's what he did with me at least. So it may be a wait if you buy new with all the Corona Virus Todo.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #447 of 970
Well that makes it an easy decision then. I think he has Cayin mail directly from their offices in China with new units. That's what he did with me at least. So it may be a wait if you buy new with all the Corona Virus Todo.

I just figured he would ship from his shop. I looked at a few Canadian dealers before and couldn't find anyone stocking this amp. Got one reply so far and they stated they don't stock it.
I'll see what the rest of the day brings and contact Andrew again.

Thank again for your help. Now I really should read this whole thread.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #448 of 970
If I was sure I could simply buy some tubes for the Cayin and be happy, I would. I LOVE the look and appreciate the flexibility.

Anecdotal evidence here, but I had no issues with noise with my EMU Teak's that are similar impedance and sensitivity to your Grado's. There will be a noticeable noise floor when you have nothing playing, if you wear your headphones often with no music playing it might bug you. The noise floor improved significantly with better quality tubes, I'm currently running NoS Brimar CV4003(12AU7) and NoS Telefunken EL84's. There's still some faint noise if I crank up the amp and sit there in silence but what comes out when music is playing is worth any noise floor.

With LCD-2.1 Pre fazor, Atticus, and HD6XX this amp is nearly perfect sounding for what I want.

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #449 of 970
Anecdotal evidence here, but I had no issues with noise with my EMU Teak's that are similar impedance and sensitivity to your Grado's. There will be a noticeable noise floor when you have nothing playing, if you wear your headphones often with no music playing it might bug you. The noise floor improved significantly with better quality tubes, I'm currently running NoS Brimar CV4003(12AU7) and NoS Telefunken EL84's. There's still some faint noise if I crank up the amp and sit there in silence but what comes out when music is playing is worth any noise floor.

With LCD-2.1 Pre fazor, Atticus, and HD6XX this amp is nearly perfect sounding for what I want.

Thanks for the response! How long have you had yours?
I love all the options, but I wonder how they will hold up over time. I am not looking at 20 years, but it would be nice to get at least 5 years out of one. This thing is Well over $1K landed in Canada and you know I am going to be buying some tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #450 of 970
Thanks for the response! How long have you had yours?
I love all the options, but I wonder how they will hold up over time. I am not looking at 20 years, but it would be nice to get at least 5 years out of one. This thing is Well over $1K landed in Canada and you know I am going to be buying some tubes.
The HA-1A MKII is built to last. Fit and finish is beautiful. I can see it lasting at least 5 years but more likely much longer. One thing to do to make sure it last a long time is turn it off when not in use. Tubes tend to blow when you leave a tube amp on continually and a tube blowing will most likely do damage to the electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back