New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Feb 27, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #451 of 970
Thanks for the response! How long have you had yours?
I love all the options, but I wonder how they will hold up over time. I am not looking at 20 years, but it would be nice to get at least 5 years out of one. This thing is Well over $1K landed in Canada and you know I am going to be buying some tubes.

I've had mine for about a year, been through about 4 sets of input tubes and 2 sets of drivers. Sockets still feel firm and durable, this amp is built like a tank and is an absolute unit. Build quality is exceptional, the wiring and solder work also looks very well done and of good quality. Like it was said above this amp will easily last you 5 years, much longer if you take proper care of it. With some good quality tubes installed this amp definitely performs as you would expect a ~1000 amp to perform, I can't listen to my 6XX's on anything else anymore, the sound is smooth but still dynamic, lots of resolution and clean power. If you're on the fence and are worried that there isn't a lot about these guys online I would pull the trigger, it's an exceptional amp with the only flaw I can think of is the weight (not portable at all, probably about ~30lbs)

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #452 of 970
The HA-1A MKII is built to last. Fit and finish is beautiful. I can see it lasting at least 5 years but more likely much longer. One thing to do to make sure it last a long time is turn it off when not in use. Tubes tend to blow when you leave a tube amp on continually and a tube blowing will most likely do damage to the electronics.

I don't leave anything on continuously. I would be very happy with 5 years.
I heard back from several Canadian dealers. Most don't stock and the one that has it wants crazy money. On clearance!!

I heard back from Andrew and he would be shipping from his shop. 3-5 days
I asked about a possible DOA situation and said read the refund page.

NO refunds on sale items. Exchange only and I pay the shipping back

Hmmmm.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #453 of 970
I've had mine for about a year, been through about 4 sets of input tubes and 2 sets of drivers. Sockets still feel firm and durable, this amp is built like a tank and is an absolute unit. Build quality is exceptional, the wiring and solder work also looks very well done and of good quality. Like it was said above this amp will easily last you 5 years, much longer if you take proper care of it. With some good quality tubes installed this amp definitely performs as you would expect a ~1000 amp to perform, I can't listen to my 6XX's on anything else anymore, the sound is smooth but still dynamic, lots of resolution and clean power. If you're on the fence and are worried that there isn't a lot about these guys online I would pull the trigger, it's an exceptional amp with the only flaw I can think of is the weight (not portable at all, probably about ~30lbs)

Sounds like it has really worked out for you. Only two dealers in Canada stocking and high pricing.

Good price out of the US, but a DOA would be trouble.

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #455 of 970
I don't leave anything on continuously. I would be very happy with 5 years.
I heard back from several Canadian dealers. Most don't stock and the one that has it wants crazy money. On clearance!!

I heard back from Andrew and he would be shipping from his shop. 3-5 days
I asked about a possible DOA situation and said read the refund page.

NO refunds on sale items. Exchange only and I pay the shipping back

Hmmmm.
I've purchased quite a few items from Andrew. He's a top notch guy. He'll take care of you. He does have to make a living at this though. I had a bad USB board in the DAC I purchased from him and they replaced it right away. They gave me the option of a new board or a new unit. I took the board and installed it myself. I'm an electronics geek. I'm sure you won't have any issues with the demo unit, it's already been vetted.

One thing I just thought of. You should talk to Andy Kong here on head-fi. He works for Cayin. He'll be able to tell you if the HA-1A pairs well with Grados. I'm pretty sure it's will but it will give you piece of mind.

Feb 27, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #456 of 970
I've purchased quite a few items from Andrew. He's a top notch guy. He'll take care of you. He does have to make a living at this though. I had a bad USB board in the DAC I purchased from him and they replaced it right away. They gave me the option of a new board or a new unit. I took the board and installed it myself. I'm an electronics geek. I'm sure you won't have any issues with the demo unit, it's already been vetted.

One thing I just thought of. You should talk to Andy Kong here on head-fi. He works for Cayin. He'll be able to tell you if the HA-1A pairs well with Grados. I'm pretty sure it's will but it will give you piece of mind.

He wants to sell me a new unit as he states it has less risk of damage during shipping. A DOA would really upset me if it couldn't be made right straight away.
As far as down the road goes, crap happens. As long as they work with me, we can figure always something out.

I sent Andy Kong a PM a few days ago.

I am dying to pull the trigger with somebody!:smile:

Andrew just got back to me and confirmed that even a DOA would be non refundable and I would have to pay shipping back for an exchange since my sale is International.
He actually recommended that I try to find a Canadian dealer. I told him I had, but that didn't work out.

So, I will stop reading the thread here and keep looking. I did get a hold of JoeDoe and he does gush about Mapletree.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #457 of 970
He wants to sell me a new unit as he states it has less risk of damage during shipping. A DOA would really upset me if it couldn't be made right straight away.
As far as down the road goes, crap happens. As long as they work with me, we can figure always something out.

I sent Andy Kong a PM a few days ago.

I am dying to pull the trigger with somebody!:smile:

Andrew just got back to me and confirmed that even a DOA would be non refundable and I would have to pay shipping back for an exchange since my sale is International.
He actually recommended that I try to find a Canadian dealer. I told him I had, but that didn't work out. These decision are though.

So, I will stop reading the thread here and keep looking. I did get a hold of JoeDoe and he does gush about Mapletree.
You'll have to report back and tell us what you end up going with. Everyone on this thread is pulling for the HA-1A. IMO you can't go wrong with the Cayin.

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #458 of 970
You'll have to report back and tell us what you end up going with. Everyone on this thread is pulling for the HA-1A. IMO you can't go wrong with the Cayin.

I don't think the HA-1A is in my future. I won't pay the high prices in Canada or risk a DOA from the US.

Right now I am back between the Mapletree Ear+ HDII and the Hagerman Tuba. I am also exploring other options.

Want to make a decision over the weekend.

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #459 of 970
I don't think the HA-1A is in my future. I won't pay the high prices in Canada or risk a DOA from the US.

Right now I am back between the Mapletree Ear+ HDII and the Hagerman Tuba. I am also exploring other options.

Want to make a decision over the weekend.
The chances of the HA-1A being DOA is slim to none. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a bad one. I have purchased quite a few of Cyain's kit including the original HA-1A and now the HA-1A MKII. Both were shipped directly from Cayin in China, so much worse handling than domestic shipping from the US, and I haven't had one issue. The box and the packing that they come in is solid.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #460 of 970
The chances of the HA-1A being DOA is slim to none. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a bad one. I have purchased quite a few of Cyain's kit including the original HA-1A and now the HA-1A MKII. Both were shipped directly from Cayin in China, so much worse handling than domestic shipping from the US, and I haven't had one issue. The box and the packing that they come in is solid.

Wow, you really are a Cayin fan!:L3000:

I feel the way about Grado!

I am sure it is a great amp, but it is just too big, heavy and fragile to ship, IMO. I would need a guarantee of a painless DOA.

I actually have had a DOA amp before. Last year I had a Burson Fun-Classic arrive dead. The seller replaced it and covered shipping back for the DOA.

And the story goes on...

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #461 of 970
Wow, you really are a Cayin fan!:L3000:

I feel the way about Grado!

I am sure it is a great amp, but it is just too big, heavy and fragile to ship, IMO. I would need a guarantee of a painless DOA.

I actually have had a DOA amp before. Last year I had a Burson Fun-Classic arrive dead. The seller replaced it and covered shipping back for the DOA.

And the story goes on...
Guilty as charged! LOL. I've been through a lot of gear and the Cayin kit speaks to my audio soul. :ksc75smile:

Yeah there is always a possibility that you will get a DOA but the chances are minimal.

Whatever you end up getting I hope you enjoy it!

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #462 of 970
So the USA dealer is telling you to purchase a new amp instead of his used amp because his might get damaged in shipment? Is that because he doesn't have the box for his amp? If he has the original box, how is him shipping his used amp any different than shipping a new one? I must be missing something here.

I would still recommend the Monoprice tube headphone amp as an alternative although I don't know what the price would be to you in Canada. The Monoprice is like the Cayin in that it has enough power for almost any headphone and an impedance switch to match up to whatever headphone you use. A much more 'universal' amp than the Mapletree or Hagerman.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #463 of 970
So the USA dealer is telling you to purchase a new amp instead of his used amp because his might get damaged in shipment? Is that because he doesn't have the box for his amp? If he has the original box, how is him shipping his used amp any different than shipping a new one? I must be missing something here.

I would still recommend the Monoprice tube headphone amp as an alternative although I don't know what the price would be to you in Canada. The Monoprice is like the Cayin in that it has enough power for almost any headphone and an impedance switch to match up to whatever headphone you use. A much more 'universal' amp than the Mapletree or Hagerman.

Thanks for the feedback. Which Monoprice amp are you referring to?

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #465 of 970
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29511. Monoprice only has 1 desktop tube headphone amp. I have mentioned it in this thread in the last few pages. It was just on sale for $299 and has been on sale before as low as $189.00. I purchased mine at $189; an insanely low price for such for such a nice amp.

Now back to Cayin as this is the Cayin thread!

Yes I have looked at this several times over the years. I had forgotten about the selectable impedance. I always stopped looking after I saw that it had a DAC. I currently have an SMSL SU-8 feeding all my amps, so I'm not really look for an amp/DAC.

But thanks for the heads up!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back