NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM
Mar 15, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #301 of 1,275
Having tried all the models, I would love to share some impressions. Bear in mind though that the 1plus2.2 and the plus5 are extremely new, and according to Gavin really take things a step up with a good burn in. They're all using different cables too, with the 1plus2.2 on the stock copper OCC cable, the ref1 too on the silver gold cable and the plus5 on the uber too.

First, with the plus 5. The plus 5 sounded, to my ears to have a little richness and bloom in the lower midrange and the upper bass. According to Gavin though, that's likely to really tighten up after a good burn in. It does, however, give this very emotive vocal quality. The overall stage is not the largest. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely open and spacious, but read on and you'll get what I mean. The stage is coherent, well layered, and equally developed in all three axes. While not the largest, it sounded open, and it sounded right. The Plus5 is one of the few BA IEMs that really manages to get the bass right. It's not exactly like a dynamic driver yet, but honestly, If I didn't compare to the best of the best dynamics or hybrids, I wouldn't feel it lacking. Highs were extremely well extended, and the overall sound was balanced, yet weighted.

Now the 1plus2.2, Tonally, I liked this the best. It is a totally different beast from the 1plus2. Of course, it's got that characteristic open, airy stage of the original 1plus2, very well extended and sparkly, with a quick and well controlled bass, but more importantly, it's manage to fill out in the midrange and the bass compared to the 1plus2. It's got considerably more weight and body, giving it a much fuller, yet balanced presentation.

The ref1 too, as Gavin describes, sounds like a pair of headphones. The first thing you notice is the huge, open soundstage. Not that the others are congested mind you, it's just the ref1 too doing its thing well. The next thing that hits you is the huge sub bass, it's incredibly powerful, goes incredibly deep, yet is immensely well controlled. The mids and the highs take on a slightly softer, more laid back characteristic, but remain very present still. Gavin describes the 1plus2 to be tuned to sound like how 2 channel speaker setup, and the ref1 was tuned to sound like bass towers were added.

Again, these impressions were all with different cables at different states of burn in.

It seemed like from what Kiats was saying that the Plus5 has a larger soundstage than the Ref.1 Too. He attributed the sense of larger stage to a more controlled bass. That makes sense to me as any bass bloat seems to cut into the overall size of soundstage. However, it seems like from what WCD wrote that the Ref. 1 Too soundstage seemed larger to him than the Plus 5. Can someone who has heard both verify which has larger soundstage dimensions?

I have the Ref. 1 Too with Uber and have always been impressed by the soundstage it manages to create from IEMs. But, I always wish for an IEM that can compete with the soundstage of the best imaging of open-backed headphones (HD800, Abyss, HE1000).

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #302 of 1,275
It seemed like from what Kiats was saying that the Plus5 has a larger soundstage than the Ref.1 Too. He attributed the sense of larger stage to a more controlled bass. That makes sense to me as any bass bloat seems to cut into the overall size of soundstage. However, it seems like from what WCD wrote that the Ref. 1 Too soundstage seemed larger to him than the Plus 5. Can someone who has heard both verify which has larger soundstage dimensions?

I have the Ref. 1 Too with Uber and have always been impressed by the soundstage it manages to create from IEMs. But, I always wish for an IEM that can compete with the soundstage of the best imaging of open-backed headphones (HD800, Abyss, HE1000).

The plus5 that was listened to only had a few hours of burn in while the Ref1 Too was already burned in. That could account for the difference in perception. :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #303 of 1,275
Hi all.

In terms of the IEM models from Tralucent which would you describe as having the most detailed sound signature? I currently use the FIDUE A83 paired with the Calyx M and find them fantastic. Which of these IEMs would be a significant upgrade with a similar signature as my current setup?

Also, what are the lead times on acquiring one of these in the United States?

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #304 of 1,275
  Hi all.

In terms of the IEM models from Tralucent which would you describe as having the most detailed sound signature? I currently use the FIDUE A83 paired with the Calyx M and find them fantastic. Which of these IEMs would be a significant upgrade with a similar signature as my current setup?

Also, what are the lead times on acquiring one of these in the United States?

Moving from early 1Plus2 to now Ref.1, I'd say, if traditional dynamic bass sound signature is your cup of tea, the Ref.1 Too should be your choice.

However, this P5 should be another advancement or variation from Tralucent as Gavin will not stop his stride for better.  Even without a chance to audition the P5, the different characteristic of the BA bass unit would present when compared to the Ref.1 Too as they are fundamentally very different in the low frequency territory.

While you are looking for details (means the mids and highs), with the ultra quality wires being employed for its internal connections, I have no reservation to recommend both Ref.1 Too and P5 as they both should possess similar or better performance in the mids and highs when compared to my Ref.1.

Hope this helps.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #305 of 1,275

Moving from early 1Plus2 to now Ref.1, I'd say, if traditional dynamic bass sound signature is your cup of tea, the Ref.1 Too should be your choice.

However, this P5 should be another advancement or variation from Tralucent as Gavin will not stop his stride for better.  Even without a chance to audition the P5, the different characteristic of the BA bass unit would present when compared to the Ref.1 Too as they are fundamentally very different in the low frequency territory.

While you are looking for details (means the mids and highs), with the ultra quality wires being employed for its internal connections, I have no reservation to recommend both Ref.1 Too and P5 as they both should possess similar or better performance in the mids and highs when compared to my Ref.1.

Hope this helps.

I'm relatively new to portable HiFi. I'm not sure what you mean by "dynamic bass sound signature". I like bass that is punchy and has quick decay with no bleed. I really enjoy the bass on my FIDUE A83. Slightly north of neutral but great clarity and impact.

How would you compare the 1Plus2 to the Ref.1?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #306 of 1,275
  I'm relatively new to portable HiFi. I'm not sure what you mean by "dynamic bass sound signature". I like bass that is punchy and has quick decay with no bleed. I really enjoy the bass on my FIDUE A83. Slightly north of neutral but great clarity and impact.

Let me add my 2 cents since I also have both 1Plus2 and Ref.1. I find them quite different (both excellent but in different ways).
To me 1Plus2 is more analytical/detailed/airy and seemingly closer match to what you like (highlighed in you post), while Ref.1 has a much deeper bass and feels less analytical then 1Plus2 - maybe preciesly because the bass is so pronounced that other qualities take a little bit of a back seat.
However Ref.1 completely removes any problems with sibilance which is occasionaly present on original 1Plus2 with standard cable (although supposedly not when using uber cable which I do not have).
It's very exciting to read about new Ref.1 too, plus5, and 1Plus2/2 - I'm sure they all improve on the original 1Plus2 and Ref.1 but I will wait for more reviews before deciding whether I want to invest into another pair of Tralucents and if yes which one.
By the way, I exclusively use my Tralucents with Tera player which is a match made in heaven with both 1Plus2 and Ref.1.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #307 of 1,275

No problem.

The Ref 1 & Ref.1 Too are using bass drivers with conventional diaphragm (dynamic drivers) in isobaric configuration.   The P5 are using BA drivers (balanced-armature) and you may search through the web to find out how this design produce sound.  They are both fundamentally different on how sound wave is being produced.  

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #308 of 1,275
Thank you for the so much detailed explanation about 1plus2 and Ref1.For me Tralucent earphones are something new that i have never tried and i am looking forward to the reviews before deciding to purchase the right one.
I am a big fan of the Tera Player and very happy with the sound of the modified Porta Pro,but as you guys are saying over and over again that 1plus2,Ref1,Plus5,make the Tera Player sound much better improving on everything, micro details, bass,vocals, and adding a bigger sound stage is simply astonishing what Gavin have achieved.
Shame i can't find someone where i live to let me try them,but as soon as the reviews are coming will decide and place an order.
Thank you all for contributing to this thread and for making the Translucent brand better know to people like me.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #309 of 1,275

No problem.

The Ref 1 & Ref.1 Too are using bass drivers with conventional diaphragm (dynamic drivers) in isobaric configuration.   The P5 are using BA drivers (balanced-armature) and you may search through the web to find out how this design produce sound.  They are both fundamentally different on how sound wave is being produced.  

I know how dynamic vs BA drivers work in terms of the science involved. So from what you're saying the Ref1 will sound more bass heavy / rich than the Plus 5. Does that in any way affect the clarity of the Ref. 1?

How would you describe your older 1Plus2 vs your Ref. 1?

Let me add my 2 cents since I also have both 1Plus2 and Ref.1. I find them quite different (both excellent but in different ways).
To me 1Plus2 is more analytical/detailed/airy and seemingly closer match to what you like (highlighed in you post), while Ref.1 has a much deeper bass and feels less analytical then 1Plus2 - maybe preciesly because the bass is so pronounced that other qualities take a little bit of a back seat.
However Ref.1 completely removes any problems with sibilance which is occasionaly present on original 1Plus2 with standard cable (although supposedly not when using uber cable which I do not have).
It's very exciting to read about new Ref.1 too, plus5, and 1Plus2/2 - I'm sure they all improve on the original 1Plus2 and Ref.1 but I will wait for more reviews before deciding whether I want to invest into another pair of Tralucents and if yes which one.
By the way, I exclusively use my Tralucents with Tera player which is a match made in heaven with both 1Plus2 and Ref.1.

That helps a lot. Thank you.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #310 of 1,275
  I know how dynamic vs BA drivers work in terms of the science involved. So from what you're saying the Ref1 will sound more bass heavy / rich than the Plus 5. 

How would you describe your older 1Plus2 vs your Ref. 1?

That helps a lot. Thank you.

I can't say much about the comparison of bass between the Ref.1 and P5 (to which I've never auditioned) but an observation off from a technical POV.    I can recommend Ref.1 over the 1Plus2 (original version) in terms of overall balance as I found the latter a bit too light on bass and thus not an all around performer to me.  

On Ref.1, I would say the bass is addictive as it not only provide deep into the sub bass territory while its texture of bass is so enjoyable.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #311 of 1,275

In terms of quicker decay of the bass, the Plus5 has quicker decay. :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #312 of 1,275
Quote:

Quote:

I can't say much about the comparison of bass between the Ref.1 and P5 (to which I've never auditioned) but an observation off from a technical POV.    I can recommend Ref.1 over the 1Plus2 (original version) in terms of overall balance as I found the latter a bit too light on bass and thus not an all around performer to me.  

On Ref.1, I would say the bass is addictive as it not only provide deep into the sub bass territory while its texture of bass is so enjoyable.

In terms of quicker decay of the bass, the Plus5 has quicker decay.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is making it so difficult! :)

Is there anyone here who's paired all three Tralucents with the Calyx M? Which sounded best?

Also, any comparison of the three with respect to the FIDUE A83 would help very much.

And thank you everyone for your time.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #313 of 1,275

This is making it so difficult! :)

Is there anyone here who's paired all three Tralucents with the Calyx M? Which sounded best?

Also, any comparison of the three with respect to the FIDUE A83 would help very much.

And thank you everyone for your time.

My recommendation : 

Ref.1 Too or P5.  They are now the top Tralucent offerings and you wouldn't be wrong.  

Yup.  Tralucent is making our life more difficult by offering two great IEMs.  

Reminder : if budget allows, make sure you'll get the Uber cable as well in order to extract the best out of the IEM.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back