New top Lotoo Mjolnir
Sep 12, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #466 of 662
Today’s trip report on my journey toward Mjölnir understanding (being written while listening, with orgasmic ecstasy, via the Grado PS2000e):
  • The manual in the box invites me to go to www.lotoo.com for updates. I try that - all Chinese. So I try http://www.lotoo.cn/english/bottom/Service/Download/Hi_Fi_Music_Player/2023/0807/104.html. THERE IS THE USER MANUAL - anyone considering a purchase may wish to look here. But the manual there is the same as what came in the box… no new information.
  • So finding no manual updates, let us look for software updates. I connect the Mjölnir to my WiFi and then go to Settings / Version / Online-Update. I learn that my system has SW version 1.4.0.2 and hardware version 1.3. I push “Online-Update” , then Next, and get… ”Update failed - error code: -37.
I have developed products and introduced them into deployment. I understand when the back-office aspects of system design have not yet presented manual or software updates, and I do indeed forgive hanging internet links, placed for the future, not yet having informatinon. No problem!

Continuing on…
  • Keeping an image of either the front display or the top touch display depends on pressing the TSC switch momentarily to the right, where it re-activates the two displays that are turned off for battery sustainment.
  • My diligent research (on your behalf) had so far dropped the charge level to 11% so… Time To Charge. Well. I tried my Super Deluxe Extra Special Anker iQ USB-C 45W charger. The Mjölnir shows both the current and the power level being transferred during charge (NEAT!). It showed… 0 watts (BUMMER!). Not one to believe displays, I waited for about an hour and checked the charge level… still 11%! So… quick research in manual and on internet tells me I need USB-C PD charger (PD is a fast-charge protocol for Apple devices, entirely different than the io protocol of my Android-based Anker charger). So I hook up my Apple charger, and I buy a 60+ W 20V PD USB-C charger (that is what the manual specifies.). Charging to 100% succeeds in less than the 4 hours that the manual promises, even though my Apple charger was less than the 60W recommended. I also order a 65W USBC PD charger (you may want to too as you prepare for your Mjölnir).
  • Hugo 2… how does this compare to the Hugo 2? Any of my comparisons take hours to refine, so I do a quick look. I use Enrico Ingalsies “I Will Survive” from direct memory going into my Hugo 2 via the Chord 2Go and into my Mjölnir and listen with my HiFiMAN HE-1000 headphones. I find I have to move the Mjölnir output level from Medium to High, and to move the volume up from about 57 to about 95 to match the rather strong volume (blue color, for those who speak Chord Hugo) of my Chord Hugo 2. I listen to the first 20 sec or so of that song. Well??? WELL???? They were VERY CLOSE in quality! If I were FORCED to make a distinction, on these 20 sec of one song, I would give the edge to the Hugo 2… its drum snaps were the tiniest bit sharper is this the result of the special 49,152-tap WTA filter of Rob Watts), and its soundstage is just a mite larger. Would I notice the difference in anything more realistic than promptly-switched A/B comparisons?… NO!!! But before you titter at me for comparing the $4,000 Chord 2Go/ Hugo2 to the $7,000 Mjölnir, I confess that I also compared the Chord Hugo TT 2 (TableTop) with MScaler (total system cost of $10,500) to the Chord Hugo 2. I sheepishly confess that the TT2/MScaler was not significantly different from the Hugo2/2Go alone. I am willing to accept accusations that maybe my audio discrimination isn’t all that great… after all, I cannot reliably hear that HighDef audio is better than CD-quality audio. I NEED TO COMPARE ON MORE SONGS THAN 20 SEC OF ONE SONG before any conclusions count!
  • It is the MANUAL that has that bitter smell I referred to earlier, not the leather case
I absolutely love the Mjölnir so far!
Thanks a lot for those infos.
You write « I also order a 65W USBC PD charger«. Does it means that the Mjölnir ( +7000$) is supplied WITHOUT the appropriate charger ?!

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #468 of 662
There is no charger coming with the unit. They do supply a USB-C cord.

I must say that as I sit on my balcony overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, WA, just listening to the Mjölnir via the Focal Stellia, not comparing or evaluating but just enjoying, (and reading Mjölnir posts on Head-fi), I would say that playback on the Mjölnir is Flawless!

IMG_2242.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #469 of 662
Do you listen only to the music from the card, or you have tried to connect it to Tidal, a laptop etc? The battery life should be between 8-15 hours depending on your volume and gain selection.
Do you know about the batteries how easy is to replace them yourself? Thanks and congratulations.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #470 of 662
I only listen from the internal SD memory card so far. I have successfully connected to the internet via WiFi, but the only thing I have tried to do is an over-the-air software update. I did not succeed, because LoTOO has not yet posted any Mjölnir software on their site (hey, less than one week in US user’s hands).

There is no Internet browse capability, so I don’t know how I would hook up to Tidal, or Roon. Advice welcome… I am willing to try.

I have read that they are pursuing certification for Roon (LoTOO is not now listed on the Roon Partners web page). I can imagine that a software update would add this feature when certification is complete.

By the way, it was said that Mjölnir cannot do Roon or Tidal without having access to apps or an App Store. but my Chord Hugo 2 with 2 Go network interface does Roon without an App Store… it’s is just built in. So perhaps that is what LoTOO will do.

Nevertheless, even if they don’t add streaming, I am still quite pleased… I can listen to any song and usually hear features not noticed before. I have found no shortfalls in its sound over lots of recordings…only DELIGHT!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #472 of 662
To be honest, the software is far from complete. The current firmware only supports file play. But the sound quality of file play is fantastic. It's the best among portable players, but I'm not sure if it can be called a portable player.
Which portable players have you compared it to and how have you run your tests?

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #473 of 662
Which portable players have you compared it to and how have you run your tests?
I run an audio review channel on YouTube. So I've tried quite a few products so far. I recently reviewed Mjolnir, and the video will be uploaded soon. I was very surprised in terms of sound. Neutral yet musical sounds are not common. That's what Mjolnir sounded like.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #477 of 662
I run an audio review channel on YouTube. So I've tried quite a few products so far. I recently reviewed Mjolnir, and the video will be uploaded soon. I was very surprised in terms of sound. Neutral yet musical sounds are not common. That's what Mjolnir sounded like.
Any comparison with Shanling M30 ?

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #480 of 662
So, which portable devices have you compared the Mjolnir with so far?
You keep asking the same thing. What I mainly listened to were all Astell & Kern models, HIBY, Sony, etc. In addition, I also reviewed the entire Chord model. If you're curious, just check out the list on my YouTube channel. search ‘portable wave’ on YouTube, there will be a channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back