New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 29, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #9,378 of 9,406

That little thing (on the picture below) would solve the problem with broken jacks on portable players. Even IEMs have it

z7u.jpg

Attachments

• iems.jpg
    iems.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #9,379 of 9,406
New firmware is out. Version 1.72 (for SP1000M).

@JasonNYC

Any details on updates? I saw something about Spotify logon but not much additional detail.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #9,380 of 9,406
New firmware is out. Version 1.72 (for SP1000M).

@JasonNYC

Any details on updates? I saw something about Spotify logon but not much additional detail.
- Fix issue with date/time setting - year later than 2023 was unavailable
- Fixed Roon Ready Key Play Skip issue - before fix, when screen is off, pressing physical buttons advances more than 1 track forward/back
- Fixed the Spotify sign in error
- Fixed the Tidal list issue - embedded Tidal app
- system stability improvements

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #9,381 of 9,406
This kind of good news only confirms that I was right to buy and never sell my SP1000.
Thank you Astell&Kern, it's things like this that make all the difference when making a purchase. 👍

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #9,382 of 9,406
This kind of good news only confirms that I was right to buy and never sell my SP1000.
Thank you Astell&Kern, it's things like this that make all the difference when making a purchase. 👍
I bought a used sp1k for a great price and honestly, after hearing/having many higher end daps, like dx320 with most amps, Shanling M8, M9, H7, AK se300, sp2kt, Kann Max, Ultra, Fiio M17, M15s and some more, i literally DO NOT understand why anyone would replace the sp1k or 2k with something else. To my ears, these two still sound the best, especially with iems. They have the most refined sound, detail, layering, soundstage, overal vividness, this characteristic AK velvety midrange and depth to the sound. Add to this a non problematic, well designed software, very fast charging of the sp1k (around 1,5-2h from 0-100%) and the battery which still holds around 10h from balanced out and now THIS update.
Want even higher sound quality that not only competes but kills most todays TOTL daps? Just add the pa10 which costs 600 bucks and you are good for the next 3-4 years easily. The sp1k sounds definitely better with the pa10 than with a dedicated amp.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #9,383 of 9,406
I bought a used sp1k for a great price and honestly, after hearing/having many higher end daps, like dx320 with most amps, Shanling M8, M9, H7, AK se300, sp2kt, Kann Max, Ultra, Fiio M17, M15s and some more, i literally DO NOT understand why anyone would replace the sp1k or 2k with something else. To my ears, these two still sound the best, especially with iems. They have the most refined sound, detail, layering, soundstage, overal vividness, this characteristic AK velvety midrange and depth to the sound. Add to this a non problematic, well designed software, very fast charging of the sp1k (around 1,5-2h from 0-100%) and the battery which still holds around 10h from balanced out and now THIS update.
Want even higher sound quality that not only competes but kills most todays TOTL daps? Just add the pa10 which costs 600 bucks and you are good for the next 3-4 years easily. The sp1k sounds definitely better with the pa10 than with a dedicated amp.
it's true the sp1000ss is the most natural-sounding dap I've ever had
not to mention classical music which sounds phenomenal on the SP1000SS
I am planning to buy sp2000cu but is it worth it compared to sp1000ss?

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #9,384 of 9,406
it's true the sp1000ss is the most natural-sounding dap I've ever had
not to mention classical music which sounds phenomenal on the SP1000SS
I am planning to buy sp2000cu but is it worth it compared to sp1000ss?
From memory, the sp2k cu has more forward mids and sounds slightly more aggressive in the midrange (the SS version of the sp2k was bit too sharp and spicy already). Its slightly more dynamic, with bit more midbass punch and very slightly bigger soundstage (this will depend on your headphones tho, for me the differences were rather minor).
The sp1k ss has more exaggerated separation and sounds more airy, so it better fits with classical or movie soundtracks. The sp2k will fit better with vocal music but can be slightly too aggressive, still keeping this velvety and organic midrange, so whatever floats your boat.
The hights are identical on both, at least to my ears. I personally like the sp1k slightly more but the sp2k is a monster too.
The sp1k has better battery life and charges faster.
I use the sp1k with the pa10 anyways and with the amp, it surpasses the sp2k by a fair margin. But you can also add the pa10 to the sp2k and the sound will be also elevated to new hights.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #9,385 of 9,406
From memory, the sp2k cu has more forward mids and sounds slightly more aggressive in the midrange (the SS version of the sp2k was bit too sharp and spicy already). Its slightly more dynamic, with bit more midbass punch and very slightly bigger soundstage (this will depend on your headphones tho, for me the differences were rather minor).
The sp1k ss has more exaggerated separation and sounds more airy, so it better fits with classical or movie soundtracks. The sp2k will fit better with vocal music but can be slightly too aggressive, still keeping this velvety and organic midrange, so whatever floats your boat.
The hights are identical on both, at least to my ears. I personally like the sp1k slightly more but the sp2k is a monster too.
The sp1k has better battery life and charges faster.
I use the sp1k with the pa10 anyways and with the amp, it surpasses the sp2k by a fair margin. But you can also add the pa10 to the sp2k and the sound will be also elevated to new hights.
For me, compared to Wm1z, sp1000ss is definitely an underrated dap

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #9,389 of 9,406
IMO in terms of design/visual appearance SP1000SS with its truly-high-end-audio-look is still the best portable device ever made (all-around). Only SP1000SS has that high-end-audio-look to me and all other devices that I ever saw are 'just devices'

Yeah i think this design has started all the followers icluding Fiio M11 series, some IBasso daps, Hidizs and some more. But none of them was as elegant and refined as the sp1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back